How can football win back the generation lost by lockdown?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Poll who?

The people on this site are hardcore Wednesday fans and a number are fans abroad

it's not Wednesday fans going on SWFC forums at risk of being lost

It's the kids who have bought a console or a new Ipad in the last year who are on that instead of watching the matches anymore etc

There's loads on here saying they aren't renewing, or returning. 

Lost generation of kids my arris. Me and the missus have been taking one grandson, with another 2 keen to come also. The one we take already, keeps asking when we can go back. He's had a new games console and iPad, has have the other two. Still keen young Wednesday fans, and their Wednesday shirts were top of their Xmas list.

Fake news.

Just now, Doghouse Daz said:

There's loads on here saying they aren't renewing, or returning. 

Lost generation of kids my arris. Me and the missus have been taking one grandson, with another 2 keen to come also. The one we take already, keeps asking when we can go back. He's had a new games console and iPad, has have the other two. Still keen young Wednesday fans, and their Wednesday shirts were top of their Xmas list.

Fake news.

Genuinely think you're putting your fingers in your ears on this one mate

You're in for a big shock

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

I think there will be a slump as some will inevitably realise how much time and money you get back without going to football. Any subsequent recession from the pandemic will also play a part.

It will come back as before though. People used to go to matches for good reason, and most will get the 'bug' again. New fans are always coming along, and Wednesday's challenge will be to get them on board. Unfortunately we seem to be doing everything we can at the moment to drive fans towards our local rivals

• Like 1

Playing attacking exciting football. Many fans are more enthused about the match day experience than actually watching wednesday. The game is not the same on tv. Just because they not watched game on tv does not mean they no longer swfc fan or supporters. I always have preferred away games. I like the traveling, seeing a different town or city and the day out. Watching the actual game is normally an anti climax. The odd ones that arent make up for it but that still doesnt make a difference to whether i would stop going. If we had a brilliant exciting team to watch it would make the day much more enjoyable but is not the be old and end old of the day out.

I used to get a season ticket out of habit rather than anything else. When the kop got seated I stopped getting a season ticket as it wasn't the same.

If we want to get the next generations watching wednesday on the tv or at the game then playing good exciting football will be all whats needed to keep a fan base around the same as the avg now, But if we want to get more standing needs to be reintroduced with cheaper prices. That would solve most of the things that are keeping people away.

Those fans old enough to remember big ron will recall how just the atmosphere and enjoyment of games increased so quickly. Sheffield had a buzz around it due to football alone. This could return with a decent team and then prem football

• Like 5

a winning team usually pulls in the wavering fans ....all  these"  i'm not putting another penny in till he's gone "types will be  chasing tickets if we get to wembley for the  league one play offs in the next year or two . .......

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I know loads of people me included who have no interest in returning 

Can sit at home, watch the games on iptv for 40 quid a year 

Have as much beer/food as you want without getting ripped off 

Don't have to worry about parking, getting some shirt filler telling me where I can and can't stand 

Why anyone would wanna return to Hillsborough and watch that dross at 35£ a ticket, I don't know 

Gotta be pure habit 

Alot of clubs will be hit with reality when grounds are back open when seeing the amount that attend 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

(No chansiri posts - this isn't about the chairman)

Of course it's about the Chairman. He determines the management strategy  and sets out the plan for the direction the club. We have none of this other than a poor squad, a poor academy, an expensive match day and merchandise, an overpriced advertising and commercial experience. Chansiri has taken the fans for mugs who have woken up to the fact this club is going nowhere whilever is at the helm. Fans have gotten out of the habit and decided to spend their cash and time doing other things.

• Like 1

I started going when i was about 6 years old when we were still in the premier league. When we got relegated my dad never renewed his st, but when i was old enough to go with my mates I couldn’t resist going back, even in league 1. 

Although that was before the days of ridiculous prices. 

• Like 1

In the years just after World War 2 it was a boom time in football attendances as people wanted to get back to normal and enjoy life again.

Think that might happen again but probably not quite to that degree.

The point is about football in general I think Wednesday might have some embarrassing low crowds next season assuming we are back to normal.

15,000 for a average Saturday, 12-13,000 midweek games. Probably 20,000 at most for big games.

Had a few conversations about this recently.. I know season ticket holders, family and friends, some of which have been going many, many years, who are that fed up with the way that the club is being run.. alongside the long covid absence they really are not bothered about going again, at least in the immediate future. 

I think a lot of people have found other ways to spend their Saturdays and will also be looking to maximise their time with family and friends when they are able to.  Attendances will be down across the leagues. Clubs need to give the fans a reason to return and getting relegated certainly won't help. 

I think given the option a lot of people would stay at home and watch the match online. 

For many young uns it’s all about the product and the product needs to interest them, grab their attention and fit into their daily / weekly routines.

Routine has gone out of the window for the vast majority and it’s no surprise that many will lose interest in what they once prioritised.

SWFC - the product - is dire and its eating itself from within. It’s imploding and simply not an attractive option for many. Why surround yourself with that rubbish? Hard to argue against unless it is engrained within you and then you simply suffer through your ‘enjoyment’.

Football eventually, like Pop, will eat itself. 

Edited by GMOwl72

Watching the ball hit the back of opponents net is what we all go to a football match to see isn’t it?

It maybe an overly simplistic view but that’s when the exhilaration happens and makes us want keep turning up.

When it’s not happening, it just becomes drudgery and unfortunately it’s been like that for a few years now.

So... Score goals lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on...

let's be reyt here

I think you're all misunderstanding the question/point

We've had a year of lockdown of people not going to matches

That's a lifetime to some people

People will have bought a new console, got a new Ipad, a new VR headset etc etc and do other things with their time

The ticket prices aren't relevant to this point because the point is a wider one 

Life in general has changed and people have found other ways to live their lives

This isn't necessarily about SWFC or the ticket prices or promotion or winning games

This is about a total lifestyle shift for a generation of fans who (believe it or not) might not be ever tempted back regardless of ticket prices, league position etc

A bit generalistic but fans of teams who are on the up will be looking forward to getting back & fans of teams on the slide will perhaps need to do more to get the fans back.

Price will be a factor. Plenty have lost money or some financial security in the past year and will be more aware of what they spend money on. 

ifollow doesn't hold the attention of either of my kids (aged 10 and 12).

They both loved going to games pre covid and are both itching to go back to Hillsborough. 

Key thing is making sure it's affordable for families to get into games. 

Also exciting, winning football will help. 

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Sadly Neil..it HAS to be about the chairman...Interaction and an understanding of the folk that actually live in the City where "his" club is.

Until that starts, or he leaves..I honestly can't see how we even begin the process of dragging Owls fans back

Agreed, i was talking to a mate who supports L##ds, he was telling me how they dropped on their owner in a bar in L##ds and he came over spent a fair bit of time talking about his plans for the club and when he'd finished he sent a round of drinks over to the table. Apparently he did this with a few groups of fans and was really open and honest with them.

Would love to hear something like this about our chairman but doubt i will as he seems so out of touch with our fans.