All that talent, still we managed not to go up.

I know we all blame Mr C for the current predicament, and rightly so, but thinking of the squad we had around 15/16, assembled entirely with the money he poured into the club, how did we possibly manage to avoid automatic promotion ? Can't blame him or his advisors for that. You only get one shot, two at the most, to buy yourselves out of the Championship. I don't see any club now, even Norwich, who have the embarrassment of riches we had.

First season under CC we played some great stuff but we were no where near good enough to go up.  

Second season we were more effective but lacked the real killer instinct to go after teams.  

If we had rolled the dice on a new manager going into the next season I think we would have done better.

• Like 6

Our terrible former manager has his team knock Porto out last night and through to Cup Final.

Despite us throwing $$$$ at the 2015 season I think it merely brought us up to the general expenditure of upper mid table sides.

Depressingly there's a very strong correlation between player wages being high and success.

I started watching the Owls back in 78 , was easier being a can then after the Green Un was read ,there was only an article on back page of Star each day ,rather than the 24 hour force feed of doom of social media

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Massively disagree in terms of talent. For example Norwich on paper are much better than our team under Carlos. 

I don't think they were ever anywhere near automatic promotion standard. 

I reckon they'd be about Bournemouth level this season. Overall I think by finishing 6th and 4th we pretty much hit our ceiling. Don't forget we finished 4th in a year where Huddersfield and Reading (who were both awful) were also up there. 

• Like 2

Our side was good and we spent a lot of money but it never felt like an automatic promotion side to me anyway. 
The season of the semi final defeat to Huddersfield was a disaster because I think we were probably the best team in the playoffs but we failed. With that defeat the gamble had failed. Our overspending caught up with us and it was downhill all the way after that. 
Hey ho.

• Like 1

The Hull team we played in the play off final was a better side on paper than ours.

Plenty of premier league experience with Dawson, Davies, Livermore, Huddestone and Snodgrass.

Diame’s legs in midfield, Andy Robertson at left back and Harry Maguire on the bench

• Like 4

Just now, CircleSeven said:

Our side was good and we spent a lot of money but it never felt like an automatic promotion side to me anyway. 
The season of the semi final defeat to Huddersfield was a disaster because I think we were probably the best team in the playoffs but we failed. With that defeat the gamble had failed. Our overspending caught up with us and it was downhill all the way after that. 
Hey ho.

I remember how poor we were that season. We played defensive football and were regularly finding ourselves on the right side of tight games. We only scored more than 2 goals a game on a handful of occasions from memory. That defeat to Huddersfield had been coming. I remember feeling shocked we'd managed to get to 81 points at the time because we were bang average. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

We should have gone up in 2016/2017, but went all negative and pragmatic.

Meant we never properly challenged for automatic like we should have done.

Just fact checked and we only scored more than 2 goals 3 times in 48 games that season. Hard to get promoted like that. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I remember how poor we were that season. We played defensive football and were regularly finding ourselves on the right side of tight games. We only scored more than 2 goals a game on a handful of occasions from memory. That defeat to Huddersfield had been coming. I remember feeling shocked we'd managed to get to 81 points at the time because we were bang average. 

This is very true.

After last night's sorry display, I was thinking about how many times Rotherham come here and get a good result.

In that 2016/2017 season, we beat them at Hillsborough with a last minute pen in an awful game.

I think Carlos looked at the style of the 3 teams who went up in 2016 (Boro, Burnley and Hull) and thought that was the way to go 

Still bugs me that only Huddersfield at home and a very ordinary Reading at Wembley stood in our way of the PL

• Like 4

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Fair enough. I think all teams in the play offs that season were average though. Us, Huddersfield, Fulham and Reading were all a bit average. Some of our performances were good that season. Newcastle at home for example. We should have had it in us to get past Huddersfield IMO. Doesn’t matter now I know but there you go.