Message from Izzy Brown about the corner

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Give yourself a break Izzy that corner was one of 400 plus in a season of which many have been poor. We had enough chances to win two games last night. The fault lies at the top of the flights of stairs in the South Stand ! 

How do you take a corner at the top of south stand ?? Izzy was taking responsibility for a bad corner kick. Good on him. The result was not his fault but the teams. If more players admitted to individual mistakes they can work at not doing it again. DC has made mistakes but not taking bad corners. I sure if more wednesday players held their hands up to errors and felt the same way as Izzy afterwards we would have less individual errors in the team.

My point is that we should all appreciate the feedback from players and DEFINITELY NOT slate them for it. Even better would be feedback on what they plan to do to make sure they dont do it again. Just because someone is a professional footballer does not mean that training is only for fitness. All the very best players practised constantly the things they eventually became famous for

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

How do you take a corner at the top of south stand ?? Izzy was taking responsibility for a bad corner kick. Good on him. The result was not his fault but the teams. If more players admitted to individual mistakes they can work at not doing it again. DC has made mistakes but not taking bad corners. I sure if more wednesday players held their hands up to errors and felt the same way as Izzy afterwards we would have less individual errors in the team.

My point is that we should all appreciate the feedback from players and DEFINITELY NOT slate them for it. Even better would be feedback on what they plan to do to make sure they dont do it again. Just because someone is a professional footballer does not mean that training is only for fitness. All the very best players practised constantly the things they eventually became famous for

I don’t think it’s the admitting the mistake for me, it’s the ‘we go again Saturday and put it right’ comment. If we actually saw a team trying to put things right it would be ok but how many awful performances has there been followed by another then another. It makes the comment sound like your teenage child saying yeah yeah I’ll tidy up next time, with absolutely no intention of doing!

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist

I think the players are takin the pi55 out of us with these messages..i bet they all laugh about it in their snidey little whatsapp groups

1 hour ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Agreed. But I really think he wasn't meant to take the corner. He left the ball in the quarter circle and started to run towards the edge of the box. Nobody came to take it so he went back knowing time was at a premium and rushed it. Thus saving time but doing something he was not feeling confidant doing. If he had over hit the corner Rotherham would have countered.

As for practising its something that Beckham and Ronaldo was known far. They would stay after training to take kicks from dead ball situations over and over. An hour a day will improve and help produce a more accurate and consistent strike of the ball. The fact he was fairly fresh after just coming on and the importance of the situation in the final minute I think a more experienced pro would have wasted 20 to 30 seconds before taking it so Rotherham could not have time after the corner to counter attack. 

Taking a good corner is not luck. It takes loads of practise to get good at them. The area is 50 yards away and where the ball needs to be at head height the difference of half a yard makes all the difference of being a good or bad corner. I dont think we have scored from a corner all season. Just lumping the ball into the penalty area hoping we get a head on it is not good enough.

Ron atkinson was the best at  coming up with imaginative free kicks and corners. I know its something that training sessions sometimes was totally devoted to practising new routines. Mainly on days after night games when legs are still stiff. The Sheridan to Worthington down the line free kick worked lots of times.

If I was Izzy I would have stayed an extra 2 hours practising corners with 3 defenders zone marking and a GK then a forward aiming at the edge of goal area and dropping on the length of front back and middle of goal. The difference to how accurate his corners are would drastically improve.

Don't know what to say about that lot ,

I'm 60 not 6 

2 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

The only thing izzy brown cares about is his bank balance and his social media rep

The players deserve everything they get (not abuse) 

They've entered a profession where they are paid very well to entertain and win football matches 

They love the praise when they are doing well, so should expect criticism when they are doing awful 

Anyone who actually believes izzy is hurting needs to stop watching football 

They guy will have forgot all about us by the end of may

This is what does my head in with the social media Micky! They love giving it the big one and having smoke blown up their ariss when things are going well but then expect us to swallow their hollow platitudes when it goes ******** up. I don't agree with the abuse but you can't be a public figure on social media and expect to have it all you're own way. 

Tell you what Izzy. 

Forget about the corner it's gone. 

Just accept you're going bald, get your hair cut and take that stupid fkn headband off.

Get on the practice ground, put in some proper work on self improvement. 

Refrain from social media until you are commenting on your part in games the team won and you influenced.

Oh and if you plan on taking any more corners practice them and makesure you at least clear the first man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Agreed. But I really think he wasn't meant to take the corner. He left the ball in the quarter circle and started to run towards the edge of the box. Nobody came to take it so he went back knowing time was at a premium and rushed it. Thus saving time but doing something he was not feeling confidant doing. If he had over hit the corner Rotherham would have countered.

As for practising its something that Beckham and Ronaldo was known far. They would stay after training to take kicks from dead ball situations over and over. An hour a day will improve and help produce a more accurate and consistent strike of the ball. The fact he was fairly fresh after just coming on and the importance of the situation in the final minute I think a more experienced pro would have wasted 20 to 30 seconds before taking it so Rotherham could not have time after the corner to counter attack. 

Taking a good corner is not luck. It takes loads of practise to get good at them. The area is 50 yards away and where the ball needs to be at head height the difference of half a yard makes all the difference of being a good or bad corner. I dont think we have scored from a corner all season. Just lumping the ball into the penalty area hoping we get a head on it is not good enough.

Ron atkinson was the best at  coming up with imaginative free kicks and corners. I know its something that training sessions sometimes was totally devoted to practising new routines. Mainly on days after night games when legs are still stiff. The Sheridan to Worthington down the line free kick worked lots of times.

If I was Izzy I would have stayed an extra 2 hours practising corners with 3 defenders zone marking and a GK then a forward aiming at the edge of goal area and dropping on the length of front back and middle of goal. The difference to how accurate his corners are would drastically improve.

The area isn’t 50 yards away, the half way line is usually about 50 yards and the middle of the area is probably about 25 yards.

I’ve never played football to a decent standard or kicked a ball for about 10 years but I’d expect to take a better corner than that. It’s not hard to hit it somewhere between the 6 yard line and penalty spot then let the players attack it 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The area isn’t 50 yards away, the half way line is usually about 50 yards and the middle of the area is probably about 25 yards.

I’ve never played football to a decent standard or kicked a ball for about 10 years but I’d expect to take a better corner than that. It’s not hard to hit it somewhere between the 6 yard line and penalty spot then let the players attack it 

Apparently Beckham and Ronaldo had massive problems and practiced all the time on corners 

Hope you are ready for a lecture !

4 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Yes it was a bad corner. I think he didnt want to even take it in the first place. He was big enough to still have a go and it did not come off. He has admitted it was poor. Hopefully this will encourage him to work on the corners or swfc to work a better set up with the set plays.

i can understand players  not wanting to take a last minute penalty but   for being big enough to have a go  at taking  a last minute corner is hard to get my head around ........

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, the monk said:

Apparently Beckham and Ronaldo had massive problems and practiced all the time on corners 

Hope you are ready for a lecture !

I mean there’s an art to it of course and practice helps with the flight of the ball and targeting a man. But taking a basic corner isn’t difficult even for a very average amateur.

These players are professional.. it should be expected that they can kick a ball in a straight ish line for 25 yards. He’s probably taking a million or so a year so that’s my expectation of him anyway.

If someone did that in a Sunday league side in the last minute in a game that you needed to win the rest of the team would have a right go. Our players just stroll off and tell the media ‘on to the next one, we go again’. It’s irritating 

45 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I mean there’s an art to it of course and practice helps with the flight of the ball and targeting a man. But taking a basic corner isn’t difficult even for a very average amateur.

These players are professional.. it should be expected that they can kick a ball in a straight ish line for 25 yards. He’s probably taking a million or so a year so that’s my expectation of him anyway.

If someone did that in a Sunday league side in the last minute in a game that you needed to win the rest of the team would have a right go. Our players just stroll off and tell the media ‘on to the next one, we go again’. It’s irritating 

Bang on,   apparently Izzy "was big enough to take it " i mean WTF ,it was a corner!!

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I’ve finally calmed down from the other night but having watched Brown’s corner, it’s about the same level as my 9 year old son. Totally embarrassing.

What actually wee wees me off more is Shaw, Marriott and Harris. With time up on the clock Shaw and Marriott should have killed their lad on the touch line even if they got carded. Then Harris is one on one. Take the lad out. It’s the last kick of the game FFS! Look at what Brentford did to us last week. We are ******* and it costs us time and again and as a result we will be relegated!

You know I have been trying to think how can you connect with the players particularly during covid, and to try to impress on them how lucky they are to be doing what they do. I was interested to see this thread, I don't use twitter, as at first I thought well at least the lad has the stones to stand up and be counted. Having said that the 'we go again and make up for it' just wound me up so I am left with this....

Seriously Izzy, gofuck yourself son, you will be just aswank on Saturday because you are simply average at best at the job you do. Next time you take a corner for us if we are ahead or drawing, just roll it over the line for a goal kick and keep us in the game, I wont criticize you for that as you are average, just average.

Now, I know that doesn't help, but it made me chuckle which is a lot more than average Izzy and his pals are doing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

But you aren't Izzy and I doubt that he was working on his corner kicking technique last night.

Yes, it was a crap corner, but Harris should have taken one for the team instead of just effectively moving to one side and saying to their player “go on mate, take a shot”

Its what other more professional teams would have done in that situation.

53 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, it was a crap corner, but Harris should have taken one for the team instead of just effectively moving to one side and saying to their player “go on mate, take a shot”

Its what other more professional teams would have done in that situation.

Although Harris's defending was a steaming bag of excrement, he's a winger and Its never easy when you're last man being ran towards your own goal. He could have tried to take him out but could easily have been left on his arse. As it was he showed him far too much and a player who's done nothing all season had time to look up and curl one in from 25 yards out. 

On 04/03/2021 at 00:56, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 00.55.37.jpg

First it was Gary Teale's Bentley 

Then it was Gary Fletchers sportscar

Now it's Izzy Brown's car

Our fans really don't like our players having cars do they?

Are our fans the weirdest when it comes to players having cars?

lol

They should all drive second hand Volkswagen beetles like Jurgen Klinsmann when he was at Spurs. He gave a big chunk of his money to Greenpeace, but Sheffield Wednesday players from now on may have to drive them because of the huge drop in wages when we go down a division and have to play all our home games at the New York stadium 😉.

• Love 1

Can guarantee you  that tomorrow at Reading we will still be taking crap corners.... as a squad of players we mentally and physically weak ... they don’t seem to learn anything.. always letting in last minute goals time and time again .....Fragile weak players....... For example.... When Jordan Rhodes refused to take a penalty against his old club in the play off semi final he should have been transfer listed or sacked ... writing was on the wall then