Lewis Wing - Rotherham's midfielder

Guest mkowl
Just now, Kopparberg said:

Good player.

The sort we need to find 14 of to get out of League One. 

Imagine a midfielder that can do midfielder type things. 

It sucks to be us. 

Thats what gets me

We have midfielders that appear to have one attribute that makes them a midfielder. Oh he can tackle, he can pass, he can run.

Sorry I expect my midfield player to do all those and be exceptionally good at one of them.

Midfield is the engine room, we have a lawnmower engine in a ten tonne truck

any midfield in this league is better than ours in fact most league 1 midfields are better . we have been playing with 3 centre halfs and 3 in centre mid most of this season due to our midfield and defence been so bad.  darren moore is trying to get these players to play football he is soon finding out that they cant , im expecting us to get a couple of 6-0 drubbings in the next month . 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Thats what gets me

We have midfielders that appear to have one attribute that makes them a midfielder. Oh he can tackle, he can pass, he can run.

Sorry I expect my midfield player to do all those and be exceptionally good at one of them.

Midfield is the engine room, we have a lawnmower engine in a ten tonne truck

you look at other games in this league even poor teams and they have energy in midfield and drive . might as well get those old men out who played walking football to have a game wouldn`t be any slower

Just another example that there were the players out there, in both windows, if only our recruitment team had bothered to look. Most of our rivals strengthened their squads in January ahead of the run in. Totally shambolic that we failed to address our shortcomings in that recent window. We needed a number nine, a focal point to our attack but let two young players, who had all the attributes we should have been looking for, slip the net. Morris, 3 goals in 3 games for play off hopefuls Barnsley, and the young lad, Adebayo at Luton, who gave us the run around on Saturday. Both went for peanuts, half of what we paid for the hapless Paterson, but meanwhile, we were supposedly chasing the £2m rated Cosgrove!! Could we not find a left back on loan anywhere, and with the fragility of our midfield, was there not an energetic young midfield player available, like the Rotherham lad. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Hard to judge. He’s obviously a decent player but then you have to consider the opposition. Playing against us is like playing against an over 40s walking football team.

ive just commented then seen your post ive put the walking football bit in too , it seems we all see this yet this hasn`t been addressed in past 3-4 years . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Just another example that there were the players out there, in both windows, if only our recruitment team had bothered to look. Most of our rivals strengthened their squads in January ahead of the run in. Totally shambolic that we failed to address our shortcomings in that recent window. We needed a number nine, a focal point to our attack but let two young players, who had all the attributes we should have been looking for, slip the net. Morris, 3 goals in 3 games for play off hopefuls Barnsley, and the young lad, Adebayo at Luton, who gave us the run around on Saturday. Both went for peanuts, half of what we paid for the hapless Paterson, but meanwhile, we were supposedly chasing the £2m rated Cosgrove!! Could we not find a left back on loan anywhere, and with the fragility of our midfield, was there not an energetic young midfield player available, like the Rotherham lad. 

id love journos to do there job properly and ask chansiri why our recruitment has been so bad since 2016 and why are the same people still doing this recruitment job when clearly they aint upto it , any other job/company these people would have been sacked 2-3 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, morganowl said:

id love journos to do there job properly and ask chansiri why our recruitment has been so bad since 2016 and why are the same people still doing this recruitment job when clearly they aint upto it , any other job/company these people would have been sacked 2-3 years ago. 

Too true. The worry for me is, or it would be if I cared anymore, they have just advised DC to appoint Darren Moore. Given their track record, you have think that it’s not going to turn out well, don’t you. 
Like every bad signing, or appointment, I hope it is going to turn out well, but our recruitment team are so horrendously inept, I simply don’t trust them

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve highlighted the problems with those players. They aren’t in our target market.

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I’ve highlighted the problems with those players. They aren’t in our target market.

This is the thing, what was our brief?  Let’s for the moment concentrate on our need for a number 9 

At the start of the season, we needed to bring in a centre forward In fact we probably needed two, as not only did we not have one in the side, but we’d cleared out all the potential understudy’s from the U23s. The brief should have been clear, a player with the physical attributes to lead the line, winning the ball, holding the ball up and bringing others into play, and of course, offering a goal threat. 
Right so where do we find that type of player? We couldn’t afford a ready made centre forward in his prime, as the fee would have been beyond us. Well not in the UK anyway, although there were plenty of options on the continent, that were well within our budget. So our options were, to find a short term solution, bringing in a veteran number 9, like we did with Fletcher, or find an up and coming young target man from either the lower leagues, or pluck one from the reserve sides of another club In truth, we probably need both, one for the here and now, and one to develop. The remit was clear, or should have been. OK, so what part of that remit did Paterson fill? Presumably we had watched him, and if so, whatever possessed us to shell out half a million pounds for him? Actually this isn’t his fault, he isn’t a centre forward, despite what he says. Surely we’ve all seen enough of him now, to know that he has none of the attributes a centre forward needs. He doesn’t even think like a centre forward. 
We could have taken a veteran centre forward on loan for a season, and brought in a youngster like Adebayo, for the same price as what we paid for Paterson and Windass. It’s not me being wise after the event, I said when we were first linked with the pair, that they were not what we needed, and suggested more viable alternatives, most of whom have gone on to find success This required no great insight from me, it should have been clear to anyone who had watched them, not least someone in a professional capacity, charged with recruitment

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is the thing, what was our brief?  Let’s for the moment concentrate on our need for a number 9 

At the start of the season, we needed to bring in a centre forward In fact we probably needed two, as not only did we not have one in the side, but we’d cleared out all the potential understudy’s from the U23s. The brief should have been clear, a player with the physical attributes to lead the line, winning the ball, holding the ball up and bringing others into play, and of course, offering a goal threat. 
Right so where do we find that type of player? We couldn’t afford a ready made centre forward in his prime, as the fee would have been beyond us. Well not in the UK anyway, although there were plenty of options on the continent, that were well within our budget. So our options were, to find a short term solution, bringing in a veteran number 9, like we did with Fletcher, or find an up and coming young target man from either the lower leagues, or pluck one from the reserve sides of another club In truth, we probably need both, one for the here and now, and one to develop. The remit was clear, or should have been. OK, so what part of that remit did Paterson fill? Presumably we had watched him, and if so, whatever possessed us to shell out half a million pounds for him? Actually this isn’t his fault, he isn’t a centre forward, despite what he says. Surely we’ve all seen enough of him now, to know that he has none of the attributes a centre forward needs. He doesn’t even think like a centre forward. 
We could have taken a veteran centre forward on loan for a season, and brought in a youngster like Adebayo, for the same price as what we paid for Paterson and Windass. It’s not me being wise after the event, I said when we were first linked with the pair, that they were not what we needed, and suggested more viable alternatives, most of whom have gone on to find success This required no great insight from me, it should have been clear to anyone who had watched them, not least someone in a professional capacity, charged with recruitment

I don’t know if it’s that we literally aren’t bothering looking for these types of players and only looking for established players instead or that the younger ones with promise aren’t interested in us given our previous poor record of developing players and general state of the club?

Probably a bit of both.