Liam Shaw

24 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Saw him several times in the U23s and he stood out. Refereed him at SWFC Academy at several levels and he stood out. The coaches are very good at spotting and working with talent. There's some great talent lower down but it's only the ones that really stand out that might make it at a higher level. He stood out. His temperament and ability had the makings of a pro footballer throughout his progression.

For me the best academies in order are:

Barnsley

SUFC

RUFC

SWFC

I was also involved in one of South Yorkshire's top junior clubs for many years (6-16)...we had every age group in A Division and many of today's pro players came through the top 6/7 clubs in the league. Talent really isn't hard to spot...it's hard to keep.

Fans only get to see players breaking through when most of the hard work is done...and then we are all experts.

Standing out in under 23's is a complete different kettle of fish, Kirby and Hunt used to stand out. 

As you say it's easy to spot talent, but how much talent have you seen fail at the last hurdle for one reason or another. 
Talent is hard to keep in Junior football as you've said but on a professional level for our club not to be protecting these young players with a simple clause is horrifying.
Such a simple clause which would save us from this exact situation. 

He signed his pro contract two years ago, he was in and around training with the first team, if it was so clear and obvious he was going to make the transition so smoothly then why wasn't he offered  A: A longer term deal or B: A clause that the club could trigger.

Same applies to Osaze Uroghide.

• Like 1

I was against him still playing at first but to be honest he was one of the only players last night that looked like they could actually be arsed.

If we had a team full of players that put in the effort he did we wouldn't be in this mess, why should he miss out on playing football?

Hopefully half of these wasters that played last night won't be here next season, Shaw playing isn't the problem.

Can’t be bothered to read all the posts in this thread but Shaw was our best player last night, some of his passing was great and better than the captain’s who is meant to be some passing genius, last seen in 2016.

Shaw seems to still be putting the effort in so I would play him till he runs himself into the ground.  Won’t be our fitness problem over the summer anymore 

1 hour ago, bobness said:

Either way. If you're already going to extend a professional contract (an action which indicates you believe there's potential), make it for more than 12 months.

True, most won't pan out, but it's relatively cheap, so you don't need many players to be a success for the strategy to pay off. 

It's incredible how this isn't obvious to anyone, never mind a team which went through the George Hirst debacle... 

Sometime ago I suggested we include an option for a further year in U23's contracts so we can keep them if they look like the real deal. That gives us a chance to get something for them in situations like we have with Shaw.

21 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Sure he played OK last night but he has sh*t on Sheffield Wednesday.

Let him go the Mickey Mouse league but let us use the next games prior to League One to prepare for that outcome.

Shaw is now irrelevant.

He hasn't sh*t on anyone.

Sheffield Wednesday allowed his contract to run down to only months left before offering a new contract. Sheffield Wednesday offered him a meagre salary increase, one that if rumours are to be believed would be meagre for a League Two regular, let alone someone who would be a regular starter in League One. Expecting him to agree to those terms because of "loyalty" when the club haven't prioritised your staying, incentivised you to stay, and offering you a fraction of what you get elsewhere is actually us shafting him really.

• Like 2

Dear Mr Chansiri,

I quite like the look of the lad Galvin who is currently playing left back in the development team. I note his contract runs out next summer.

I'd like you to offer him a new contract now because I don't want to let it get to the stage where he can walk like young Shaw. I know from your recent comments in the press that you feel I should have told you sooner about that one.

I don't want to let the club down again with my slackness in telling you well in advance.

Kind regards

LS

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Surely would be better using him as one of the forward three midfielders rather than as one of the holding two.

Would be better as the ONLY holding midfield player, Hutch at Centre half, and Bannan forced to get further forward ,

17 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Dear Mr Chansiri,

I quite like the look of the lad Galvin who is currently playing left back in the development team. I note his contract runs out next summer.

I'd like you to offer him a new contract now because I don't want to let it get to the stage where he can walk like young Shaw. I know from your recent comments in the press that you feel I should have told you sooner about that one.

I don't want to let the club down again with my slackness in telling you well in advance.

Kind regards

LS

lol

Made me chuckle 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Dear Mr Chansiri,

Kind regards

LS

So true

Owlstalk Shop