Liam Shaw

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Did you watch him last night? He deserves to be playing higher than League One.

For me he was the standout player on the pitch. He can be naive at times with fouls but that will come with experience.

No doubt in my mind he’ll become a regular for Celtic. Lad has all the qualities needed. 

300k ffs.

I did, but in this instance age plus the actual league we will be playing in works against him.

The annoying thing behind all this is rightly or wrongly, I believe that had we in late December/early January offered him a contract with the pay packet of a League One player for a decent League One club, with sensible incremental bonuses and salary increases depending on performance and appearances, he would have signed without much hesitation.

I also believe we could easily build a League One team around him and two or three others we currently have (I include Urhoghide in that too) that would be good to watch and would help them all realise their potential, subsequently either getting promoted or earning Wednesday a couple of million quid. It would have gone a long way to stopping the substantial rot.

As it is, we're too much of a basket case to even do that.

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

Did Shaw play in the first team this season before Pulis gave him his chance?

It seemed like Hunt was the one getting pushed as a first team player, he doesn't look ready to me whereas Shaw came in and looked the business.

Yes monk started him against boro last season. He was on the bench for a few games last season and this season pre Pulis I think.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fatzooma said:

I don’t...just don’t see the point in playing him. He’s going. 

He's still under contract and the only one fighting on the pitch. 

Why freeze him out. It's not like he's rabble rousing in the dressing room.

If he's willing to play and put 100% effort in then let him play.

26 minutes ago, prowl said:

It seemed like Hunt was the one getting pushed as a first team player, he doesn't look ready to me whereas Shaw came in and looked the business.

They do play in other games, not just first team. Should still be able to spot his talent and potential, its all they day every day

It's embarrassing he's being picked. He's taken the wee wee out if us. If we play him he's shown he doesn't want to be here he's clumsy at times risking red cards and it's pathetic that we play him showing how weak the club is. We spend money on them bring them on and the fvuk us over and some what him in the team! You want the players to show pride for the shirt! Start by mot picking a lad who's swapping it at his first opportunity! I can understand his selfishness showing zero loyalty! For him I totally understand it but as a wednesdayite it's Wednesday I care about not a kid who done us over! Get your priorities right. All those kids in the achademy, their parents will see this and Hirst and be listening to agents and saying never mind getting a contact here they allow you to get in first team shop window and go elsewhere! More wasted money. Pointless having an achademy. 

Just now, ashley8 said:

It's embarrassing he's being picked. He's taken the wee wee out if us. If we play him he's shown he doesn't want to be here he's clumsy at times risking red cards and it's pathetic that we play him showing how weak the club is. We spend money on them bring them on and the fvuk us over and some what him in the team! You want the players to show pride for the shirt! Start by mot picking a lad who's swapping it at his first opportunity! I can understand his selfishness showing zero loyalty! For him I totally understand it but as a wednesdayite it's Wednesday I care about not a kid who done us over! Get your priorities right. All those kids in the achademy, their parents will see this and Hirst and be listening to agents and saying never mind getting a contact here they allow you to get in first team shop window and go elsewhere! More wasted money. Pointless having an achademy. 

Crikey

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Holy Mary, mother of Jesus !

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

He was our best player yesterday.

Also, if I played for Sheffield Wednesday I would look to leave as well.

Put yourselves in their position for a minute and then honestly tell me you would stay at this club

• Like 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Think you've both missed the point, i'm not talking about current time and him being within the first team set up regularly and how promising he looks now.
The only reason teams were sniffing is because of how well he's done this season they are willing to take a punt.

We're talking about before he made that step, you don't know how good they are going to be without giving them first team experience. 

Some crumble even though having potential and some really rise and settle fast like Shaw and Uroghide.

People's sat here making out like they knew he was going to be a star before he was even born FFS

Point is we should protect ourselves for this exact event with all our youngsters

Saw him several times in the U23s and he stood out. Refereed him at SWFC Academy at several levels and he stood out. The coaches are very good at spotting and working with talent. There's some great talent lower down but it's only the ones that really stand out that might make it at a higher level. He stood out. His temperament and ability had the makings of a pro footballer throughout his progression.

For me the best academies in order are:

Barnsley

SUFC

RUFC

SWFC

I was also involved in one of South Yorkshire's top junior clubs for many years (6-16)...we had every age group in A Division and many of today's pro players came through the top 6/7 clubs in the league. Talent really isn't hard to spot...it's hard to keep.

Fans only get to see players breaking through when most of the hard work is done...and then we are all experts.

59 minutes ago, prowl said:

Either way. If you're already going to extend a professional contract (an action which indicates you believe there's potential), make it for more than 12 months.

True, most won't pan out, but it's relatively cheap, so you don't need many players to be a success for the strategy to pay off. 

It's incredible how this isn't obvious to anyone, never mind a team which went through the George Hirst debacle... 

4 minutes ago, bobness said:

Either way. If you're already going to extend a professional contract (an action which indicates you believe there's potential), make it for more than 12 months.

True, most won't pan out, but it's relatively cheap, so you don't need many players to be a success for the strategy to pay off. 

It's incredible how this isn't obvious to anyone, never mind a team which went through the George Hirst debacle... 

Said this in one of the Facebook Forums and got hit with a barrage of "hindsight" responses.

I tried to explain itt's not hindsight, it's proper business & player management, but some folk are too blind or not intelligent enough to see it..

People still loved Forestieri, even when he publicly refused to play for us, never mind all the times when he said nothing but just could not be @rsed!

Fletcher was another big hero, when he was fit enough to play, but as soon as we couldn't offer him another club crippling wage for the next two years he was off!

Personally, I was never that bothered about the other mercenaries, but I am very disappointed with Shaw, especially making out he is such a fan, loves playing for the team etc, then a couple of weeks later he has actually signing a pre-contract for Celtic. You cannot imagine that his decision was based on the number of games he will play for them, because we play him just about every game that he is available. So either he is going because he bucks the trend and actually wants to live in Scotland, or, he is an even bigger Celtic fan, or, and sadly I think this is the thing that might have swung it, he has been offered a lot more money to go up there whether or not he likes the place, plays less games, or is a big fan of the club.

Football wise I think he could end up being a superstar up there in a smaller league with few big challenges each season, whereas down here he could be a superstar and play against some good talent in the championship and against some of the best talent on the planet if we ever get promoted, or if one of the prem teams decides to take him on.

Ah well, maybe he will change his mind, but, from what Chansiri has said, it does not sound as though we are going to make any further effort to sign him, or any of the other players. They have had their offers and they can like it or lump it! 

From the clubs perspective, all current players should be told, and when new players first sign, that they should have their agents arrange to re-sign a new contract with us, no later than a year before their current contract runs out, or we will consider them as going at the end of their contract and get replacements in, or ready to sign. I cannot believe that we do not have such an arrangement already. Leaving everything until the summer, especially with our slow coach methods, puts the club under pressure and gives the players the upper hand.

• Like 1

While there was a chance of survival in the Championship there was a self interest case for playing Shaw.

But as that hope has been virtually extinguished I do not wish to see Shaw playing.

Let us use the remaining games to play those who will or clearly want to be with SWFC next year.

He has chosen Scotland and the Mickey Mouse league not us.

7 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

While there was a chance of survival in the Championship there was a self interest case for playing Shaw.

But as that hope has been virtually extinguished I do not wish to see Shaw playing.

Let us use the remaining games to play those who will or clearly want to be with SWFC next year.

He has chosen Scotland and the Mickey Mouse league not us.

Yes, I wondered if we had hung Joost Van Aken out to dry for similar reasons, but I think he did his ankle in an U23s game, so he may get another game for us before he takes off for another European country in the summer.

Guest mrbluesky

Numerous players will still be in their respective first teams, whom have told their club they won't be signing a new contract or have signed a pre-contract, what's the point in "cutting your nose off to spite your face", scenario? , he's putting in the effort that certain players on that pitch should be ashamed of themselves. 

He's not the first to do this, and definitely won't be the last, but to say he shouldn't be playing is laughable in our predicament, I could understand it if we had the spoils of a top 3 team

But yeah, let's really show him and put Joey in, instead :duntmatter: (joke, I think)

I'm all for a discussion, but the actual reasoning from some fans in this thread is mind-blowing lol