Their winning goal... look at this...

Again, we fail to foul a player who goes on to score. Every other team does it. It happens to us every game. We don't do it. That goal was horrific from the second brown touched the ball and it sums up our season. We go down because of that goal and many many more like it. I'm still raging about how garbage we are. In fact, I'm not raging, I'm starting to not care. 

• Like 1

Guest Kameron
6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 00.38.07.jpg

Totally 100% hindsight but surely Wildsmith's positioning here just offers up the top right hand corner?

It does but you’ve still to put the ball in the net, had that been us with a last minute attacking opportunity with the goal keeper in a similar position it would have offered up the top right hand corner of the Kop.

9 minutes ago, Kameron said:

It does but you’ve still to put the ball in the net, had that been us with a last minute attacking opportunity with the goal keeper in a similar position it would have offered up the top right hand corner of the Kop.

Definitely

Owlstalk Shop

Wildsmith's positioning is awful. The amount of times we have conceded due to it is bonkers.

It's worse when we get a free kick, both him and Dawson seem to leave massive gaps. It's as if they think they've got massive springs in their legs and can Flash Gordon type reflexes.

I'd personally be getting rid of every keeper in the summer and getting someone new in for league 1.

9 hours ago, sharrowowl said:

Does Wildsmith know where the goal is? 

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Wildsmith’s positioning looks a touch iffy

Just now, Bluesteel said:

I think he’s had his chance here now. The only question is whether there is anyone better for league one 

And yet again Sheffield Wednesday find themselves with three goalkeepers on the books and amazingly still needing to buy a goalkeeper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Moore needs to get his philosophy on defending across to this lot pdq. When he was playing for the Dingles in a derby match against Donny he took one for the team knowing he'd be sent off for the tackle.  Stopped a breakaway attack that would have seen Donny equalise, Dingles went on to win. It's not rocket sceince.

44 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

Wildsmith's positioning is awful. The amount of times we have conceded due to it is bonkers.

It's worse when we get a free kick, both him and Dawson seem to leave massive gaps. It's as if they think they've got massive springs in their legs and can Flash Gordon type reflexes.

I'd personally be getting rid of every keeper in the summer and getting someone new in for league 1.

Wildsmith overall is iffy....

13 hours ago, sharrowowl said:

Does Wildsmith know where the goal is? 

He's in a good position cos the full back has the wrong shape to defend against the player on the outside and he hasn't got the near post covered either to stop that shot. No player threw their body in front of the shot.

It leaves Wildsmith with 3 things to cover:

The through ball to the man outside

The shot to his near post

The shot to his far post

He can only effectively cover one of those three properly, he's playing the averages here...it's not hard to see if you've ever played at a level.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

And yet again Sheffield Wednesday find themselves with three goalkeepers on the books and amazingly still needing to buy a goalkeeper

This makes the Shaw situation even worse to be honest.

The club had the 'foresight' to give two young keepers long contracts as soon as they got into the first team without either proving they were good enough to cement down the role long-term yet only offered Shaw 1-year and blame others when better-positioned clubs steal in and make better offers. 

Nobody will be buying Dawson or Wildsmith for significant money and unfortunately they haven't proven they will be the long-term answer for us. It is clear Shaw would have been an asset to the team next season. I don't think we have lost out on a huge sum of money for him as he could have gone elsewhere for a relatively small amount in a tribunal if he had wanted to but by only giving him 1-year last summer we have lost someone who would be a first team regular next season. There just doesn't seem to be a joined up approach to what we are doing at any level. 

The odd thing was we spent the previous 90mins giving away daft cheap free kicks! 

It’s the same as WBA last season (?) just trip him. Take the card, take the point! 

All other teams seem more streetwise than us. Even in this game at 1-1 Rotherham’s keeper kills the momentum faking injury and there players buy cheap fouls. We on the other hand trot alongside them all the way to our penalty box.