3 Footballers out of 11

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Is it any wonder we can’t string an attack together without a team going down to 10 and an OG piling pressure on them - we had 3 footballers on the park tonight - Bannan, Shaw and Borner. 

Palmer - League 1 

Lees - a blocker and header at best

Penney - abysmal

Reach - neshed everything

Hutch - laboured and offered nothing 

Windass - non existent, don’t even know his role 

Paterson - a complete and utter f*cking donkey and that is being nice 

I would seriously seriously get the younger lads in now - I can’t watch a side continue to not give a t0ss on the pitch and be that awful. 

I agree mate. Palmer and Penney are just not good enough. They lose the ball and are caught out of possession so many times, it’s ridiculous.

Hutch is also a major issue in midfield. He either plays centre half or not at all for me. He kills momentum so often. He doesn’t even look square or forward, he just passes backwards, often immediately to the player who has passed it to him, only the player is now under more pressure from the attacker...

Last but not least.........why are we playing Reach on the right and Windass on the left. On receiving the ball, BOTH players turn backwards and inside, killing momentum...

All that said, we had the chances tonight. We just never looked like burying them...

Goodnight.

• Like 2

I’d wish to keep Shaw (who is off)

and Borner, who does look like he was taught how to play football. 

Windass can stay if we find out what to do with him. 

Bannan is OK when we have the ball and other people move. 

Paterson is not as poor as being made out and would be useful at times. 

So all in all - I’d definitely keep one player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Any ideas when Westwood, Iorfa, Luongo or Green are back? 🤬

KW - Broken ribs is usually 4-8 weeks depending on how bad it is.

Iorfa - Won’t see him this season

Luongo - Read somewhere 6 weeks

Green - Not sure.

I've held back and can't refrain any longer, the bitterness and resentment doesn't feel like it will be dissipating any time soon and we're all ready down so may aswell just lay in to them: what a f'king spineless and inept performance. The only positive thing I can say is that tonight's performance will save me shelling out another penny on iplayer.

For some reason its been sacrosanct on here to criticise Paterson but despite the bad service, he's up there with David Graham and Andy Pearce as one of the worst forwards I've had the pleasure of watching. 

Adam Reach was competely anonymous, Its hard to believe he's 28 and should be in his prime. He looks spent and shot with nothing left in the tank. Maybe we've burned him out and had the best of him but again its symptomatic of our shambolic transfer policies. Hindsight's a wonderful thing but if the powers that be at Hillsborough knew what was coming in regards to FFP then we should have offloaded him at the first chance. 

Penney: so dissapointing, we all wanted him to flourish but there's zero determination, aggression or desire there! 

Palmer: not that anyone thought he was anymore than a steady performer but he should have been stepping up to the mark and shining as a regular in this shambles of a team. Just goes to show how he was carried by the play off teams of the past. 

Bannan: seems he has his feet firmly under the table, why the hell has he been offered a new contract? It just goes to show the level of forward planning and lack of vision the club have. 

Stan Collymore was waxing lyrical about 'our squad'  but as we all know the contingent on the bench tonight have lost their hunger/ desire, are too lightweight and ultimately aren't up to the job. 

Can't ever remember feeling so bleak and disillusioned, at least I had the ignorance and perpetual delusion of yoof during the Yorath, Laws and Irvine eras!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, lambownumber5 said:

I've held back and can't refrain any longer, the bitterness and resentment doesn't feel like it will be dissipating any time soon and we're all ready down so may aswell just lay in to them: what a f'king spineless and inept performance. The only positive thing I can say is that tonight's performance will save me shelling out another penny on iplayer.

For some reason its been sacrosanct on here to criticise Paterson but despite the bad service, he's up there with David Graham and Andy Pearce as one of the worst forwards I've had the pleasure of watching. 

Adam Reach was competely anonymous, Its hard to believe he's 28 and should be in his prime. He looks spent and shot with nothing left in the tank. Maybe we've burned him out and had the best of him but again its symptomatic of our shambolic transfer policies. Hindsight's a wonderful thing but if the powers that be at Hillsborough knew what was coming in regards to FFP then we should have offloaded him at the first chance. 

Penney: so dissapointing, we all wanted him to flourish but there's zero determination, aggression or desire there! 

Palmer: not that anyone thought he was anymore than a steady performer but he should have been stepping up to the mark and shining as a regular in this shambles of a team. Just goes to show how he was carried by the play off teams of the past. 

Bannan: seems he has his feet firmly under the table, why the hell has he been offered a new contract? It just goes to show the level of forward planning and lack of vision the club have. 

Stan Collymore was waxing lyrical about 'our squad'  but as we all know the contingent on the bench tonight have lost their hunger/ desire, are too lightweight and ultimately aren't up to the job. 

Can't ever remember feeling so bleak and disillusioned, at least I had the ignorance and perpetual delusion of yoof during the Yorath, Laws and Irvine eras!

Great post. Agree with everything apart from Bannan, one of the best players weve had since we left the Prem.  He could boss L1 if he chooses.

• Like 1

We will continue to fail as long as we have these full backs, these strikers and continue to play certain players in the wrong position.

The worst decisions Darren Moore made today was playing Penney and Palmer, plus NOT playing Reach on the left.

The other face palm decisions (Hutch in midfield, Windass on the left, Paterson up top by himself) are not so terrible as there is some logic that says it might still work... but there are very clear reasons that we have seen week-in week-out, that Darren Moore and his new staff simply (and so frustratingly) have not seen enough yet.

That's the galling thing for me. We literally know more about this squad than anyone else. We have seen previous managers try and badly fail to try certain things.  These players are not capable at this level, at this club.

• Like 3

3?

Considering the current dynamic of the side I’d  only really entertain Dunkley, Brown, Shaw, Marriot and Bannan as players that add true value 

All 3 keepers are crap, we don’t have a decent full back on the books and our options up front  have absolutely no balance to move forward with any sort of consistency 

I have no idea why Moore took this job 

Pulis was right, the recruitment and balance is a shambles 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

The worst decisions Darren Moore made today was playing Penney and Palmer, plus NOT playing Reach on the left. 

I would put my house on the starting lineup and positioning being a Neil Thompson thing and not a Darren Moore one tonight (And that's not a criticism it makes total sense it would be that way)

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I would put my house on the starting lineup and positioning being a Neil Thompson thing and not a Darren Moore one tonight (And that's not a criticism it makes total sense it would be that way)

I think Darren Moore wanted to stamp Darren Moore on the team and the system from day 1.

I think he's literally looked at the players on face value - who is a left back, who is a right back, who is a lone striker, who can play in a 3 behind etc.

I really like the appointment - in time I think his system will work for us. 

But barring a couple, not these players in it. Tonight was too soon, the players have had zero time to implement a new system and they arent good enough to adapt.

There’s a few in that line up that tonight that would do well to earn a move to League 2 when their time with us is over. I’m not a huge fan of calling out the individuals but I’d be genuinely surprised if Penney or Wildsmith ever find themselves back at this level again.

The fact that both are having to be called upon when we’ve allegedly spent £300m+ is a fairly damning indictment of the recruitment. 

There’s others in the squad who’d fall into that category too and a few more that were below par in key moments tonight but those two look miles off the level required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herb said:

The fact that both are having to be called upon when we’ve allegedly spent £300m+ is a fairly damning indictment of the recruitment.  

This is the thing for me and why I can't bring myself to have a real go at any of the young lads thrust into the team when in reality they should be nowhere near it if the club wasn't in the state it's in and having to use them

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, davey_wells said:

I really like the appointment - in time I think his system will work for us. 

I like a lot of what you say Davey but Moore is the latest in an abysmal series of managerial appointments. For starters he’s much less experienced than Cook in both Championship and L1 terms. I’d love him to be successful but that’s my heart squealing .. my head says he’s totally out of his depth. But Chansiri is getting expert at choosing abject failures. Tonight was a shambles and we never looked like enjoying the new manager bounce .... 

4 hours ago, lambownumber5 said:

If you take the view, as you and I do, that we're down then I believe we should make the most of what's left of this season by giving a chance to some young players.

We need to blood them this season, when it no longer matters, rather than next when it does.

Why play Shaw, for instance, when he's off to Shaltack at the end of the season?

A lot of the current no-hopers are off at the end of the season and simply going through the motions, so why play them if there's anyone who can replace them?

Give game time to those we're trying to develop and want to play for us, rather than to those whose loyalties lie elsewhere.

• Thanks 1