On 03/03/2021 at 23:22, Owls-Fan said:

Yeah he’s not very good is he.

I’d be looking at giving Galvin some game time at left back ready for next season 

That is a great call, thought Galvin was very good in his last first team outings...Penney on the other hand has been dire.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dooogs said:

Ooh , that's quite a statement. Worse than Julian Bennett? Worse than Peter 'scared of the ball' Gilbert? Worse than Jon Titty ******** Beswetherick?

Penney does appear to be the latest entry in the hallowed lists of utterly dogshit Wednesday left-backs over the last twenty years, though.

yer we certainly had some trash . how the hell did monk thing going into a season without a left back would work? same in january what other club hasnt got a left back on there books. 

9 minutes ago, morganowl said:

yer we certainly had some trash . how the hell did monk thing going into a season without a left back would work? same in january what other club hasnt got a left back on there books. 

Monk was lining us up in a 3-5-2, so in a way it made sense for the recruitment team not to prioritise a left-back.

Of course, that stops making sense if you then sack the manager whose system you attempted to recruit towards, replace him with a manager who wants to play a back four, and end up playing Joost van Aken as a left-back.

It's just a relatively minor example of the lack of foresight and joined-up thinking at our club in recent years.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

He's 23.

By this point Jake Bidwell, a decent Championship left back, had played over 100 games. Adam Reach was 23 when he joined. Both absolutely streets ahead of Penney by this point.

This is a very good point and a good comparison 

And people wonder why Liam Shaw is likely to move to Celtic.....to be honest if he was my kid I'd be advising him to move to Cowdenbeath if it was the only choice other than stay here and wait for the predictable vitriol that comes the way of young players, especially it seems, if they are local lads who have come through the academy.

For years we've seen journeymen players with no connection to the club come, take the money and bugger off.

But the amount of nastiness that is dished out at players coming through the academy seems to be twice as bad as anything dished out to the journeymen and I have to wonder if it's jealousy of those "I could have been a pro's" who once scored a hat trick for the dog and duck and think it makes them better than those who have actually made it.

Penney has been thrown in to a team of journeymen who aren't exactly pulling trees up.....for the last few games he's been as responsible for most of our chances as anyone else and yet all people want to do is write him off as not good enough defensively.

Not long since Dawson was saving McGoldrick's penalty and keeping a clean sheet at the lane in a game we were supposed to get hammered in and also both he and Wildsmith have a significantly better clean sheet record (a stat seen as vital to winning games by many on here) than Westwood this season. Yet both are slaughtered on here whilst Westwood is seen as the second coming.

Palmer gets grief for being steady....Tommy Spurr got dogs abuse for years despite being the second best left back we've had in the last 20 years.

Its sad that the same posters who go on about how few players come through our academy are the first to slag off those very same players when they do make it

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Dooogs said:

Ooh , that's quite a statement. Worse than Julian Bennett? Worse than Peter 'scared of the ball' Gilbert? Worse than Jon Titty ******** Beswetherick?

Penney does appear to be the latest entry in the hallowed lists of utterly dogshit Wednesday left-backs over the last twenty years, though.

Thing is, Julian Bennet and Peter Gilbert had at least shown something or had some form of career before they came to us and were turd. 

Penney hasn't even done hat. 

Matt Penney is the coolest player on the pitch

Never gets overemotional or plays to the crowd/tv cameras

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Ian said:

For years we've seen journeymen players with no connection to the club come, take the money and bugger off.

But the amount of nastiness that is dished out at players coming through the academy seems to be twice as bad as anything dished out to the journeymen and I have to wonder if it's jealousy of those "I could have been a pro's" who once scored a hat trick for the dog and duck and think it makes them better than those who have actually made it.

I take it you missed the stick dished out to Fox, Pelupessy and more recently Reach?

Overall I would say people on Owlstalk are quite supportive of young players.  Maybe there is some disappointment at yet another false dawn that prompts excessive criticism when yet another prospect fails to deliver, but overall people are keen to support.  

As far as Penney, Dawson & Wildsmith are concerned, they are 23, 25 and 25 respectively so certainly not young prospects any more.  Some of their performances this season have been very poor, so some criticism bound to follow.  As for Palmer, I wish he was “steady” as you suggest.  He’s had more than enough opportunities to prove himself but still fails to convince, nothing to do with him coming through the academy.

• Like 2

Penney played big part in our goal and put in a peach of a cross for Paterson. If that was Reach he’d be getting major plaudits from his fan boys.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Penney played big part in our goal and put in a peach of a cross for Paterson. If that was Reach he’d be getting major plaudits from his fan boys.

He's put peaches of crosses in nearly every game....many from left back....imagine what he could do if someone could tell Bannan to do one, that 4 decent set piece deliveries from 800 is a poor return and let Penney take them

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk was lining us up in a 3-5-2, so in a way it made sense for the recruitment team not to prioritise a left-back.

Of course, that stops making sense if you then sack the manager whose system you attempted to recruit towards, replace him with a manager who wants to play a back four, and end up playing Joost van Aken as a left-back.

It's just a relatively minor example of the lack of foresight and joined-up thinking at our club in recent years.

yes i know monk played 352 but he aint always used that system at other clubs he was using that system on what players he had at the club , so of cause he would have had left backs at his other clubs. total madness that was , god help us if same recruitment team are getting us a league 1 squad together ,see u soon league 2.