Matt Penney

He's an option for left side of midfield / winger.  Not a LB ..

But can't see him staying - shame - local lad and all that.. but another who has had the chance and isn't 

upto scratch.

The only one out of that team last night i'll be sorry to see go is Shaw.

Penney is not that bad a player. But I have been saying it for a long time. The problem is when he is played at left back. He has no interest whatsoever in the defensive side of the game. And many managers have decided that he is not even that good going forward to compensate for that and have not played him at all.

• Like 1

The lad has ability , but i have been really disappointed in his general attitude and approach , and that first half performance was garbage......................if that is him playing for his future then he is hiding it well.

It has to be said though that Mc Rightside,s obsession with this one player is bizarre , and bordering on creepy.

• Like 1

Love how quickly fans write players off. He’s a young lad playing in a team that’s losing every week, a team with no real leaders to help him along. He’s shown he has the quality at certain times. I think he could do a good job for us next season still. 

I remember fans quickly writing Urughide off the other year when he had two shockers at Hillsborough, now he’s everyone’s favourite. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Love how quickly fans write players off. He’s a young lad playing in a team that’s losing every week, a team with no real leaders to help him along. He’s shown he has the quality at certain times. I think he could do a good job for us next season still. 

He's 23.

By this point Jake Bidwell, a decent Championship left back, had played over 100 games. Adam Reach was 23 when he joined. Both absolutely streets ahead of Penney by this point.

I've been gutted Penney hasn't been given the chance to break through for the last couple of years. I've been frustrated successive managers have repeatedly overlooked a young talent. I remember being confused when his two domestic loans didn't get him as many games as I'd expect for someone of his obvious talent in the U23s. I remember being confused as to how he didn't get more games in the 2. Bundesliga when he was over there, because he'd for sure do a job in that division. Now I get it.

He's clearly a footballer, he clearly will be a footballer full time and make a decent living from it to boot. But he's not hungry for it. And if he is, he has to show it. He's on a one way ticket to being one of those ex youth product that has a career yo-yoing between League One and League Two IMO. Nowt wrong with that, objectively fantastic for anyone that wants to make a living out of football, but that's just the reality of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

I remember fans quickly writing Urughide off the other year when he had two shockers at Hillsborough, now he’s everyone’s favourite. 

We have players on 20k a week who fail to perform week in week out and that we are looking to make our highest paid players once again, yet people on here think that Penney is a reason why we are cr*p ?! How can anyone think that Palmer did any better than Penney today, in a must win game he hardly broke into opposition half, players like Bannan, Windass and Reach created nothing. Paterson was guilty of missing our best chances. Yes, Penney didn't do to well, but most others didn't do any better. if nothing he had hand in our goal and created our best chance of the game.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

I don’t rate him. Shaw & Urhoghide were the two worth tying down. Penney reminds me of Jack Stobbs, as we wait for something from him that probably isn’t coming.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 04/03/2021 at 07:28, morganowl said:

He was better 2nd half but that was after been the worst player 1st half ive ever seen play full back for us. 

Yep he makes van Aken look like Roberto Carlos!

On 03/03/2021 at 22:28, morganowl said:

He was better 2nd half but that was after been the worst player 1st half ive ever seen play full back for us. 

Ooh , that's quite a statement. Worse than Julian Bennett? Worse than Peter 'scared of the ball' Gilbert? Worse than Jon Titty ******** Beswetherick?

Penney does appear to be the latest entry in the hallowed lists of utterly dogshit Wednesday left-backs over the last twenty years, though.

• Haha 1

Been saying for a while that Penney's kind of lived off his decent start to his Sheffield Wednesday career under Jos. Aston Villa away and all that. Since then he's not kicked on, the reviews I read from St Pauli fans were mixed. They kind of got distorted when he scored the winner in the Hamburg Derby.

I'm sure he's a nice lad and he tries his best but I've never seen a footballer so unaware of what's going on around him, he runs in trouble thinking he can take players on when he can't, his crossing very hit and miss and defensively he isn't very good. LB isn't his position, I'm not sure he's good enough to play LWB either.

Think we could do worse than give Galvin a chance at LB. I don't think Penney will be here next season so no point persisting with him if we do stick with 4231.

• Like 1

Penney is a terrific little player with a big heart. OK, he's not at his best right now - but frankly who is? Great to see he had the confidence to try and bring that cross down, and the desire to beat the keeper to the loose ball and force that goal. Put him up front, that's what I and his other relatives say.