Matt Penney

10 minutes ago, Gleadless owl said:

Dont knock the lad its not his fault he is the only left footed full back we have in the club

Have ago at the abysmal prevoius mangement who after getting rid of fox failed to replace him

Nobody “got rid” of fox he refused a contract. 

He's been poor since he returned to the first team, it's a shame, he's clearly not a left back but there's something else wrong besides that, he plays to me like someone on anti-depressants, his brain is about 30 seconds behind the play, every time he gives the ball away (which is constant) it's like he has no reaction or comprehension.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 83owl said:

Nobody “got rid” of fox he refused a contract. 

Yep, it’s the refusal to sign an out and out replacement that has cost us dear....staggering a professional football club at 2nd tier level can’t even pinpoint that as a weak area within two transfer windows.

Definitely not a CH level player unfortunately.

In the 1st half you could almost tell that Rotherham had been encouraged to attack down the right.

In reality though, he wouldn’t be playing had the club not been so negligent in bringing in a LB. It’s not really Penney’s fault he’s not up to the standard. 

More or less scored the goal and put in some absolutely wicked crosses, at least one of which should have been converted.

Dont get me wrong, he was dog poo the first half the same as the rest of them but he was also part of a big improvement in the second half and he kept running.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Definitely not a CH level player unfortunately.

In the 1st half you could almost tell that Rotherham had been encouraged to attack down the right.

In reality though, he wouldn’t be playing had the club not been so negligent in bringing in a LB. It’s not really Penney’s fault he’s not up to the standard. 

I guess the question is whether he’s a league one player as we will need a few of those

I'm not a great fan of 3-5-2 but with the fullback options we have we may as well go with it and just play 3 CBs.

It also allows us to pack midfield too as we lost that battle last night and for goodness sake play 2 strikers that have made their careers out of doing that instead of makeshift with Paterson & Windass... neither of whom are strikers

I think it was fairly obvious why he wasn't playing when people were saying 'Penney should play' 'Why isn't he getting a chance' etc

All our managers saw it. In fact they saw it enough to recognise we didnt have a left back and they we're right, we don't. 

The problem I have is our situation is now beyond serious, yet he's getting more minutes! 

1 hour ago, George said:

More or less scored the goal and put in some absolutely wicked crosses, at least one of which should have been converted.

Dont get me wrong, he was dog poo the first half the same as the rest of them but he was also part of a big improvement in the second half and he kept running.

This!! 

Add to that he’s one of very few that is forward thinking and runs rather than walks. Balls keep getting passed behind him when he wants it to run onto. Him, Shaw and Urhoghide all look to go forward whenever they receive the ball rather than our more experienced team of walking paced pass it backwards pros. 

• Like 2