Wildsmith.

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

All 3 keepers have quite well known flaws:

Dawson - parries shots into dangerous areas

Wildsmith - not good on shots close to his body espec low

Westwood - fitness, plus timing coming off his line.

Westwood seems to be much better this season than last season with his timing, and so when fit is in a different league to the other 2.

The choice right now is which of the two others has the least dangerous flaw.  For me, thats Wildsmith so we crack on as is

I think anyone with any sense knows Westwood is far the best of the 3 but unfortunately has fitness issues.

Dawson was sussed out re the parrying shots back out in front of him.

He is a better organiser than Wildsmith though, shouting at his defence.

Wildsmith is so quiet, you never hear him. Add to that he just seems so slow to react to situations, often rooted to the goal line. He seems scared to come out and catch balls, then amazingly the other night he came out to the edge of the penalty area and got nowhere near the ball which nearly led to a goal.  

He's hopeless.

Dawson will never recover from that Rotherham away match. Horrific.

Westwood...still brings the organisation and experience. Not sure he's physically quite where he once was and more likely to makes mistakes than in his pomp. The other issue with him, is I'm not sure we will get anyone truly excelling in the number 1 spot as long as he is around. He casts quite a big shadow and is obviously a huge fan favourite.

Like most things, the goalkeeper situation has turned into a farce. A new number one and a clear out is required.

Edited by SiJ

22 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Mindblowing.

@Bluesteel is right about Wildsmith, but I think Dawson has even further reversed.  The only difference is that Dawson never seemed to peak either.

It's disappointing for both, and both haven't had the kind of team in front of them that Westwood had during the good years.   I'm sure both will end up being League One regulars at us or somewhere else.   Saying that, i said the same about Palmer years ago and he's still here.

I can handle being in League One, but if any of those keepers are in the starting line-up on the first game, then I think I'll cry.

I think when Dawson first came in he was flapping all over the place. But by the time we played United at the Lane and he saved the penalty I think he looked to be on an upward trajectory and we needed to tie him down to a new deal. Since the turn of 2020 though I think both Wildsmith and Dawson have regressed and lack confidence.

Westwood isn’t what he was a few years ago but he always seems quite sure of himself and that’s what we need. Someone who is prepared to be the boss in that area.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think when Dawson first came in he was flapping all over the place. But by the time we played United at the Lane and he saved the penalty I think he looked to be on an upward trajectory and we needed to tie him down to a new deal. Since the turn of 2020 though I think both Wildsmith and Dawson have regressed and lack confidence.

Westwood isn’t what he was a few years ago but he always seems quite sure of himself and that’s what we need. Someone who is prepared to be the boss in that area.

And yet Westwood seems incapable of keeping as many clean sheets as the other 2

Think the defence has to accept a bit of responsibility too.

The likes of Lees go completely to pot when Westwood isn't constantly barking orders at them.

I get that keepers are massively important, but is it too much to expect some senior players to step up a bit? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Especially in a disastrous season like this when goals are being conceded left right and centre regardless of who plays or who we play

And yet when the stats were looking more favourable for certain players they were seen as the be all and end all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Clean sheet record this season.....seen by many on here as vital for winning games 

Dawson 44%

Wildsmith 31%

Westwood 27%

Doesn't really give the full picture.

League games this season.

Dawson

P8 W2 D2 L4

Conceded 9 - 1.13 p.g.

Clean sheets 3 (37%)

Wildsmith

P14 W2 D4 L8

Conceded 19 - 1.36 p.g.

Clean Sheets 4 (28%)

Westwood

P12 W5 D2 L5 

Conceded 12 - 1.00 p.g.

Clean sheets 3 (25%)

* he went off injured at Swansea without conceding but not given a clean sheet.

What is clear is we win more when Westwood plays.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Doesn't really give the full picture.

League games this season.

Dawson

P8 W2 D2 L4

Conceded 9 - 1.13 p.g.

Clean sheets 3 (37%)

Wildsmith

P14 W2 D4 L8

Conceded 19 - 1.36 p.g.

Clean Sheets 4 (28%)

Westwood

P12 W5 D2 L5 

Conceded 12 - 1.00 p.g.

Clean sheets 3 (25%)

* he went off injured at Swansea without conceding but not given a clean sheet.

What is clear is we win more when Westwood plays.

What is clear, even from your own stats is that we keep less clean sheets with Westwood than either of the other 2 much maligned academy products

I really, really like to see local lads coming up through the youth teams etc and making a mark in the first team.
Only bit of local pride we seem to have left.

I have given Wildsmith and Dawson enough benefit of the doubt but have to agree I don't feel confident when either of them is in the net.

Feel a soft goal is not far away. 

Westwood not the same keeper he was 5 years ago and seems too injury prone as well.

13 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Genuine question as I don’t know. How many games have each of them played?

I don't know in total but in the last 2 seasons all 3 have played a similar number of games. Bearing in mind KW had 2 bouts of frozenitis.

Dawson

P31 W10 D8 L13

Conceded 43 av 1.39 pg

Westwood

P26 W10 D5 L11

Conceded 27 av 1.04 p.g

Wildsmith

P23 W4 D6 L13

Conceded 36 av 1.57 pg

• Thanks 1