Wildsmith.

1 minute ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I am referring to Westwood so yes he should have been playing but Monk didn’t want to so I’m saying at that point he needed to sign a keeper 

No squad has 4 first team keepers.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Neither him or Dawson are anywhere near Championship level and unfortunately Westwood is at the end of his career and injury prone.

However, I’ve been saying this for eighteen months yet was ridiculed on here when I explained I was a keeper coach and they were both poo. Funny how everyone is suddenly jumping on the bandwagon.(not necessarily meant at the OP, just in general)

1 minute ago, should know better said:

Have they both gone backwards after we change goalkeeping coaches?

They’ve gone backwards but I’d be loathe to lay the blame at the door of the goalkeeping coaches they’ve had. 

For me, they both made their debuts during spells where their performances and experiences had their confidence sky high. Since then the they’ve experienced the natural peaks and troughs that come with being a professional goalkeeper. However, neither seem to have the ability or mentally to get out of the first trough. 

They’re both exceptional at coming into the team from cold and performing well. But as soon as they hit a bump in the road they just revert to type. Which is erratic, unnerving & shambolic goalkeeping. 

16 minutes ago, H2Owl said:

Terrible with the ball at his feet

If we are building for the future Wildsmith and Dawson want like a horse putting out to pasture. They have not got better since  they were -18 years old they are definitely not the way forward.

• Like 1

Not sure if he’s still injured, but is it time to bring Dawson back? Can’t believe im saying that but yeah Wildsmith having a very poor run at this time. 

Might as well forgot about Westwood, doubt he will be back before the end of the season.

Looked a prospect around the time we beat Arsenal. But that was seemingly his peak, he hasn’t kicked on. I’d be looking to move him on or at least loan him somewhere.

Dawson is in a similar boat but I think he has got better since he broke into the team. 

9 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Not sure if he’s still injured, but is it time to bring Dawson back?

I think Dawson is definitely the better keeper of the two.

While he has flaws, he seems more confident and a better at talking to and organising the defence.

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Macgallivray at Portsmouth is out of contract soon and he’s still a good age for a keeper. One of the best in league one and could play in the championship. We should get him in and move a couple on.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Westwood gets another 2 year contract. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

While he has flaws, he seems more confident and a better at talking to and organising the defence.

All 3 keepers have quite well known flaws:

Dawson - parries shots into dangerous areas

Wildsmith - not good on shots close to his body espec low

Westwood - fitness, plus timing coming off his line.

Westwood seems to be much better this season than last season with his timing, and so when fit is in a different league to the other 2.

The choice right now is which of the two others has the least dangerous flaw.  For me, thats Wildsmith so we crack on as is

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Mindblowing.

@Bluesteel is right about Wildsmith, but I think Dawson has even further reversed.  The only difference is that Dawson never seemed to peak either.

It's disappointing for both, and both haven't had the kind of team in front of them that Westwood had during the good years.   I'm sure both will end up being League One regulars at us or somewhere else.   Saying that, i said the same about Palmer years ago and he's still here.

I can handle being in League One, but if any of those keepers are in the starting line-up on the first game, then I think I'll cry.

12 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Id say that’s the one thing he definitely wasn’t good at, although probably not as bad as Wildsmith. Definitely a better shot stopper though.