Kieran Lee - Should we have kept him?

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Yet his manager  says..

"He brings final third quality and legs to the team – and that might seem strange for a 32-year-old but if you look at his data he is running more than 12k a game, which is Championship/Premier League standard, and what we want from our midfield players"

Having legs in the higher leagues isn’t about distance run over the game. 12k over 90 minutes isn’t a lot at all, you will see amateur players getting above 10k per match. It’s about having the zip and acceleration and ability to change direction quickly etc in the higher leagues. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yet his manager  says..

"He brings final third quality and legs to the team – and that might seem strange for a 32-year-old but if you look at his data he is running more than 12k a game, which is Championship/Premier League standard, and what we want from our midfield players"

Shows how they often know things we don’t! 

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Having legs in the higher leagues isn’t about distance run over the game. 12k over 90 minutes isn’t a lot at all, you will see amateur players getting above 10k per match. It’s about having the zip and acceleration and ability to change direction quickly etc in the higher leagues. 

True. Though his rave reviews from his manager suggest he's still got enough zip and direction change for League 2.

I'll be interested to see how he looks in league 1 when we play them next season (if they can keep that run going)

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Well done Kieran

Never ever been a discussion questioning whether this guy is trying or not

Just a humble good and honest pro 

• Like 1

The greatest compliment I can pay Kieran Lee is that he'd still be amongst my favorite players of any era.

From a squad perspective, It was only the correct decision to let him go in the event we were going to replace him with someone better.......in the end we just dealt with his departure like he was surplus to requirements which he most certainly was not.

I better run club would have put itself in a position to have been able to keep KL at the club to the end of his playing days and beyond. A exceptional professional and an example to all. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. Though his rave reviews from his manager suggest he's still got enough zip and direction change for League 2.

I'll be interested to see how he looks in league 1 when we play them next season (if they can keep that run going)

Yes I’m glad he got something sorted and seems to be doing well. Hopefully dropping to that level gives him a few more years of first team football.

• Like 2

On 03/03/2021 at 11:32, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To be fair, they've only played 11 games since he signed for them in January, so it seems as if his fitness is holding up so far, at least. That's the main thing for him, I imagine.

Having said that, although he was my favourite Wednesday player since our Premier League days, he wasn't the same since he came back from his injury, and it was probably best for him to move on and enjoy his football elsewhere.

This.

A lot of fans on social media and majority of the podcasts, seemed to just go along with the rhetoric that Lee was past it last season.

The Lee we had last season was indeed not quite the Lee of the playoff seasons.

However, he was still a good squad player to have and playing to a good standard. I think he lost a little bit of sharpness to play at Championship level.

He will still be a good player at League 1 and 2 level. Surprised he went to League 2.

Lee provided us with so many good memories and it was a joke the lack of send off the club gave him. (on social media).

Glad to see him back playing. Maybe I'm wearing blue and white specs, but even last season he seemed so much better than many of our other options. We certainly didn't replace him adequately.

10 games for Bolton, 8 wins and 2 draws - today he scored the first and won the penalty for the 2nd in a 2-1 win. If we do end up playing against him next season would be good for him to get a good send off from the fans.

In hindsight Lee could have done a job for us this season.  But as a club and as a fan base we need to look to the future.  No point dwelling on the past.

We need to build a young team (with a few experienced pros to help them when the going gets tough).  

20 minutes ago, Marro said:

In hindsight Lee could have done a job for us this season.  But as a club and as a fan base we need to look to the future.  No point dwelling on the past.

We need to build a young team (with a few experienced pros to help them when the going gets tough).  

Id take Lee over Dele Bashiru and Izzy Brown anyday

Monk screwed us

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Monk got this one wrong. Even you’ve got to admit that Jack? 😉

Is that why he is playing his football in L2 Jim? none of the players let go managed a gig at the same level they had left Jim,apart from Fox and Fletcher...who who both turned down offers..

They just were not replaced,and that wasnt down to GM in my view