Kieran Lee - Should we have kept him?

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

If that was true, considering the pandemic and his age, we could probably have agreed a contract for half that amount for this season.

Wonder how much Izzy Brown is on?

He wasn't young and hungry like the rest of the squad monk put together.

10 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

No one's average at best and one's a good player.

I'm guessing you mean the old 'but JP is a defensive midfielder you can't expect him to be doing anything else'.

Lee was equally as good all over the pitch. He could defend and tackle as well as getting forward, creating chances and chipping in with goals.

He's a lot more mobile.

IMO KL would have given us a lot more than JP this season.

He could, but he can’t anymore. Not at championship level anyway hence why no Champ or L1 club bothered with him and he’s now playing in L2.

As far as JP goes yes he’s very poor on the ball but the fact is if you play with BB in the centre of midfield you need someone to do his donkey work and for us that’s JP

28 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I loved Kieren Lee at Wednesday, but worth noting he hardly got a kick against Forest Green yesterday.

Time to move on for both

Played the number 10 role yesterday as the manager plumped for bringing in Thomason in defensive mid alongside Williams.

Lee has been playing in central midfield since going to Bolton and he’s been playing superb.  I think his performance yesterday was more to do with the role he played. He is not a number 10.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He is a similar type of player to Brown, only better and seemingly fitter and more reliable as it turns out. I could understand us not offering him a new contract if we had a better alternative to replace him but the fact is we haven't managed it. 

As things stand it is looking likely he will be lining up against us next season. We haven't found an adequate replacement yet and I'm not confident we will have by the time that fixture comes around if both teams continue on their current trajectory this season. 

The fact that we are unwilling or unable to find alternatives that are adequate is the problem and until that is fixed we will only carry on going one way. That doesn’t mean that the original decision was the wrong one, you can’t justify extending someone’s contract because of the incompetence of someone else.

22 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

He was still running after 90 mins yesterday

Brilliant someone can run for 90 minutes. I’m 38, got arthritis in both my knees and I can still run for 90 minutes. Doesn’t mean I could play championship football.

I hadn't realised he only joined them in January. Seen a lot of tweets about him, mainly from Bolton fans being retweeted by Wednesday fans, giving the impression he was their player of the season. Impressive to hit those heights in just a couple of months.

Shame we couldn't have bring him in on a similar style deal to Hutchinson in Jan. I've been pleasantly surprised by Hutch since his return and would have been a lot more excited about a Lee return.

Don’t believe everything you hear. I would imagine his age and injury record was a big factor on him leaving Wednesday and not being offered terms.

He was a model pro during his time here and it looks like he’s continued that at Bolton. A real class act of an individual and player.

Without a doubt we should have kept him, ideally on a pay as you play or reduced terms. But we should have known we would struggle to get better in.

I get that we need to move away from signing old / injured players but it again highlights the lack off planing in the summer (any summer).

I think we all know what is coming this summer, bad decisions on who to keep and who to release, followed by nothing, followed by an unorganised scramble for players that don’t equal a team.

Most likely based on agent recommendations.

Edited by Malkmus

Guest The Claw
11 hours ago, Blatter said:

Do you really believe Bolton gave him his Wednesday wage after 6 months without a club?

thats the point, what he was offered so he left, he accepted boltons offer for less ffs

11 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’ve not seen anything about how long his contract is at Bolton but I guess it’s possible he just signed until the end of the season given his age, injury history and the high turnover of players in general at that level.

If we were to be relegated I’d be in for him again if I were Wednesday. To build a team we need to clear out most of our dead wood, bring in 4-5 experienced players for the spine of the team and then bring in a lot of athletic young players who are being released by Prem clubs for the rest of the squad. Lee would be a perfect player to have around at that level 

Bolton announced on their official site that he signed an 18-month deal in January.

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

The fact that we are unwilling or unable to find alternatives that are adequate is the problem and until that is fixed we will only carry on going one way. That doesn’t mean that the original decision was the wrong one, you can’t justify extending someone’s contract because of the incompetence of someone else.

If you replace departing players with players of lower quality and fitness then yes, it will only go one way, as it has done. Long-term we need younger fitter players. 

Would we be better off this season with Lee or a combination of Kachunga, Marriott, Brown etc. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah he's not missed a beat since leaving

But I thought that he left because he was never fit here rather than because his wages were high as the OP suggests

Kieran Lee played 30 times for us last season.

We opted to spend wages on fitter players like Marriott, Dunkley, Brown.........