Kieran Lee - Should we have kept him?

24 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

We didn’t offer him anything because he was unavailable most of the time...why can’t any of our fans just let go..

Yet he's played more league minutes this season than Shaw, Luongo or even Brown + Dele-Bashiru put together

• Like 4

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Yet he's played more league minutes this season than Shaw, Luongo or even Brown + Dele-Bashiru put together

Maybe the 4th division isn’t as intense as the 2nd division but I agree shaw luongo and dele have been a complete waste of everybody’s time

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The issue is not moving Lee on.

The issue is our recruitment team not having the skill or ability to find his replacement.

This 

He was a brilliant servant to the club but the time was right. HOWEVER what we did with the replacements (Pelupessy Luongo Brown Dele Paterson) was retain or bring in much worse players than the Kieron Lee of today. So even tho the time was right our inability to replace him

means it was the wrong decision. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 83owl said:

Yeah because they’re the same type of player

He is a similar type of player to Brown, only better and seemingly fitter and more reliable as it turns out. I could understand us not offering him a new contract if we had a better alternative to replace him but the fact is we haven't managed it. 

As things stand it is looking likely he will be lining up against us next season. We haven't found an adequate replacement yet and I'm not confident we will have by the time that fixture comes around if both teams continue on their current trajectory this season. 

1 hour ago, Therealrealist said:

We didn’t offer him anything because he was unavailable most of the time...why can’t any of our fans just let go..

He played 30 times for us last season.

At least we got Brown in to play a creative midfield role though, much more reliable......................

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

This article suggests Brown is on £25/week.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1348647/Chelsea-wages-Chilwell-Werner-Havertz-Blues-salaries-emerge-latest-news-NST

Might not be 100% accurate but when national papers reference these things from a source they are usually at least in the right ballpark. 

Wonder how much of that we are having to stump up. 

Guest Therealrealist
20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This article suggests Brown is on £25/week.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1348647/Chelsea-wages-Chilwell-Werner-Havertz-Blues-salaries-emerge-latest-news-NST

Might not be 100% accurate but when national papers reference these things from a source they are usually at least in the right ballpark. 

Wonder how much of that we are having to stump up. 

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Maybe the 4th division isn’t as intense as the 2nd division but I agree shaw luongo and dele have been a complete waste of everybody’s time

Yes League 2 isn't as intense as the Championship but if our lot think they're going to have it easy in League 1 they will be in for a shock.

I agree about Luongo and Dele. You can add Kachunga, Brown and Marriott to that as well. Also Joey P who has started less than half of our games this season. The money we've wasted on these would have more than paid for a new contract for KL and another good player or two.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He is a similar type of player to Brown, only better and seemingly fitter and more reliable as it turns out. I could understand us not offering him a new contract if we had a better alternative to replace him but the fact is we haven't managed it. 

As things stand it is looking likely he will be lining up against us next season. We haven't found an adequate replacement yet and I'm not confident we will have by the time that fixture comes around if both teams continue on their current trajectory this season. 

I’ve not seen anything about how long his contract is at Bolton but I guess it’s possible he just signed until the end of the season given his age, injury history and the high turnover of players in general at that level.

If we were to be relegated I’d be in for him again if I were Wednesday. To build a team we need to clear out most of our dead wood, bring in 4-5 experienced players for the spine of the team and then bring in a lot of athletic young players who are being released by Prem clubs for the rest of the squad. Lee would be a perfect player to have around at that level 

24 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

His Dad was on this site last year and told us he was on circa 10k pw.

If that was true, considering the pandemic and his age, we could probably have agreed a contract for half that amount for this season.

Wonder how much Izzy Brown is on?

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

If that was true, considering the pandemic and his age, we could probably have agreed a contract for half that amount for this season.

Wonder how much Izzy Brown is on?

Yep, you have to imagine we could have paid KL a fraction of what we are paying IB. Who, to be honest I literally have to watch through my fingers because his body language is so painful......

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Yep, you have to imagine we could have paid KL a fraction of what we are paying IB. Who, to be honest I literally have to watch through my fingers because his body language is so painful......

I think Izzy Brown seems like a nice guy, and to be honest I feel like he's trying his hardest. But the way he moves and recovers from a sprint has more than a hint of Rooney's post-England career about him. Knees are in pieces.

5 hours ago, The Claw said:

apparently had to leave because his wages were high, then bolton sign him 🤪

He spent quite a bit of time without a club.

... and even when he was under contract, spent quite a bit of time unplayable due to injuries.

Yeoman's work while he was here, to be sure.  But couldn't seem to stay on the pitch.

It was time for Lee and Wednesday to move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

I assume, given the state of the club, and financials of his parent club, that there is a very favourable wage agreement in place.

I would think it's the reverse:  I bet we pay Brown a fraction of what Kieran Lee was getting weekly.