Moore, Transfers, and Identifying Players that Fit Scheme

6 minutes ago, jmb5310 said:

Since Darren Moore has been appointed, I’ve been curious to see if someone would post about his style or players that fit the way he plays in comparison to the Owls.  As an absolute novice in this area, I have no idea how to even identify a player that would fit scheme X vs scheme Y.  I loved the discussion about the formation, the 42321 style and how that could look for the reminder of the fight to avoid relegation.  But I wonder how he’ll put his fingerprints on the club beyond the 20/21 season (assuming his contract is longer in term).  I went back and did a quick look at his transfer history at West Brom and Doncaster to see if we can glean any information.  I understand that West Brom to Wednesday would be apples & oranges, and you could potentially say the same w/ the Doncaster moves.  It could, however, be a quick window into how he’d handle the squad if they are, indeed, relegated. 

Below is a link to a quick graph I threw together from transfermarkt.  The 18/19 season was in the EPL, so I don’t necessarily want to harp on that too much.  Let’s move to 19/20 & 20/21.  There’s a lot of movement, as he brought 15 players in 19/20 and shipped out 17 (this is just a total count, understanding that several are loans in and loans out).  And this season Doncaster brought in 17 and shipped out 11.  With the Rovers, the average age for a transfer out was 26.19 and the average age that Moore targeted for the club was 22.69.  It’s not a huge sample size, but he was pretty clearly reshaping the roster and making it younger.  The link below also has a snapshot of where that talent was brought in from.

Another note that potentially could’ve caught Chansiri’s eye is that he turned a profit every year in the transfer market.  Is it only 3 seasons? Yes.  And did I recently learn that the lower leagues can only do free transfers until 2022?  Yes.  But it’s still worth noting.  I have no idea if a team from the Championship will be required to follow that rule or if Moore will have the opportunity to make the team in his likeness quicker with the ability to spend a bit.

My final point is that I’m not exactly well-versed in the lower leagues or the players acquired, but it looks like he targets players with speed and players with pedigree (U23 Premier League lads).  So I’ll end with a question.  Since Wednesday have so many players out of contract, Moore should have slots to fill with players that fit his style.  Do you have any suggestions on players that could fit what he likes to do?  My initial thoughts would be that he’d look to the EPL U23 clubs and any potential frees that’re younger and have a chip on their shoulder.  I would also assume players like Osaze and Hunt would be top priorities for him and Brown if the price is right?  

Darren Moore Transfer History

That 42321 style you mention is going to surprise Rotherham tomorrow evening.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

That 42321 style you mention is going to surprise Rotherham tomorrow evening.

2 minutes ago, trev said:

I'm chuffed with the 42321 formation too.

I reckon we have a HUGE chance if we play that.....

Forgot to mention that, along with being a novice, I'm an idiot! Woops.

• Haha 5

4231 could work well as long as the LB and RB get forward and offer width when attacking, withe more defensive CM sitting back and creating a defensive 3 with the 2 CBs

If we play 4231 and invite pressure it will turn into a defensive 6 which will not end well for us. 

We have to play on the front foot, this team crumbles when under pressure. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jmb5310 said:

Since Darren Moore has been appointed, I’ve been curious to see if someone would post about his style or players that fit the way he plays in comparison to the Owls.  As an absolute novice in this area, I have no idea how to even identify a player that would fit scheme X vs scheme Y.  I loved the discussion about the formation, the 42321 style and how that could look for the reminder of the fight to avoid relegation.  But I wonder how he’ll put his fingerprints on the club beyond the 20/21 season (assuming his contract is longer in term).  I went back and did a quick look at his transfer history at West Brom and Doncaster to see if we can glean any information.  I understand that West Brom to Wednesday would be apples & oranges, and you could potentially say the same w/ the Doncaster moves.  It could, however, be a quick window into how he’d handle the squad if they are, indeed, relegated. 

Below is a link to a quick graph I threw together from transfermarkt.  The 18/19 season was in the EPL, so I don’t necessarily want to harp on that too much.  Let’s move to 19/20 & 20/21.  There’s a lot of movement, as he brought 15 players in 19/20 and shipped out 17 (this is just a total count, understanding that several are loans in and loans out).  And this season Doncaster brought in 17 and shipped out 11.  With the Rovers, the average age for a transfer out was 26.19 and the average age that Moore targeted for the club was 22.69.  It’s not a huge sample size, but he was pretty clearly reshaping the roster and making it younger.  The link below also has a snapshot of where that talent was brought in from.

Another note that potentially could’ve caught Chansiri’s eye is that he turned a profit every year in the transfer market.  Is it only 3 seasons? Yes.  And did I recently learn that the lower leagues can only do free transfers until 2022?  Yes.  But it’s still worth noting.  I have no idea if a team from the Championship will be required to follow that rule or if Moore will have the opportunity to make the team in his likeness quicker with the ability to spend a bit.

My final point is that I’m not exactly well-versed in the lower leagues or the players acquired, but it looks like he targets players with speed and players with pedigree (U23 Premier League lads).  So I’ll end with a question.  Since Wednesday have so many players out of contract, Moore should have slots to fill with players that fit his style.  Do you have any suggestions on players that could fit what he likes to do?  My initial thoughts would be that he’d look to the EPL U23 clubs and any potential frees that’re younger and have a chip on their shoulder.  I would also assume players like Osaze and Hunt would be top priorities for him and Brown if the price is right?  

Darren Moore Transfer History

Interetsing post, thanks for the effort.

• Like 3

Interesting stuff OP, thanks. 

I was just going to make a thread saying, how great it would be to have an identity in our play - win or lose that looks enjoyable, that the fans like. 

As for the recruitment - and the guys out of contract - imagine if it became a blessing in disguise where we get new players that suit the club. 

I live in hope. 

I don’t think we have the players to play a 4231.  We’d need fitter fullbacks to overlap, someone who can play as a lone striker to hold the ball up and a midfield that can get forwards quickly to support. This says everything about our current squad.  I’d like to see DM take some control of recruitment - as OP says he’s got some track record with good younger players.  This would need DC to change approach though so we’ll see if he learns from his mistakes. 

• Like 1

How is it you can even pick a 42321 Wednesday line-up and we still manage to look both short on goals and a little weak at the back...?

............................................Wildsmith......................................

.Palmer.................Lees.......................Borner...............Penney.

..........................Hutchinson..............Pelupessy.......................

..............Shaw.........................Hunt...................Bannan...........

....................Windass................................Reach......................

...........................................Paterson......................................... 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3