Osaze - Do I Stay or Do I go|?

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can you expand on that, as I see agents running a company and players are just another employee and if they can get more money in the company by placing a player into another club, then they won't hesitate to do so. 

Whereas I agree that players need to be represented I do wonder if the agents are looking after the company's interest more than the players. 

This is just my perception as I have little understanding how agents operate.   I guess they mollycoddle the obvious good players and the 'lesser' players are just fodder. 

Thats why they have the PFA, they do not need agents.

They are just parasites feeding off football.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The best way to boil it down is this

Agent to player "I think you should move to another club to further your career"

Player to agent "No chance - Sheffield Wednesday is amazing for me. The culture here is fantastic, everything is positive and supportive, the club's really going places and they really value and look after their players"

To be fair we are quite happy to keep mediocre players for much longer than most clubs. Come to Hillsborough, guaranteed job for the rest of your career.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The best way to boil it down is this

Agent to player "I think you should move to another club to further your career"

Player to agent "No chance - Sheffield Wednesday is amazing for me. The culture here is fantastic, everything is positive and supportive, the club's really going places and they really value and look after their players"

Sorry thought were talking more generally.   Hopefully DM is the first step in installing that mentality into the club.

26 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

DM and PW will be a massive plus in this deal.

A manager who was a defender and a coach who has delivered success at youth level up to international standards.

Reckon this appointment puts us in the driving seat now, surely?

^^^ This. The lad is playing well at a good level. 
He now has a mentor to learn from. 
I think he’d be crazy to go. 

1 minute ago, markg said:

I think that it's the other way around. I can see Urhoghide playing at a higher level than Shaw eventually. Really hope that we sort this one out

Agreed, although would have like to have kept both, Urhoghide has shoewn development and worth keeping at the club.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Good one lol

• Haha 1

People make out it’s all agents it’s not if a player says I want to sign here it’s the agents job to get them the best deal 

players are not just robots in the matter it’s their decision ultimately 

if shaw wanted to stay or Uroghide wants to stay they will 

Reason why shaw probably signed for Celtic must be the shower we are currently running, a significantly higher contract and chances of playing European football

Wednesday are currently only showing they are going in one direction.

look at bannan he could have been signing for most teams in this division in some capacity id imagine but he wanted to stay 

his agent got that done for him 

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Will he feel a loyalty for Wednesday for taking a chance on him when he was without a club?  Or will he look to develop his career elsewhere?  Has his agent being sounding out other clubs?

Hope he stays as he will get plenty of games and may attract even bigger clubs in a couple of years.

Think the new manager will influence his decision, he will stay. 

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

That's what I always thought but to my understanding the PFA does not represent players in the agent role

I may be wrong here, but I thought James Milner always used the PFA?.

When a player joins an agency, who employ's whom?.

If the agency employs the player then does the club pay the agency, them the agency pay the player?.

I know that is how it works in the real world.

3 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Urgohide has the potential to be better than Iofa. Must keep.

Early days, but he looks very solid at cb.

Iorfa can be amazing, but also prone to some shocking errors.

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

People make out it’s all agents it’s not if a player says I want to sign here it’s the agents job to get them the best deal 

players are not just robots in the matter it’s their decision ultimately 

if shaw wanted to stay or Uroghide wants to stay they will 

Reason why shaw probably signed for Celtic must be the shower we are currently running, a significantly higher contract and chances of playing European football

Wednesday are currently only showing they are going in one direction.

look at bannan he could have been signing for most teams in this division in some capacity id imagine but he wanted to stay 

his agent got that done for him 

What happens if the player says I want to play X and the agent says "Your going to play for Y, read your contract sonny boy, your mine for the next five years now get out there and play"

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I may be wrong here, but I thought James Milner always used the PFA?.

When a player joins an agency, who employ's whom?.

If the agency employs the player then does the club pay the agency, them the agency pay the player?.

I know that is how it works in the real world.

I could be wrong and would like answers to the questions you pose. 

I think we'd regret it if he left. I think his defensive attributes are very strong and still raw. He is fast, tough and seems to have good awareness about him. I feel he will only develop further and he is showing all this in the context of a season of turmoil. 

I'm not saying he's Virgil Van Dijk but I reckon if he develops over the next couple of years he could be worth a couple of million (maybe more) and be a really good Championship defender. Why let him leave and just bring in a freebie/old clogger? 

I really think we should aim to keep this kid for next season. Let's hope.