The Cult of Megson Lives on at Hillsborough

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, S25OWL said:

I wonder if he did speak to Megson before taking the job ?

You dont choose to speak to megson...megson chooses you

10 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

That's my dogging map 

I couldn't help but notice it doesn't have a single marker indicating activity. When did you plan on putting the map to use? Asking for a friend.

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

Some very interesting snippets in there...

The deal took a while to go through, but the minute I got into the West Brom dressing room, I knew it was a solid one. From the very first training session I saw there was a real culture of hard work at the club – when they trained, they really trained. That team was relentless. Game after game, we were able to produce. A lot of that came from the manager Gary Megson – he never let up on us.

Sometimes you win a game and you can get lost in the moment. But with Gary, as soon as the game finished, it was done. Bang – on Monday morning we were back to it again. There was no hangover from the game; it was instant.

It was Tony Pulis who initially gave me the chance to work with the first team. I’d been Tony’s captain at Portsmouth, so he knew me as a player and must have trusted me because he gave me the responsibility of doing the set-plays. That was incredible pressure.

I remember going to Goodison Park for a game against Everton and having Tony turn around to me and say: “You make sure they don’t score.”

When I look back at that time as a coach, I realise how valuable the experiences were that I was getting. I look at the array of managers who came to the club – Steve Clarke, Alan Irvine, Tony and then Alan Pardew. I had the opportunity to watch them work. To travel with them in the first team. To be with them in the dressing room and listen to them prepare for games.

• Like 1