Playing out from the back

2 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Been watching a few Doncaster highlights over the last few hours 

I get the impression 

Moore is a mould of pulis and monkball

Exciting stuff 

He’s off , before a ball is even kicked. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Been watching a few Doncaster highlights over the last few hours 

I get the impression 

Moore is a mould of pulis and monkball

Exciting stuff 

I've also been watching a fair few of the extended highlights of some Donny games from this season and I totally disagree, they play some excellent stuff, High press, high tempo and they move the ball quickly. Would love to see some of that here if he can get a tune out of some of our wasters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Really! I'd say he's our best defender!  Absolutely rapid, strong  don't see many players beat him one on one!  Touch of the des Walkers about him 

he’s nowhere near Lees Iorfa or Hutchinson at centre half. 

yet.

Last time we played frustrating patient football we finished 4th in the league- but we had considerably better players - pretty sure when Dave Jones came we started with the keeper rolling it out to the defenders because I remember the stark difference from Megsons tactics- so maybe a god thing. The only concern is Barry will start playing deep again because he doesn’t trust the players around him 

21 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I've also been watching a fair few of the extended highlights of some Donny games from this season and I totally disagree, they play some excellent stuff, High press, high tempo and they move the ball quickly. Would love to see some of that here if he can get a tune out of some of our wasters.

Not a chance we could implement a high tempo high press game with Hutchinson, Bannan and Brown in midfield.

14 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Not a chance we could implement a high tempo high press game with Hutchinson, Bannan and Brown in midfield.

Maybe not , but if Moore uses his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation then something like a 2 of Bannan and Luongo with a 3 from Harris,Green,Shaw,Windass and Reach behind a front man may work. There's some energy amongst that lot despite what anyone says.

• Like 1

This is the problem with the current squad, what formation and style of play actually suits us?

We lack pace to be a good counter attacking team

We lack presence for long ball

We seriously lack creativity only Bannan who can create and he sits so deep trying to keep us ticking but it's more to our detriment than it actually helps (Usually end up pumping it long or out of play because we are so slow at moving the ball or play ourselves into trouble)
We severally lack athleticism

It's a squad that's been thrown together/the remaining pieces shoehorned together with no balance in several formations and overall no matter what we've tried the squad isn't good enough.
You need to outline a clear vision and plan going forward and recruit to suit that system, this is where a good director of football would come in, then we are not in a position like now with Monk recruiting for a 3 ATB formation at the start of the season and then replacing him with a  manager who wanted full backs and we didn't recruit one in the summer when Fox left leaving us short.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

This is the problem with the current squad, what formation and style of play actually suits us?

We lack pace to be a good counter attacking team

We lack presence for long ball

We seriously lack creativity only Bannan who can create and he sits so deep trying to keep us ticking but it's more to our detriment than it actually helps (Usually end up pumping it long or out of play because we are so slow at moving the ball or play ourselves into trouble)
We severally lack athleticism

It's a squad that's been thrown together/the remaining pieces shoehorned together with no balance in several formations and overall no matter what we've tried the squad isn't good enough.
You need to outline a clear vision and plan going forward and recruit to suit that system, this is where a good director of football would come in, then we are not in a position like now with Monk recruiting for a 3 ATB formation at the start of the season and then replacing him with a  manager who wanted full backs and we didn't recruit one in the summer when Fox left leaving us short.

Bannan is one of the best creative talents in the division, as is Brown. Shaw and Luongo are not bad either. The problem is, we tend to bypass the midfield, when it could be our strength

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Bannan is one of the best creative talents in the division, as is Brown. Shaw and Luongo are not bad either. The problem is, we tend to bypass the midfield, when it could be our strength

As i said Bannan is our creator however he does sit too deep and the players around him ain't good enough to play his football.

There's more to it than Brown's ability why he hasn't played no doubt about it, his stats for creativity for Luton last season were impressive.
It's easy to say we are bypassing the midfield but you have to ask yourself why are we bypassing them? 
There's a real problem linking the midfield to the forwards, We are not creating anything remotely good enough.

Luongo has hardly played and has missed most of the season.

I’m going to leave this one in the ‘to worry about later’ pile! He’s been here for one day so far and no game! Think I’ll watch a few and then see what happens. 
Just glad someone credible could be convinced to come here! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

As i said Bannan is our creator however he does sit too deep and the players around him ain't good enough to play his football.

There's more to it than Brown's ability why he hasn't played no doubt about it, his stats for creativity for Luton last season were impressive.
It's easy to say we are bypassing the midfield but you have to ask yourself why are we bypassing them? 
There's a real problem linking the midfield to the forwards, We are not creating anything remotely good enough.

Luongo has hardly played and has missed most of the season.

Believe me mate, I do ask myself why we keep doing it. Other than that opening game away at Cardiff City, where we controlled play from start to finish, we haven’t used the Luongo, Brown, Bannan combination. In that game, they provided a string of passes into strikers Rhodes and Windass. Not lofted balls into the box, but clever passes down the side of the Cardiff centre backs. Both those two players, prefer ball into feet, and yet we persist with those long high balls. It’s madness, we don’t have a tall target man who can bring others into play, and we don’t have extreme pace that can be utilised by playing it long. Had we played through the midfield this season, I’m sure we wouldn’t be scrapping about in the relegation zone.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Believe me mate, I do ask myself why we keep doing it. Other than that opening game away at Cardiff City, where we controlled play from start to finish, we haven’t used the Luongo, Brown, Bannan combination. In that game, they provided a string of passes into strikers Rhodes and Windass. Not lofted balls into the box, but clever passes down the side of the Cardiff centre backs. Both those two players, prefer ball into feet, and yet we persist with those long high balls. It’s madness, we don’t have a tall target man who can bring others into play, and we don’t have extreme pace that can be utilised by playing it long. Had we played through the midfield this season, I’m sure we wouldn’t be scrapping about in the relegation zone.

I see your point and i agree but if it was that simple we'd have done it. so many more contributing factors.

Luongo hasn't been fit though and i think the same for Brown that's probably the problem plus another switch in formation, it's all a mess.

3 hours ago, Tom22709 said:

If he wants us to play out from the back I think he’ll have to rethink his tactics after about 5 minutes, Lees and Uhroghide are literally the worst footballers in the league with ball at feet

That’s unfair. Dunkley has a claim for that crown.

Play to your strengths. Playing out from the back isn’t ours.

The mission in the short term is simple - stay up.

I don’t see any major changes to style or set up happening at this point of the season. I can see it being pragmatic, utilising the players strengths to get points on the board. I don’t think the club are in a position to focus on anything else.

The real changes will happen in the summer when he has the time to build properly with players suited to playing that way.

The approach from the summer will definitely be possession based playing through midfield. Sometimes our football under Moore was slow but that was largely because our centre halves and centre midfield were aging. When we moved it through the pitch into our front three we were excellent and a joy to watch.

Wednesday really have to be patient with him. No toys out the pram.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

I don’t see any major changes to style or set up happening at this point of the season. I can see it being pragmatic, utilising the players strengths to get points on the board. I don’t think the club are in a position to focus on anything else.

The real changes will happen in the summer when he has the time to build properly with players suited to playing that way.

The approach from the summer will definitely be possession based playing through midfield. Sometimes our football under Moore was slow but that was largely because our centre halves and centre midfield were aging. When we moved it through the pitch into our front three we were excellent and a joy to watch.

The fans will he I think. It’s the nutty chairman he has to worry about. 

8 hours ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Out of interest, do you think there are any West Brom players you can see him making a move for? Suppose it depends what division we find ourselves in, and what sort of budget we have. Was thinking of youngsters primarily, as we know he likes to use the loan market

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Out of interest, do you think there are any West Brom players you can see him making a move for? Suppose it depends what division we find ourselves in, and what sort of budget we have. Was thinking of youngsters primarily, as we know he likes to use the loan market

It’s hard to say as the youngsters that both Moore and Smith worked with are the ones who will be propping up our team next season after our relegation.

He had taken Rayan Tulloch to Doncaster - he’s a tricky wide player who can play at the side of front three or drop a bit deeper behind a front man. Unfortunately he got injured.

Kyle Edwards (approaching the end of his contract) and Rekheem Harper are others to watch for. Moore had just started integrating Edwards into the team prior to his sacking.

In the event that the Owls are relegated then the likes of Jamie Soule, Callum Morton (scored shed loads for Northampton in his brief stint with them), Owen Windsor (forward) and Finn Azaz (ball playing midfielder) will all need moves into league 1 as it’s the next stage of their progression. 

Im sure the club would be mind to help Moore as we are with Appleton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1