4-2-3-1 Formation at SWFC

4 hours ago, malek said:

Big fan of 4-2-3-1 formation.

It is modern, encourages possession based football and very flexible if you know how to play it.

First signs seem to be very encouraging.

We’ve got a midfield that struggles to put two passes together and is about as mobile and athletic as Gemma Collins. 

Modern and flexible isn’t for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loughborough Owl said:

Wildmith

Palmer Lees Uroghide Penney 

Hutchinson Bannan

Harris Brown Reach

Windass 

The problem with this line up, it’s well balanced with players in their correct positions, but that three behind the striker offer virtually no goal threat. 

Supposedly Moore likes his DM’s to be good ball players. They have a young lad at Doncaster called Smith who is on loan from Man City that has some very similar qualities. 

Something that’s exciting is it we do play full backs they’ll be allowed to go forwards. Monk and Pulis both restricted the full backs from joining attacks, you’d have to go back to Steve Bruce the last time we saw our full backs being encouraged to overlap. It’s needed in the modern game as just getting it out wide to a winger and expecting them to beat 2 players just isn’t going to work, you need to create overloads out wide and allowing the full backs to go forward does this. 

On 01/03/2021 at 13:10, Errol Flashman said:

Not convinced Rhodes has ever or will ever work on his todd up top. 

Happy to be proved wrong.

It worked a very long time ago when he was at Huddersfield. They played a 4-3-3, but their wide forwards were tough  strong and  got down both the channels and in the box. They dragged cbs out wide. This is what created space for Rhodes to exploit or lose his marker. It also meant he wasn't playing as a lone centreforward. 

It may work for us if our wide men are green, Kachunga or green, but reach and Harris couldn't and don't play that way. 

Wildsmith

Urogohide. Lees. Hutchinson. Palmer

Shaw.    Bannan

Windass.        Brown.        Harris.           

Patterson

Edited by striker

On 01/03/2021 at 12:56, Jamie_W said:

Hopefully we don't play this formation as we don't have the players to do it. People were all over Pulis for doing that exact same thing. We don't have a left back, we don't have anyone who can play up front as a single striker. Didn't we have this same discussion about two months ago?

Lucky not to be 2-0 down already,playing out from the back not working,just wasting time....get it forward,and get crosses into the box and we will score...

Guest Bulgaria

I don't think we are playing that bad to be honest.

Definitely a goal or two in it for us.

Trouble is, there's two or three in it for Rotherham.

2 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I don't think we are playing that bad to be honest.

Definitely a goal or two in it for us.

Trouble is, there's two or three in it for Rotherham.

Poor defending and lack of killer edge and quality 

Just can't afford to keep doing this.

I like how we have set up.

4-2-3-1 is a very modern way of playing and a lot of top teams have used it.  Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal for instance have all had success with it. Wednesdays issue is they haven’t got the players to play it, albeit I’m not convinced that there is a system to suit this squad. Luton 1st half suggested we suit 3-4-1-2 but the 2nd half suggested otherwise. In a 4-2-3-1 we really don’t have anyone other than Shaw, in my opinion, to play in the 2 DMs and Shaw had a good 1st half tonight but struggled at times in the 2nd. We don’t have decent full backs, I’m not sure if there’s one at the club who is Championship standard. We don’t have an out and out striker capable of playing alone up front and for me we don’t have the wide players capable of supporting a lone striker. If we go down, as I expect and Moore stops, I really hope he has a big say in who we bring into the club for next season because otherwise we are going to be signing more square pegs for round holes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lincowl said:

EWe only have one fullback, a flat back four can’t work for us. Odubajo was the same, only worth playing further forward as a wingback.

Exactly.

352 gets the best out of us.

Full-backs? Having a laugh.

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Poor defending and lack of killer edge and quality 

Just can't afford to keep doing this.

I like how we have set up.

System worked ok, created much better chances but finishing was abysmal.

If you accept were down then starting to build towards a way of playing is a start for next year.

4-4-2

4-2-3-1

4-1-4-1

4-1-2-3

4-5-1

4-1-2-1-2

4-3-1-2

4-1-3-2

4-3-3

3-5-2

5-3-2

5-4-1

6-4-0

5-5-0

4-4-1-1

2-3-5

Nothing. Nothing will suit every player.

Because we've had no joined up thinking transfer policy.

for 6 years

And breathe...

tumblr_lnk9gljkoo1qafrh6.gif