Gordon Elliot - Sitting on a dead horse

What do we think about this??

I know these animals are not pets.. but a lot of owners think of them like that.

Id be removing my horse from his yard tbh.

I think it's horrible. It's the smirk and the peace sign...just makes me angry tbh.

Maybe I'm just being over sensitive?

I'd be mortified if someone sat on my dog when it had died.

Edited by trev

Over reaction probably driven by over offended horsey types. 

Top trainers are not in the habit of bad welfare of their animals. 

I buy his explanation but I'm sure plenty won't

36 minutes ago, darklord said:

Over offended horsey types?

You mean people who care about animal welfare?

I mean, if I saw a dead animal (one that I'm supposed to have a close bond with), I'd make a point of sitting on it, taking a phone call and giving a thumbs up.

34 minutes ago, darklord said:

If he was more lent up against the horse I might’ve believed him but, after seeing the picture of him straddling the horse, smiling and throwing the peace sign it all looked posed and quite disgusting tbh.

His explanation is ridiculous. 

'Without thinking' he sat on a dead horse to take a call. And no-one with him said 'poo Gordon, you've accidently just sat on this dead horse'. Right. That's because that kind of behaviour wasn't that shocking to the people he was with on his gallops. 

His 'V' sign is his standard victory photo pose. He wasn't signalling to 'hold on a minute'. 

Here he is celebrating - 

1196588477_vsign1.jpg.5aed1ee80ba41bef7a7505004eb841d8.jpg111150702_vsign2.jpg.b1be4798cd5551ed8cc365b3e9eeb205.jpg1251894771_vsign4.jpg.e2b44c0e6ce189e206906065e3d8ae71.jpg

And here he is, at 'a very sad time' sat on a dead horse, signalling to hold on whilst he finished his call....Righto. 

104308283_v5.jpg.c7cf677d65fe055617f64ae51357a333.jpg

I used to be a big fan of horse racing. Defended it a lot. 

People in racing only ever comment on this sort of thing to say how bad it is as it shows racing in a bad light to the public. Basically, its bad PR. 

From things like this, to Davy Russell punching the horse, to Ruby Walsh saying that horses are expendable, it all adds up to cast a lot of doubt on racing's claim that 'everybody in the industry knows just how much everyone in racing loves these horses, but we need the public to know that'. 

I'm more inclined to think that's just towing the party line. Too much comes out and its rarely out and out condemned. Its just seen as awful that it came out as they know they can't afford to get the general public gunning for the sport. That's not a blanket statement by the way. I saw Mick Fitzgerald in tears about this and I know there will be others. But I call BS on those that make out that ALL involved in racing treat these animals like kings and queens. 

6 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

I used to be a big fan of horse racing. Defended it a lot. 

People in racing only ever comment on this sort of thing to say how bad it is as it shows racing in a bad light to the public. Basically, its bad PR. 

From things like this, to Davy Russell punching the horse, to Ruby Walsh saying that horses are expendable, it all adds up to cast a lot of doubt on racing's claim that 'everybody in the industry knows just how much everyone in racing loves these horses, but we need the public to know that'. 

I'm more inclined to think that's just towing the party line. Too much comes out and its rarely out and out condemned. Its just seen as awful that it came out as they know they can't afford to get the general public gunning for the sport. That's not a blanket statement by the way. I saw Mick Fitzgerald in tears about this and I know there will be others. But I call BS on those that make out that ALL involved in racing treat these animals like kings and queens. 

100%

1 hour ago, darklord said:

Have you seen the photo?

Should be pointed out that quite a lot of horsey people are in the horsey industry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, trev said:

Have you seen the photo?

Yeah. 

So let's flip this and ask why a well know trainer would pose for a photo like this?

He would know it would risk his career and for what. 

Even if he wasn't bothered about the animals welfare he would probably be bothered that a huge sum of money was laid in the dirt? 

I don't get why he would be gloating on that? 

18 minutes ago, darklord said:

Yeah. 

So let's flip this and ask why a well know trainer would pose for a photo like this?

Even if he wasn't bothered about the animals welfare he would probably be bothered that a huge sum of money was laid in the dirt? 

Because he’s thick. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, darklord said:

Yeah. 

The photo was clearly taken by a trusted member of his team.

He wouldn't expect it to ever be released. Apparently though he has made a lot of enemies over the years and with Cheltenham around the corner the timing of this is suspect.

Someone wants to screw him... and it's going to work. Probably Willie Mullins lol

Just to add, I don't think he got on the horse specifically to pose for a picture. But that's irrelevant. The fact he took a quick seat on a dead horse whilst taking a call just shows what little regard he had for the animal. 

• Like 1

I think he's going to be suspended for quite a while, because this makes the industry look like it doesn't care about the horses.

In reality, sitting on the dead horse seems to me less of a problem than working it until it collapses and dies, or making it jump fences until it breaks a leg and you shoot it, or whatever else actually causes the death.

1 hour ago, trev said:

Another jockey jumping on a dead horse doing the rounds.

Dear oh dear.

Yep, Amateur jockey Rob James can be seen on video mounting a dead whilst people in the background are laughing, and low and behold he rides for Gordon Elliott's yard. Absolutely disgusting.

Gigginstown jock.

He's heartbroken about the video apparently. Which is odd when you consider he fucki.ng did it.

No way would someone do that if it wasn't in keeping with how the horses are generally treated there? If its all treating them like royalty then no-one in their right mind would just run up and do this.