Darren Moore's Managerial Career

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 09.49.50.jpg

Darren Moore Managerial career

West Bromwich Albion 

On 2 April 2018, West Bromwich Albion manager Alan Pardew, was dismissed from his post after a run of poor results, leaving them bottom of the Premier League and ten points from safety.

Moore was then appointed as caretaker manager, taking charge of all current first team affairs until the end of the season. This made him the first ever Jamaican to manage in the Premier League.

Under his leadership, West Brom went undefeated in April, a run that included a 1–0 away win against Manchester United – handing the league title to United's arch-rivals Manchester City, in part earning Moore the Premier League Manager of the Month honour

However, West Brom were relegated from the Premier League later that day following Southampton's win against Swansea City, ending the club's eight-year tenure in the top-flight.

After much speculation over who would become the next permanent manager of West Bromwich Albion, on 18 May 2018, Moore was appointed as the permanent head coach, after impressing during his caretaker spell with the Baggies.

The Baggies walked into the new Championship season as firm favourites for promotion, and by Moore's time of departure, were sat in fourth place and in contention for qualification for the promotion play-offs.

On 9 March 2019, Moore was sacked by the club, after a negative string of home results.

James Shan temporarily replaced Moore in caretaker charge, leading them to the play-off semi-finals against eventual winners Aston Villa, suffering defeat.[29] Slaven Bilić was appointed as Moore's permanent successor in June 2019.

Doncaster Rovers

On 10 July 2019, Moore was appointed as the new manager of League One side Doncaster Rovers, replacing Grant McCann, who left to take charge of Hull City in the Championship.

Sheffield Wednesday

On 1 March 2021, Moore left Doncaster with them in the League One play-off positions to join Sheffield Wednesday, sitting inside the Championship relegation zone. 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Decent win percentage, pretty much identical to Thompson’s this season

Bit disrespectful, can hardly compare a guy who has 46% win rate over 13 games to someone who has the same record over 126 games some of which were in the prem.

• Like 4

Blimey. I’m amazed and delighted! He’s a way better manager than I thought we could attract! 
Being slightly cynical I’m assuming his appointment is to help us come up next year rather than stay up this year?

If the plan was about staying up he’s three games too late!

Welcome aboard Darren! My support is worthless, but you have it anyway!

• Like 2

Difficult to judge his record really.

Did well initially with WBA and yet ultimately they were still relegated. Then had them top 4 but they had started as favourites so that was a slight disappointment.

And in a year and a half at Doncaster he’d made very good progress until they hit a really bad run in February and dropped away from the automatic places. 

Jury’s out for me, flashes of very good and flashes of not so good in a fairly short career up to now.

The other thing is that for a bruiser of a player he’s a softly spoken nice guy so can he kick ass when needed or not?! 

Can’t make my mind up whether this is merely an okay appointment or potentially a very good one.

Not that it matters much either way as even Pep might struggle working in the DC circus. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Nothing in his record to get excited about, but in view of the state of the club and the owner, probably as good as we could hope for

i'm kinda split over this, yes, he's a good young manager (and he's not some flipping left field unexpected foreign nobody which is good) but i'm a bit hesitant over picking up lower league managers.

Go back to us appointing turner, i was proper made up that we signed him, he was a young manager, coming from a good spot in hartlepool, it was a positive move a positive signing, and was a distinct move from the fill ins we had been using, yorath and shreeves, and to a lesser extent jewell, it was nice to sign a manager from somewhere else, rather than picking someone up off the sacked pile (jewell).

times have changed though, maybe its me stuck in the past, good look mooresy(new nickname incoming)

Honestly think this is a very good appointment.

Young, hungry manager, his team's play attacking attractive football and he's shown at Doncaster he knows how to build a successful team on a limited budget.

I only wish we'd given him the job 6weeks ago.

Welcome to Hillsborough Darren and good luck pal!.... You'll need it!

• Like 1

Just now, Jack the Hat said:

Its a gamble for us and a gamble for him. Does anyone know how long the contract is?

Presumably we'll have to pay Donny compensation, so surely he'll have a longer contract than the end of the season.

Mind you if he oversees us till then it'll be more matches than Pulis did.

Really can't see him leaving Donny for less than an 18 month contract though.