BREAKING - DARREN MOORE APPOINTED AS NEW MANAGER

Fairly shocked that he’s taken the decision to join us.

Must be incentives in the deal if he keeps us up, maybe this triggers a 2 year deal?

Main thing this appointment says to me is that Chansiri is pretty sure we will be in league 1 next year.

Darren Moore was surprisingly appointed as Sheffield Wednesday’s new manager this morning – and he’s already making changes to the club’s personnel.

His second-in-command at Doncaster was former Crystal Palace defender Jamie Smith, and according to the Doncaster Free Press, the 46-year-old will be joining Moore at Hillsborough.

But Moore will add even more experience to his staff with the appointment of Paul Williams, per Alan Nixon of The Sun.

Williams had notable spells as a player with Derby County and Coventry City, and has had a successful coaching career at various clubs and countries.

The 49-year-old served as Southampton’s Youth Development Coach between 2011 and 2014, overseeing the rise of the likes of James Ward-Prowse into the Saints’ first team.

Williams was also ‘Logistics Manager’ at Brentford in 2015, and went on to be the assistant at Swansea City and Birmingham City, and even spent a few months as manager of Nottingham Forest in 2016 following the sacking of Dougie Freedman.

More recently, Williams was the head coach of Norwich City’s under-18’s – a role he left last month – and before that he was at West Bromwich Albion as a scout, which is where his relationship with Moore will have blossomed.

He will likely coach alongside Neil Thompson – who has been caretaker manager for the Owls for the last two months – to form a very experienced backroom staff for Moore to work with as he looks to guide Wednesday up the table.

Lets hope this appointment is the first in a sequence and DC steps back into the shadows (Hank Marvin might not be too pleased) and gets the right people in to run the footballing side of the club.

Oh and how a certain person the exit door.

4 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

My further thoughts as I was a bit tied up earlier after my initial post.

On the face of it - it is a good appointment from Wednesday - it certainly has a more long term fix to it as opposed to the apparent short term nature that the chairman has operated by. 

I thoroughly enjoyed his tenure with us and I was really saddened when he left - I was absolutely gutted. He was a childhood hero and a thoroughly decent bloke. We beat Swansea 3-0 in the game following his sacking and I refused to celebrate. I had never been so ****** off with the club. 

His stint with us in the PL was a success as he helped restore a bit of pride to the club - we had an apathetic fanbase, an expensive squad not delivering,  a relegation looming and a big rebuild on our hands. In his short spell he took us to the verge of safety with wins at Old Trafford and against Tottenham but we fell short.

He was clear in the championship that he wanted us to be expansive and open and play the ball through midfield. We were predominantly 3 at the back and 3 upfront. Unfortunately, our centre halves weren't good enough to play that way and Moore's over reliance on Graeme Jones cost him his job. He should have been more pragmatic at times and taken charge as opposed to allowing Jones dictate proceedings.

He seemingly had a better set up at Doncaster with Jamie Smith (an academy coach that Moore worked with during our academy) and Wayne Jacobs who he played with at Bradford. It was a better fit with coaches more akin to his view on the game as opposed to Jones.

The first thing he will do is drag this football club together - he united our football club and set the foundations that Bilic drew support from. We were a mess prior to his arrival after years of Pulis and Pardew. His attitude is very much "we not me".

I think Wednesday are a bit of basket case (I don't enjoy saying that) so this is an incredibly tough job as the scale of the rebuild is greater than he experienced at ours. 

I really hope he's a success though - I still harbour hopes that he will be on our touchline again in future. I look forward to my next trip to Hillsborough to get behind him (even though the Chansiri is a ****). 

After reading that I almost felt a little bit of hope.

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

“My ambition at the start of the season was to score 100 goals. The only way you do that is by playing open, expansive, attacking football”

That'll do for me lol

Don't think we have the forward players for a big total

6 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

My further thoughts as I was a bit tied up earlier after my initial post.

On the face of it - it is a good appointment from Wednesday - it certainly has a more long term fix to it as opposed to the apparent short term nature that the chairman has operated by. 

I thoroughly enjoyed his tenure with us and I was really saddened when he left - I was absolutely gutted. He was a childhood hero and a thoroughly decent bloke. We beat Swansea 3-0 in the game following his sacking and I refused to celebrate. I had never been so ****** off with the club. 

His stint with us in the PL was a success as he helped restore a bit of pride to the club - we had an apathetic fanbase, an expensive squad not delivering,  a relegation looming and a big rebuild on our hands. In his short spell he took us to the verge of safety with wins at Old Trafford and against Tottenham but we fell short.

He was clear in the championship that he wanted us to be expansive and open and play the ball through midfield. We were predominantly 3 at the back and 3 upfront. Unfortunately, our centre halves weren't good enough to play that way and Moore's over reliance on Graeme Jones cost him his job. He should have been more pragmatic at times and taken charge as opposed to allowing Jones dictate proceedings.

He seemingly had a better set up at Doncaster with Jamie Smith (an academy coach that Moore worked with during our academy) and Wayne Jacobs who he played with at Bradford. It was a better fit with coaches more akin to his view on the game as opposed to Jones.

The first thing he will do is drag this football club together - he united our football club and set the foundations that Bilic drew support from. We were a mess prior to his arrival after years of Pulis and Pardew. His attitude is very much "we not me".

I think Wednesday are a bit of basket case (I don't enjoy saying that) so this is an incredibly tough job as the scale of the rebuild is greater than he experienced at ours. 

I really hope he's a success though - I still harbour hopes that he will be on our touchline again in future. I look forward to my next trip to Hillsborough to get behind him (even though the Chansiri is a ****). 

Thanks mate great post 👍