3 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Is there any credible source for this?

All I can see is Dom Howson regurgitating the fact we’re in talks with him. Which we’ve known since Pulis told the press about him, Lees & Bannan. 

28 years old though, last big contract. I’d be very surprised if he stayed. I’ll not say stunned, because I said that about Bannan and his new contract was announced the next day....

The cynic in me says it shows a lot about their motivation if true.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The cynic in me says it shows a lot about their motivation if true.

A mate said the day Bannan’s was announced that he wasn’t really that surprised. He’s the king of his own castle and clearly has Chansiri in his pocket. The squad also idolise him and it’d take a lot for the majority of the fan base to turn. 

In the short term it is worth the gamble. If we stay up nothing lost, if we go down you let every club in the land know what your inevitable relegation release clause is. 

10 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Is there any credible source for this?

All I can see is Dom Howson regurgitating the fact we’re in talks with him. Which we’ve known since Pulis told the press about him, Lees & Bannan. 

28 years old though, last big contract. I’d be very surprised if he stayed. I’ll not say stunned, because I said that about Bannan and his new contract was announced the next day....

I think Bannan will leave in the summer. Suspect we’ll get bids and doubt we’ll turn them down this time.

He’d be a rate player if he had an ounce of bravery, which in league 1 is a pretty key attribute. Think he needs to go on a course of testosterone boosting therapy or something, get himself all fired up. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Animis said:

Reach is an intelligent footballer but either lacks the belief or desire or both, and doesn't always seem to enjoy football.

He always looks a bit like he's not that bothered - not in a Boothroyd style - but sort of I'd rather be a painter & decorator style.

Definitely. I think he's a very good player on  his day (carried the team for two years straight in 17/18 and 18/19) but get the vibe he'd always rather be doing something else - football is his career, not his passion. Not a critism, just an observation.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, trev said:

If we can afford to keep him and he is willing to play in league one it's a winner.

Maybe it will be a contract so we can sell him if we go down...similar to what Bannan probably signed?

It would have to be on a greatly reduced basic or a contract that’s based on appearances, performance (assists etc) and goals.

If his current contract had those clauses then maybe I’d be getting more government pension. !!

I have no interest in retaining any existing players. If you don’t have the fight in you to stay in this league you sure as hell don’t have enough to climb out of League One.

Hanging on to players with no clear strategy of how we intend to utilise them. Oh, and no manager......

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

I think Bannan will leave in the summer. Suspect we’ll get bids and doubt we’ll turn them down this time.

Anything north of £1m and we should be snapping their hands off, particularly with his age and our impending relegation. 

1 minute ago, kristmace said:

Anything north of £1m and we should be snapping their hands off, particularly with his age and our impending relegation. 

You have to multiply any reasonable transfer fee for any of players by 5 due to the Chansiri factor.

59 minutes ago, bradowl said:

It is surely going to be on reduced terms. 

We no longer can afford to pay players 20, 30, 40k a week, we couldn't before tbf. 

Its got to be 10k max if/when in league one and then we would still be one of highest in league if not highest.

10,000 is absurd for Adam Reach in this division never mind the one below. We were mad to pay £5m for him. No one else would pay him what we do.

I think it’s best for both parties that Reach moved on.

We need a clear out. By releasing Westwood, Rhodes, Lees, Reach and Joost, that will save a circa £130k per week in wages or £6,76m per annum. 

They should all move on for 1 reason or another. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, trev said:

If we can afford to keep him and he is willing to play in league one it's a winner.

Maybe it will be a contract so we can sell him if we go down...similar to what Bannan probably signed?

Sell him to who though?

Seriously can’t see anyone offering a fee for him.

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

A mate said the day Bannan’s was announced that he wasn’t really that surprised. He’s the king of his own castle and clearly has Chansiri in his pocket. The squad also idolise him and it’d take a lot for the majority of the fan base to turn. 

In the short term it is worth the gamble. If we stay up nothing lost, if we go down you let every club in the land know what your inevitable relegation release clause is. 

Bannan has been on  good wages for 10 years now , so probably set up for life.

Does he want the hassle of a new club etc, might as well be the big fish and keep on the S6 gravy train.

Another strange story out of Wednesday. Reports say we can’t give a lower league manager an 18 month contract due to financial concerns of relegation.  Yet we can offer new contracts to Bannan and Reach.  There will be buy-out clauses but if no one wants them we are paying their wages in league 1.  But can’t afford Cook.   Strange times 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

To be fair, and I really mean this, in League One he will probably be ok. 

I agree 100% definitely his level.  All those slating Chansiri for not planning for a future are mad :Chansiri: Granted it's sadly in League 1 like

Edited by OWLS about that?
addition
  • Haha 1