Kal Naismith

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

250k??

so we could have signed 10 of him for the same price as 1 van Aken?

Makes you realise you could build a very handy side for less than a couple of million if your recruitments right.

How much did united’s squad cost the year they went up from league one? Not a lot I’m guessing? It’s do-able. Need the right recruiting method though or you end up with journeymen who are on the decline.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tudders said:

How much did united’s squad cost the year they went up from league one? Not a lot I’m guessing? It’s do-able. Need the right recruiting method though or you end up with journeymen who are on the decline.

For that type of outlay, and the wages they’ll be on (not the 20-30k p/w we have been dishing out) we could afford to make a couple of missteps in the market and still be in a far healthier position we are currently in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

For that type of outlay, and the wages they’ll be on (not the 20-30k p/w we have been dishing out) we could afford to make a couple of missteps in the market and still be in a far healthier position we are currently in.

This is one reason why we'd be better off getting a manager who's been about these divisions; familiarity with players is a real boon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Yeah we discussed Adebayo before deadline. Clearly we had no money. We couldn’t afford a league one left-back - and we tried 2 of them, so signing a goalscorer was never gonna happen. We were scratching around asking for buy now pay later deals. Everything we do now is cheap. Chansiri must go.

Indeed, Pickering and Adebayo are better round pegs, than bloody Paterson and Windass, and would have been a lot cheaper Always said there were the players out there, if we were prepared to look, and with those two, the oft trotted out excuse that players wouldn’t sign because of the points deduction would have been irrelevant Getting the recruitment so wrong, and obviously not learning the lessons of yore, means I can’t support the chairman anymore He doesn’t help himself does he

5 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Was quite impressed with him yesterday so thought I would look at his profile as he has only recently joined Luton, He was a free agent in January having left Wigan , Paul cook brought him to England from Scotland for Portsmouth then took him to Wigan , we could have done with him yesterday and could have had him and Cook 

Instead we sign Dunkley with a broken leg 

Look on the positive side...

Dunkley had one leg that wasn't broken.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Indeed, Pickering and Adebayo are better round pegs, than bloody Paterson and Windass, and would have been a lot cheaper Always said there were the players out there, if we were prepared to look, and with those two, the oft trotted out excuse that players wouldn’t sign because of the points deduction would have been irrelevant Getting the recruitment so wrong, and obviously not learning the lessons of yore, means I can’t support the chairman anymore He doesn’t help himself does he

It seems our ‘recruitment team’ are intent on signing players who are ‘proven’. Players who have either done it before in the Championship or have had a stint in the Premier League. Problem with this approach is that these players best days are usually behind them, they often don’t have a point to prove, and they’re often on the decline.

It feels as if this is the type of player DC wants. He hasn’t grasped it yet. He always says aim is promotion so he scrabbles around trying to sign proven players at this level on the cheap. But there’s a reason they’re on the cheap - they’re no good anymore.

He would be better off signing young players from the division below with a point to prove, with the qualities we lack. Prime example being Adebayo. He is exactly what we need and cost half of what Windass and Paterson did. 

We had a great chance to do this in the summer but we lumbered ourselves with more injury prone, past it and boring Championship players like Kachunga, Windass, Brown and co.

Such a short sighted useless way of doing things.

• Love 1

Guest wilyfox
41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

that is where we disagree. Pickering cost Blackburn more than we paid for Paterson or Windass. I know you have a downer on those two, but for the money they’re decent. They’re prime age players with champ experience. If they push for 10 goals each, find a better 20-goal contribution at this level for a million..

Guest Bulgaria
37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It feels as if this is the type of player DC wants

I don't really think he has much choice.

I've no doubt he is obligated to sign certainly players from certain agents, otherwise he would be facing the courts.

Allegedly.

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

I think we paid money for Paterson..there was a list of transfers with fees on twitter or on here and I was surprised. From what we have seen, he is not a defender either

We paid around 500k for Windass and 450k for Patterson. Wouldn't say they have been bad value but hardly awe inspiring either. 

7 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Naismith is bang average in my opinion. The laddie Adebayo looks a player, Hearts had agreed a pre contract with him but then pulled out when we managed to sign Gnanduillet instead. Walsall were insisting on a fee straight away and he was always the number 2 choice.

Considering the shortage of strikers Wednesday have and his cheap price he would have been a decent bet and a good project. He is reasonably young, a handful in the box, and he scores goals. Good for next season presuming we go down too

Bang average is a improvement on what we have on the left 

Below average is all we can muster