Why did we lose the second half?

We may have known what was coming but we didn't set up to nullify the threat.

For the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we should have brought on Dunkley and gone 4-4-2

We should have gone a little bit narrower even if there were one or two more crosses coming in. We should have brought on Kachunga for Windass and had him closer to Paterson. Paterson should stay within the width of the 18 yd box and not gone chasing. Let them have it across the back and cut off the channels.

Tactically we should have slowed it down. Dropped more in challenges. Given miore niggly free kicks away and wind them up by not giving the ball back quickly at set pieces...wind them up a bit. Not let them build any momentum and frustrate them. Once through the storm and they started to chase the game we should have replaced Paterson with Marriott and exploit the gaps they left.

The problem we have is that we are not fit. The 1st half drained several key players...oh, and Hutch isn't a midfielder and gets drawn out of position too much.

• Like 1

From a football on the day point of view, little things change games.  IIRC the first goal came from a corner that was won after we had possession, punted a long ball up to Paterson deep in their half which bounced off him leading to the break that we somehow contrived to give a corner away.  For the second we had possession on the half way line and Rhodes needlessly gave possession away from a poor Crossfield pass which led to a breakaway and goal directly.  Both incidents left us defensively exposed as we had started to move into offensive shape before an unexpected turnover.   Why cant we keep good possession.

• Like 2

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

For me it’s got to be about mental strength or lack of it. I was praying that we didn’t concede early in the second half then what did we do - two in 8 mins in the first 12 minutes of the half!

You could sense the fear and the lack of belief and control. We have no leaders and no one to Marshall the troops so to speak.

They were 11 individuals getting pulled all over the place after the break.

To be fair this is normal. We never really take control but the really worrying thing is that we let this happen when we had a 2 goal lead.

We are doomed!

Edited by GMOwl72

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Not looking for ‘cos we are crap’ replies but more specifically where you think we went wrong in the second half yesterday and lost the game 

For me I started to worry when Windass sat down injured two minutes in as we were trying to build up the momentum and attacks again

It totally took the wind out of our sails and I felt that went definitely in their favour 

After that it was a mess but what specifically do you think was the issue?

Luton came out with a rocket under them for sure but Neil Thompson said he had spent half time drilling into them that would happen and to be on their guard 

Two key players injured early and not replaced especially weakening midfield, crucial for when they have a real go in first 20 minutes of the half. Poor management making the job more difficult for poor quality players offering big advantage to the opposition.

1 minute ago, Striggy said:

Both incidents left us defensively exposed as we had started to move into offensive shape before an unexpected turnover.   Why cant we keep good possession.

I had to laugh at that. You are right of course, but it takes all our effort and time to even get into an offensive shape that we are become dreadfully exposed. 

Just now, Animis said:

I had to laugh at that. You are right of course, but it takes all our effort and time to even get into an offensive shape that we are become dreadfully exposed. 

Yeah thought twice about leaving that line in, but hope you know what I mean, that little voice in the back of our players mind when we get possession and start to move forward going "attack, attach, attack" followed immediately by "FFS"

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

27 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Even so, if we can't defend a TWO goal lead, heaven help us. It was noticeable that their first goal came within the first 10 minutes of thebsecond half. Why are we so bad in the early stages of the second half?What happens to the players during half time? 

They've probably used up all their energy in the first half.

Don't forget we've got players here who aren't used to playing a full 90 mins every week, they've been bit part players everywhere else.

Hutchinson was a prime example yesterday , he hasn't got the energy to play championship football in a midfield role for 90 mins , Brown had hardly played , Bannan is built like a child , is there any wonder we get walked all over 2nd half 

It's my fault

I didn't wanna watch the game 

I didn't watch the first half 

Saw the score thought I can't miss a Wednesday win 

The rest is history :duntmatter:

Not looking for ‘cos we are crap’ replies but more specifically where you think we went wrong in the second half yesterday and lost the game 

For me I started to worry when Windass sat down injured two minutes in as we were trying to build up the momentum and attacks again

It totally took the wind out of our sails and I felt that went definitely in their favour 

Luton came out with a rocket under them for sure but Neil Thompson said he had spent half time drilling into them that would happen and to be on their guard 

Quite simply their manager realised his formation and tactics weren't working and took action at half time to change it. 

It’s just mental fortitude really 

They panic under pressure and outside of Börner and Bannan every just started hacking at the ball

At the same time they also started to get the ball in and around Wildsmith, which is a recipe for causing panic in the simplest of situations

Throw in some poor substitutions - leaving unfit players on the pitch - and you’ve got problems

Our players dont like it up'em.

Luton came out 2nd half and pressed us and we do not respond to that, in fact our players in midfield hide.

It has been the case for the last 6 season's so nothing new, and after 8 changes of coach/manager in 6 years we are still the same.

We brought in personal just tp fill a gap and not to do a specific job or change of style.

56 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

First half Luton played out from the back and we pressed them from the front. Second half they stopped that and started pressing us from the front.

When teams press us from the front, there is panic all over.

No composure on the ball, no defensive positioning, no leadership on the pitch to tell players to get a grip and get in position.

How many times do we see our players surrounded by opposition players, nobody goes to help and we just end up losing the ball.

There is also a major problem with the coaching. The 3rd goal screenshot that I posted shows that.

Lees, Hutchinson, Bannan, Reech, Paterson, Windass, there is more than enough experience out there to all be captiain's/ leaders

Guest Grandad

I keep seeing all the 'spineless' and 'lazy' comments

I think its neither.

I just don't think we are very good.

Weve spent 2 seasons allowing all the quality from our squad to leave for free and replacing it with free transfer cast offs from other Championship sides. And we are now exactly where we deserve to be

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I keep seeing all the 'spineless' and 'lazy' comments

I think its neither.

I just don't think we are very good.

Weve spent 2 seasons allowing all the quality from our squad to leave for free and replacing it with free transfer cast offs from other Championship sides. And we are now exactly where we deserve to be

We are playing now the same way we played in 2016, you are right the players are not there to play that way, but having splurged all our money on the players at that time, without bring in any from sales we are paying the price.

We brought players in without any thought of how we were going to utilise them or changed the system to suit.

Now we have a group of players who do not have an collective identity and cannot play as a team.