Why did we lose the second half?

First half Luton played out from the back and we pressed them from the front. Second half they stopped that and started pressing us from the front.

When teams press us from the front, there is panic all over.

No composure on the ball, no defensive positioning, no leadership on the pitch to tell players to get a grip and get in position.

How many times do we see our players surrounded by opposition players, nobody goes to help and we just end up losing the ball.

There is also a major problem with the coaching. The 3rd goal screenshot that I posted shows that.

• Like 4

Absolutely zero tactical awareness of how to defend and attack as a team.

Yes we scored 2 but that was more down to them playing bad rather that good play by is opening then up.

Our entire defensive structure is none existent. As shown by the screen shot yesterday where they had numerous players free. 

Thompson has been managing the kids for a reason and its not because he's a master coach and to manager. Not his fault.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

We came out to defend a lead, not build on it.

Even so, if we can't defend a TWO goal lead, heaven help us. It was noticeable that their first goal came within the first 10 minutes of thebsecond half. Why are we so bad in the early stages of the second half?What happens to the players during half time? 

It was no suprise.

This team can't handle it when the opposition start huslling and closing down in midfield. They made the changes and suddenly they were cruising through midfield putting pressure on our defence.

These collapses have now been going on for a few seasons.

Luongo makes a difference when he is fit.

• Like 1

They were 2 down and made 3 subs ...half time came at a bad time for us we could have got 4 ....second half the midfield got over run and we couldn't contain their changes.

This is where you need a manager they had one and we don't....by that I'm not slagging NT off but he's just not a manager.

Edited by TaxiMark

The 3 subs changed the game.

They reacted to the situation they were in and we didn’t have the attitude/heart/skill whatever to defend our lead.

We should have been 4 up at half-time but that doesn’t justify the collapse in the 2nd half.

At 2 down they simply wanted it more and put fresh blood on to do so.  

A lot of our players think they are better than they are.  They forgot how to fight to be better.

You know this team is fragile - a half decent championship side running rings around our fairly predictable and physically slow/weak players - it's not a new phenomenon.

Once the first Luton goal went in, I expected more. I didn't for one moment think we'll restore the 2-goal margin - why is that?

The mentally at the club; amongst the players and management team for some time has been poor - almost defeatist. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if you think about the other team's strengths and our weaknesses and try/focus to stop the worst happening - it inevitably will.

We need a group of sports phycologists to work with the players - get under the issues; why they are seemingly destined for defeat and failure.

The team smells of defeat - next game up against our neighbors in a 6-point crunch game should see the players on it - in reality most fans expect the worst. They expect a tentative performance trying to eek out a 1-0 win and defending deep for the last 10 mins. 

We totally stopped tracking any player runs and marking - it was so hard to watch, no one picks up a man - the midfielders just point at a player from every set piece we are defending rather than mark anyone.

Harris puts ball out for a throw in, runs and stands infront of the throw in taker, he’s the only Wednesday man near and he’s marking the throw in taker leaving their players totally in the open. (Just a single example of the inept defending)

Urgohide had a shocker for me (I don’t blame the kid, he’s developing but get him out the firing line). Lees was poor, actually didn’t think borner was that bad but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wildsmith just doesn’t ever seem to make any saves! Comes out to catch ball seems to try catch it at his waist rather than in the air, beat to it by a short attacker, adds to the calamity / pressure they are all feeling.

Hutch was knackered, thought he was going to finish the game with one leg - don’t think he can play midfield (especially for 90 mins) and as much as Pessy frustrates the hell out of me he just runs at whoever has the ball and puts them under pressure - we desperately lacked that.

Rhodes - I just don’t think he’s the kind of guy you want on the pitch when you are in a real dogfight, Paterson runs through walls, chased everything down, gives them grief, Rhodes just isn’t that guy. 

Don’t wanna use the pashun line - but their gaffer is out directing, giving instruction throughout - our lads stand with arms crossed and just mutter “ffs” when they score - not expecting raging idiots on the sideline but we looked so lethargic in comparison to them second half every part of the pitch.

thought brown had a good game 

Absolutely gutted - it’s only one game, but the impact on mentality that collapse is going to have is scary - very little confidence now going forward.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

..only an opinion but I think in the dressing room they were told to go out and do the same as the first half, without any thought that Luton would change it and couldn't be anywhere near as bad as the first half. Tactically inept. 

I know I'm not supposed to say but an experienced coach should have expected what happened and changed things accordingly. The rest is history. 

But there have been plenty on here criticising NT for worrying about the opposition tactics rather than just playing our own game.

I'm not sure which it's supposed to be now.

3 minutes ago, Jwowl said:

We totally stopped tracking any player runs and marking - it was so hard to watch, no one picks up a man - the midfielders just point at a player from every set piece we are defending rather than mark anyone.

Harris puts ball out for a throw in, runs and stands infront of the throw in taker, he’s the only Wednesday man near and he’s marking the throw in taker leaving their players totally in the open. (Just a single example of the inept defending)

Urgohide had a shocker for me (I don’t blame the kid, he’s developing but get him out the firing line). Lees was poor, actually didn’t think borner was that bad but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wildsmith just doesn’t ever seem to make any saves! Comes out to catch ball seems to try catch it at his waist rather than in the air, beat to it by a short attacker, adds to the calamity / pressure they are all feeling.

Hutch was knackered, thought he was going to finish the game with one leg - don’t think he can play midfield (especially for 90 mins) and as much as Pessy frustrates the hell out of me he just runs at whoever has the ball and puts them under pressure - we desperately lacked that.

Rhodes - I just don’t think he’s the kind of guy you want on the pitch when you are in a real dogfight, Paterson runs through walls, chased everything down, gives them grief, Rhodes just isn’t that guy. 

Don’t wanna use the pashun line - but their gaffer is out directing, giving instruction throughout - our lads stand with arms crossed and just mutter “ffs” when they score - not expecting raging idiots on the sideline but we looked so lethargic in comparison to them second half every part of the pitch.

thought brown had a good game 

Absolutely gutted - it’s only one game, but the impact on mentality that collapse is going to have is scary - very little confidence now going forward.

Marry me 😍