It’s All Over

Neil Thompson has been thrown a hospital pass. Chansiri needs to get a more experienced manager in before we are too far adrift. If he doesn't do that soon then you know how he really is with the club and the fans are left to look at the bomb crater (as usual)

For me it’s all over. The Birmingham game last week was huge, too lose that was a killer. 

To reach 50 points now we need to pick 22 points. That’s around 1.5 ppg, essentially that means we need to win around 7 of our remaining 14 games. This is a team that’s won 9 in 32.

Fair play to anyone with some hope, but after the last 4 games the writing has been on the wall. We just can’t beat the teams around us. 

Down.  Without doubt.

players won’t recover from the last 7 days.

Let NT see the season out, start to play players contracted for next season above those out of contract. Start scouting for players for league 1.  Move Hutchinson to the coaching team to ease the inevitable transition to him being manager.

31 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

As I said, it is a mood thing.

The reality is something different. It is not all over, there is still plenty to play for. It looks to me that three out of six are going to get relegated and there is so little between them that anything can and will happen.

Its not a mood is it

Its reality, we can’t beat the dross in this league with a 2 nil start

Its a fact 

2 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Its not a mood is it

Its reality, we can’t beat the dross in this league with a 2 nil start

Its a fact 

OK, whatever - I can't see into the future but I will cling to some hope for the time being (until after the game on Wednesday at least).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's not all over though, is it? That is just the mood that everyone is feeling.

As bad as things are, we are still six points away from escaping relegation and other teams are not really pulling away. There is still quite a lot of games to go and things can still be turned around.

The mistake you’re making is thinking that this short term view or closing a 6 point gap changes anything the OP is talking about.

Lets say the team turns it around, finishes 21st and stays up. What then? What’s next? What does next years team look like? Who are we signing? Who is the manager? Is there a coaching setup?

There’s no money. There’s no plan. There’s no structure. There’s no vision. There’s nothing about the way that Chansiri has ran the club that suggests any positivity for a rebuild. Last year we stayed up and hoped for improvement instead of dropping to League One. What makes you think doing the same this year will be different going into next season? 

At this point thinking the conversation about us being “done” is limited to this relegation battle is just ignorance. You should do yourself a favour and prepare for this bad, directionless team to be relegated and anything else will be a bonus to you. If I’m proved wrong and the team stays up, we can both move onto worrying about how the club makes it through the next 12 months under Chansiri and the 21/22 relegation battle.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

The mistake you’re making is thinking that this short term view or closing a 6 point gap changes anything the OP is talking about.

Lets say the team turns it around, finishes 21st and stays up. What then? What’s next? What does next years team look like? Who are we signing? Who is the manager? Is there a coaching setup?

There’s no money. There’s no plan. There’s no structure. There’s no vision. There’s nothing about the way that Chansiri has ran the club that suggests any positivity for a rebuild. Last year we stayed up and hoped for improvement instead of dropping to League One. What makes you think doing the same this year will be different going into next season? 

At this point thinking the conversation about us being “done” is limited to this relegation battle is just ignorance. You should do yourself a favour and prepare for this bad, directionless team to be relegated and anything else will be a bonus to you. If I’m proved wrong and the team stays up, we can both move onto worrying about how the club makes it through the next 12 months under Chansiri and the 21/22 relegation battle.

None of that I would disagree with. The bottom line for me is trying to escape relegation. Then take it from there. The thing is we still stand more chance of being taken over if we can stay in the division. I can't really think of many advantages of being in League One. If that happens, I can only foresee a "Portsmouth" type ending and a fight back as a completely new entity possibly from League Two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

None of that I would disagree with. The bottom line for me is trying to escape relegation. Then take it from there. The thing is we still stand more chance of being taken over if we can stay in the division. I can't really think of many advantages of being in League One. If that happens, I can only foresee a "Portsmouth" type ending and a fight back as a completely new entity possibly from League Two.

I agree and ultimately I think we’re on the same page. I too would choose surviving over relegation, and you’re right that there is no benefit to us being in League One.

At this point, it just feels like a coping mechanism though. As if just thinking about the scrap to stay up is the best case scenario that means we don’t have to think about anything else. If we all concentrate on that 6 point gap and the sheer hope that this team survives, then it delays the very real prospect of a Portsmouth or Bolton or Bradford, and that this club might be legitimately finished if it goes down.

Hopefully, Rotherham and Huddersfield to start with. Obviously, if we can't get anything from these games, it will be dire but we're not dead and buried just yet.

Weve been saying this for months, yet we have failed to beat the teams around us when it has mattered, Wycombe aside.  

We’ve already been humiliated by Rotherham once this season. I don’t see how anything is going to miraculously change. 

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's not all over though, is it? That is just the mood that everyone is feeling.

As bad as things are, we are still six points away from escaping relegation and other teams are not really pulling away. There is still quite a lot of games to go and things can still be turned around.

If we stay up we'd struggle to plan for next year. Delaying inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I agree and ultimately I think we’re on the same page. I too would choose surviving over relegation, and you’re right that there is no benefit to us being in League One.

At this point, it just feels like a coping mechanism though. As if just thinking about the scrap to stay up is the best case scenario that means we don’t have to think about anything else. If we all concentrate on that 6 point gap and the sheer hope that this team survives, then it delays the very real prospect of a Portsmouth or Bolton or Bradford, and that this club might be legitimately finished if it goes down.

I think the cut off point for me will be the Rotherham game. We have to try to win the game no matter how scrappy the battle turns out to be. The biggest immediate issue is the situation is too difficult for an inexperienced manager like NT. I never thought I would say this but perhaps the situation calls for an experienced, motivated type of guy like Megson to come and help NT through the next few weeks. The one thing Megson would instill is fight combined with an intense desire for Sheffield Wednesday to get out of the mire. Even having him around the changing room would help.

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313

Today, at 4:00 pm, we were technically outside the bottom three. Granted we should not have capitulated in that matter but the flipside is that it demonstrated how quickly things can and do turn around. Something obviously has to change, preferably a new manager or head coach but it is not the time to give up just yet.

Yeah but after that there was a 6 point swing.. 6 points that stick on the board at the end of the game. That’s two wins we need now just to get back to where we were at half time.. oh and it’s even worse than that, we also need Birmingham to lose 2 at the same time. Drop that in an Acca and the odds aren’t good.. it’s a massive gap that’s opened up

Anyway it’s all a moot point. Scrape our way to safety this season then at the end of it we’ll lose Westwood, Hutchinson, Lees, Reach and Rhodes probably. I know some will say that’s good but then we’ll go and replace them with far worse and have little chance next season

It's Over

Roy Orbison

Your baby doesn't love you any more
Golden days before they end
Whisper secrets to the wind
Your baby won't be near you any more

Tender nights before they fly
Send falling stars that seem to cry
Your baby doesn't want you any more
It's over

It breaks your heart in two, to know she's been untrue
But oh what will you do?
When she says to you
There's someone new we're through, we're through
It's over, it's over, it's over

All the rainbows in the sky start to even say…

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
28 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

That’s exactly how I see it too.. but all these points are really obvious aren’t they?

So let’s assume we did finish 21st. Is Chansiri going to think right cut my losses now, or right time to reinvest and build a new team, or is he going to stick with the status quo and weaken the squad further. If it’s the latter then staying up is delaying the inevitable.. we need investment one way or another if we’re going to get anywhere near the top half of the table again never mind promotion 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

I'm normally not one for hysterics,  so I will calmly agree that we won't now stay up. I know it's not over until mathematically certain blah blah blah...but the players know it after today, and so does Thompson.  

I'm not sure why this season should have been such a relegation battle once we had 6 points back. That's just two wins..absolutely nothing.

The squad on paper isn't that bad either; we still have Bannan, one of best midfielders stat wise in the division, a £5 million winger in Reach,  and many other players who are capable of much, much more than they are showing now.

Look, a good start in League one next season will cheer us up. Most of players we have now will stay, as quite frankly no-one will want them, so there won't be much team building to be done. 

If I'm totally honest, I really don't care anymore and I don't think I'm the only one.

I don’t think this team will do any better than mid table in league 1 this season. When you consider who’s out of contract, Westwood might leave and even if he doesn’t he’s injured half the time. Lees could get a championship club, could see him at a Preston or something. Hutchinson the same.. Bannan we know could get one as there’s interest and the new contract will have a release clause. Reach plays like he’s already left.. Shaw has signed elsewhere, Rhodes after the last 4 years and being left out loads isn’t going to stay and will get another championship club on reputation alone. Even likes of Windass and Paterson will go for less than we paid for them and be squad players elsewhere. Iorfa will move on and has been relatively untainted by this season as he’s missed most of it.

what’s left? Dawson and Wildsmith. Palmer, Borner, Urgohide, Penney.

Harris, Pelupessy, Kachunga, 

Basically utter garbage and we’d need to spend millions we probably don’t have just to be competitive in league 1. We’re in serious serious trouble here 

9 hours ago, 0114 said:

For me it’s all over. The Birmingham game last week was huge, too lose that was a killer. 

To reach 50 points now we need to pick 22 points. That’s around 1.5 ppg, essentially that means we need to win around 7 of our remaining 14 games. This is a team that’s won 9 in 32.

Fair play to anyone with some hope, but after the last 4 games the writing has been on the wall. We just can’t beat the teams around us. 

Well... we've won 6 of our last 14. And we can beat the teams around us. We've beaten Birmingham, Wycombe, Coventry and Derby. But we've still got to play 7 of the top 9. 

Guest Bulgaria
9 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

The one thing Megson would instill is fight combined with an intense desire for Sheffield Wednesday to get out of the mire. Even having him around the changing room would help.

Not so sure matey.

It worked on players who didn't have ego's.

Most of our squad think they are much better than they really are, they wouldn't listen to a bloke like Megson.

He would give a team talk, then Westwood, Hutchinson, Reach and Bannan would gather in the car park and just take the pisss out of him.

27 minutes ago, Sova said:

Well... we've won 6 of our last 14. And we can beat the teams around us. We've beaten Birmingham, Wycombe, Coventry and Derby. But we've still got to play 7 of the top 9. 

And winning 6 of our remaining 14 games would only leave us with 46 points. Which is likely not to be good enough unless we can draw 4 of the remaining games aswell. To pick up 22 points it’s taken this team 20 matches. 

We’ve also lost to Wycombe, Birmingham and Coventry at some point this season. We’ve also lost to Rotherham and Huddersfield. So we’ve lost to the 1 team below us and 4 above at some point. My point is we’ve lost more points than we’ve made against rivals and that’s a massive reason we aren’t out of this mess.