Barry Bannan once again in top Championship player stats

Just now, Emilianenko said:

Premier League Norwich wanted Rhodes

2 seasons ago. They had Premier League money but still didn't see it through at a time when Covid wasn't a factor. 

Do you think Rhodes is still a top class striker at this level?

6 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Without disparaging either player, don't forget the old saying - There are Liars, Bloody Liars, and Statisticians. The only true stats are - 

P - W - L - D - GF - GA - G Diff - Points. 

Exactly, I'm baffled as to how he is anywhere near the top. Who are these 'key' passes too???

Edited by Andrew6666

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Having played and watched football.

Do you really think players decide among themselves who's taking a free-kick, corner or penalty with no input from the manager?

When you watch other teams get free kicks , they have 2 or 3 players debating with different outcomes. We have debates and the outcome is normally the same.

6 hours ago, peggyowl said:

key passes what a load of codswallop.  

I'm sorry Bannan in ineffectual.   He passes backwards and side ways more than forwards.   He isn't the solution to our problem.   yes he needs the players around him but he has been the problem for a lomng time.  His delivery from set pieces is shocking.   Corners awful and his goal return for a midfielder is pants.

13:51 onwards. 

Bannan assist? No, Reach.

What actually makes the goal? Bannan - reading of the game, quality, skill, vision. He does this all over the pitch, opening up the early stages of chances we create. It has nothing to do with assists. 

I really struggle with people not getting Bannan, I get opinions, but he's literally the only player we have that I genuinely enjoy watching. 

He'd be class at Brentford, will never really get why he didn't push for that move.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don’t think any owls fan would blame Bannan for where we are now. I don’t think any owls fan would blame any of the players for where we are now.

But there’s only one stat that matters and nothing else...League tables don’t lie.

The club doesn’t have the right players for this league.

41 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

I don’t think any owls fan would blame Bannan for where we are now. I don’t think any owls fan would blame any of the players for where we are now.

But there’s only one stat that matters and nothing else...League tables don’t lie.

The club doesn’t have the right players for this league.

Your right our squad is poor for this level.

But if Banann was the worst player in the squad then we would be a competitive 2nd tier outfit.

I think Barry is probably a season or 2 past his best but he is still a decent second division player.

• Like 1

Bannan is a very gifted footballer. Anyone who disputes that needs their head examining.

However, given what is around him right now, I'm not sure how effective he really is. The stats will say otherwise, but I've seen enough of us this season to suggest that's a fair assessment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Maybe everyone is looking at it the wrong way. We have one of the Championships deadliest finishers, players we have and have had as strikers tend to do better at other teams. Maybe the supply is just not good enough? Maybe it’s not the strikers who aren’t good enough but the creative players?

Ignoring the separate discussion about the standard of our forwards, there's little doubt that our creative players aren't good enough.

But quite why anyone would criticise the one player who does actually manage to create opportunities for his teammates with any degree of consistency, I'm not sure.

In the past two and a half seasons, Bannan is responsible for 32% of our assists and 31% our key passes.

If we had other creative players chipping in and sharing the load as we did when Wallace, Lee, Hooper, and Forestieri were playing alongside him, then we'd be in a better position.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, 83owl said:

I know there’s different theories on if Bannan is being told to play the “deep lying playmaker” role or if he is simply doing it himself but he needs to be further forward.

We aren’t scoring goals, especially not from open play and one of the reasons is that we can’t sustain any pressure on our opponents. Bannan is the best player we have at taking the ball under pressure, he’s the one player we want on the ball 30-40 yards out from their goal instead of ours. Until we can start getting him on the ball in these positions it’s going to be more of the same pointless hoofs upfront to a non existent target man. 

Precisely this. I can’t think of any other team that has a tactic of using the player with the best range of passing as a deep lying quarterback. Playing deep, 99% of Bannan’s passes don’t trouble the opposition or disrupt their team shape. He’s simply recycling the ball. If he’s not affecting the game in the final third he becomes a liability because he literally can’t do anything else. Play him in an advanced attacking role or play someone else with more energy, pace and physicality 

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Seriously?

You think they do no work in training on set pieces and the manager has no say whatsoever on the set piece taker every game, even if they continually come to nothing?

Our stats for goals from set pieces aren't dramatically worse than every other team in the division even though we have no goal scoring defenders of note and no great height in our midfield or attack to aim for. I dare say we don't win as many corners as many others either due to our lack of attacking threat. 

Others have taken set pieces recently., I can think of a couple from Harris, one which went out for a throw and one which went out over the bar for a goal kick.  

It's not like others are continually scoring from corners against us and we probably concede more corners than we win. Its a tired and lazy observation. 

So what you're saying is that its Thompson's fault rather than Barry's that our corners are crap.

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's because he only ever attempts a 5-yard pass - to Bannan.

Bannan's key passes and pass completion rate would be even higher if he actually had someone worth passing to in front of him. Sometimes he has, when Reach is wide left, not when he is lost wandering around right of centre. 

So you’re  suggesting that Bannan chooses not to pass forwards because there’s no one worth passing to? You really believe this ?