We would be in this mess right now if we had stuck with...

Monk only achieved 37 points from his last 35 matches of last season & 12 points from 11 matches this season (49 points over 46 matches) which indicates that his own coaching staff made very little difference. 

Sacking Monk isn’t the issue, although by most standards he should have gone before the lockdown last March. The issue is the incompetence of DC replacing Monk with Pulis the biggest dinosaur in football then replacing him with an old school academy coach with no managerial experience.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

No he didn't.

We were already on the downward spiral and he wasnt a good enough manager to get us off it.

We finished 2018/19 with only 4 defeats over the second half of the season and the 5th best record in the league after Jos, another failing manager got the boot.

So when Monk came in we were still half decent.. and by the time he left we were cannon fodder. The downward spiral is partly his fault as well as the lack of finance from above. But he ostracised Westwood and Hutchinson and didn’t even try to get anything out of Forestieri. A better manager would have looked at our squad and realised those 3 were key and tried to get performances from them.

Thank god he’s gone, just a shame it was 9 months too late

7 minutes ago, Bannerman65 said:

Shame Steve Bruce left, to take up the Newcastle managers job.  He really is a decent manager.

Not according to Newcastle fans!!

Welcome to Owlstalk btw.

Thank you, flying-owl.  🙂

I didn't know that Steve Bruce was a bad manager.  Seemed to do well enough, when he was at Hillsborough.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

An academy coach who has never managed at this level, who got the job at short notice, has got a better record than Monk this season and Monk had the pre-season to prepare and his own choice of staff. Just because Pulis turned out to be a shocker doesn't mean it would have been right to stick with Monk. 

None of which changes the fact that Monk had to deal with covid,the points deduction pending,player embargo,& alleged 'player power' plus he had players leaving,and not  accepting contract extensions,and the enforced lay off....not comparing like with like mate...

5 minutes ago, Bannerman65 said:

Thank you, flying-owl.  🙂

I didn't know that Steve Bruce was a bad manager.  Seemed to do well enough, when he was at Hillsborough.

He did well for us in the short time he was here but most Newcastle fans want him out. They are 4th bottom of prem.

• Thanks 1

Ang to think that Steve Bruce thought that the Newcastle managership, was a dream job....  I thnk he should have stayed with us.

22 minutes ago, flying-owl said:

Not according to Newcastle fans!!

Welcome to Owlstalk btw.

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

None of which changes the fact that Monk had to deal with covid,the points deduction pending,player embargo,& alleged 'player power' plus he had players leaving,and not  accepting contract extensions,and the enforced lay off....not comparing like with like mate...

He had a clean slate this season and got less points per game than Thompson had managed. Yes the conditions he was working under were difficult but they are no better now.

Are you saying the situation he had to work with was worse than what Thompson has? That's what we are comparing - a manger who regards himself as at least a Championship manager, supported by his own backroom staff, compared with a manager who has spent most of his career coaching academy teams and has probably never even applied for a managerial job at this level. 

14 minutes ago, flying-owl said:

He did well for us in the short time he was here but most Newcastle fans want him out. They are 4th bottom of prem.

He’s on a point per game for them.. and I’ve got no idea what their fans expect really. Top 14 sides all have better players than Newcastle so they’re about where you’d expect.

Its like they’re the Wednesday of the Prem.. dodgy owner, high expectations, not enough investment in playing staff, matter of time before they have a bad season and drop again

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He had a clean slate this season and got less points per game than Thompson had managed. Yes the conditions he was working under were difficult but they are no better now.

Are you saying the situation he had to work with was worse than what Thompson has? That's what we are comparing - a manger who regards himself as at least a Championship manager, supported by his own backroom staff, compared with a manager who has spent most of his career coaching academy teams and has probably never even applied for a managerial job at this level. 

Yes i am saying that,because the discussion is about if Monk could have kept us up,not comparing him to Thompson...I think it made sense to keep faith with him,after not dismissing him earlier...we are on a run now i believe on 5 defeats out of 6,and the one constant between the 2 we can agree on,are the players,  as GM used to say, 'i dont coach them to play like that'

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Yes i am saying that,because the discussion is about if Monk could have kept us up,not comparing him to Thompson...I think it made sense to keep faith with him,after not dismissing him earlier...we are on a run now i believe on 5 defeats out of 6,and the one constant between the 2 we can agree on,are the players,  as GM used to say, 'i dont coach them to play like that'

We've won 5 home games since he left. How many home games did he win? We are on a poor run now but have still done better under Thompson than Monk. 

We beat Bournemouth at home under Monk - Thompson managed the same away. Monk presided over a week which saw us lose to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe without scoring this season. 

Thompson is not the right man to take us forward yet still has a better record than the hapless Monk. Has anyone chosen to take him on yet? 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, alanharper said:

Yes, I'm sure that a manager who won 2 home games in a year, failed to manage a single point or goal from successive games against Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe, and persisted in playing Dawson whilst ignoring Westwood would have had us flying by now. 

I didnt see Gm on the pitch for those games,and as we allegedly know wages may not have been paid during that period,perhaps you might look further than Monk for those dire performances?......as to WW & SH its been well documented about alleged 'player power'.....

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We've won 5 home games since he left. How many home games did he win? We are on a poor run now but have still done better under Thompson than Monk. 

We beat Bournemouth at home under Monk - Thompson managed the same away. Monk presided over a week which saw us lose to Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe without scoring this season. 

Thompson is not the right man to take us forward yet still has a better record than the hapless Monk. Has anyone chosen to take him on yet? 

NO crowds,& no pressure,so not comparing like with like & we have currently lost 5 out of our last 6...

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

NO crowds,& no pressure,so not comparing like with like & we have currently lost 5 out of our last 6...

There were no crowds for Monk this season, he picked up less points than our academy coach.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There were no crowds for Monk this season, he picked up less points than our academy coach.

Your not comparing like with like(situationally) & its the players reaction to crowds,not GM....but thats fine,ime not going to convince you,and you likewise me....its all hypothetical we will never know

• Haha 1