This should be the absolute basic skeleton of our team selection now

38 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are at the stage now where we probably need to win half our games. For me, we have to go for it, at least trying to win those games, not just trying to hang in there. It’s time for Brown. Sure I’m not confident that he will deliver, butI know the others can’t  Last season he had far more assists than any of our lot, and that was in a rubbish Luton side. As I said, I’m far from certain that he will deliver, but I do know he has done it, so it has to be worth giving him a run in the side. At the moment we are sleep walking towards relegation. If we need to go three at the back, to get the wing backs high up the pitch, so be it. It also means we can get three in midfield, and one of them has to be Brown. At the moment, we can only score a goal from crosses, or set plays. That’s too limiting, we need to find extra ways of creating chances and Brown is the best man to do that, in my opinion

Brown or Hunt need to play. We can’t continue with the tactic of Bannan dropping deep to play one twos with the centre halves before passing it back to the keeper to hoof upfield. We need to play forward quicker and not get pressed back continually.

Oh for an Alex Lopez right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

Last Saturday really pi55ed me off. It wasn’t time to rest players and try players in different positions, it was a game to play your go to strongest team. That go to team has to include the players in the op in those positions.

When we are playing teams around us we should play our strongest team not rest players saying they are needed to play the better teams in the league. A win against Birmingham would have been a win than a win against Brentford. As it was we got neither, that was a shocking decision. 

2 hours ago, e6owl said:

Ultimately I still think our route to success is through set plays and attrition football. We need to do what most relegation sides do, soak up pressure, let our opponents exhaust ourselves, then get them on the break without being at so much risk. Paired with some smart corners and free kicks and you can nick a few goals and hopefully make it out. 

We tried that with Pulis - fair to say it wasn’t a great success.

1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Id drop Reach,play Penny there..

Hutch holding mid..

Lees Dunk Bonner

Rhodes Patty

Hutchinson has never been a midfield player, even less so as he’s got older - would play him instead of Dunkley.  As for Penney in place of Reach, words fail me.  Agree with you on Rhodes and Paterson.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Will keep shouting it from the rooftops whilst Thompson chops and changes, tinkers and alters the side in a bid to (in his own words) find the right formula

Thats what baffles me..."The formula"...

When you have a recipe , and 50% of the ingredients are crap...You at least put the best 50% into the dish first...

although once added it might still taste crap

Edited by asteener1867

3 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He's not though, he's got Reach and Harris and the attacking midfielder to support him,..

Completely different to how he's been on his own before

Come on dude, you don't have to be the talksport of posters all the time you know

Neither of those 2 are capable of regularly getting past the striker.

Guest Mcguigan
20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Harris on the right putting early crosses in

Reach on the left putting early crosses in

Paterson and Rhodes up front

Hutchinson centre half

It's getting to the point where anything other than these players in these positions is negligence, incompetence or deliberate sabotage

Decent opposition managers would neutralise that before we even kick off.

Paterson and Rhodes have little to no pace. So, the opposition play a higher line making it hard for Rhodes and Patterson to run in behind or be constantly off side and all the early crosses go straight through to the keeper.

I’ve no idea what the solution is though as we’ve such an unbalanced squad, lacking in real quality in key positions, it’s scary.

Guest Bulgaria

"Going for it" is just not in our DNA.

Until the club starts employing coaches/mangers that are not afraid of losing, then it will just continue as it is.

21 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Westwood

Lees Hutchinson Borner 

Harris Shaw Pelupessy Bannan Reach

Paterson Rhodes

That should be the team in my opinion when everyone is available. Not including Luongo in that because he’s never available. 

I agree with this.

Though I'd swap Lees and Hutchinson.

Have your better passers of the ball either side of Lees.