Neil Thompson on the state of play and if we can avoid relegation

b25lY21zOjg1Nzc2YzlkLWEzYWQtNGUzZi1hYTdiLTZhYzYxZGQ2YWU4YTpiMGQzMTM0MC1hMWEwLTQzZmQtOTVlNS0zNjQ1NjZmNGQ5YWU=.png

We've got to trust the ones that are here.

The attitude is good and we've just got to keep at it. We have to strive to get the right formula.

We'll freshen it up when we need to.

You've seen a lot of fight in the games.

The lads put a shift in at Brentford, but we were playing against a quality team who can punish you - and they did.

But we showed heart against Brentford and we can take that into Luton. We've got to do our job.

We are up against it whether we have injuries or not. I can't control that.

We have to go with what we have got in terms of injuries.

Defeats hurt us all. We don't go home and just forget it.

But we've got 15 games left and have a decent chance of getting out of this situation, still.

We've got a lot of tough games ahead of us.

We were disappointed and we know we didnt' do the right things the other night.

We talk about it, and then move on. And in the current climate we have to move on very quickly.

But in my point of view, if something needs saying then it gets said. No problem.

We've had three defeats on the bounce which is not great.

It's going to be a tough game against Luton. It's a tight pitch and they play aggressive. We need to match that.

We look at what they do but it's always tricky down there.

They always play at a high tempo. The game against Millwall the other night was a scrap.

There's areas we think we can exploit.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

It’s a real challenge for everybody. It’s real and we have to deal with it. Everyone, players and coaches have to search inside themselves and use every attribute they have to get a result

We have lost three on the bounce and we need a reaction.

Mistakes cost us the other night against a quality team.

Owlstalk Shop

Some people on here the other night said they are not trying etc which I think is gonads.

I certainly think they put the effort in but the quality is lacking particularly up front and in midfield but thats is down to poor signings!

No way can NT be held responsible for that,  he can only work with what he has got which we know is poor.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

The intensity we play at is dreadful it's so easy for the opposition they can play in second gear and have no problems

This is true, we are easy to play against.

Read in another thread that Thompson has referred to the fact Luton will be a tough game because of the tempo and intensity that they play at. Why can't we have a go at doing the same, yes we lack quality in certain areas but a lot of teams in that boat try to compensate by being high energy and fit and actively stop the opposition from playing their game.

As an example we have a player in Brown who although was injured at times last season, made 17 starts for Luton and made a decent contribution for them. He has been available and fit enough to be in our squad most of this season but has started just 3 league games and is rarely given more than 15 minutes. How, 7 months into the season, can he not be fit enough to start and give it an hour and us the chance of attacking teams from the start every now and again or be able to come on at half-time if we are losing and need more creativity. It's not as if we are a high-press, high intensity work rate team off the ball without him. 

I think the make up of our squad doesn't help though. Windass and Kachunga are perhaps more likely to be able to close down up the pitch than Rhodes & Paterson but they offer zero goal threat. Bannan seems to get through a lot of yards but  is not the type of player who will be able to press high, Reach is easy to play through which is more of an issue when he is picked to play more centrally. Pelupessy is a trier but often get caught wrong side when trying to put pressure on. Shaw likes to get stuck in but two red cards in little over a handful of starts shows his lack of experience and none of the central defenders have any pace which makes it difficult to try and push up the field. Luongo is effective as a midfield stopper but sadly for the first time in his career he is now injury prone.   

Guest wilyfox

Next two games are defining. If we can’t beat the Lutons and Rotherhams with two attempts each, we don’t deserve to stay up. We avenged the pathetic Wycombe defeat, now we must do so here too. There are games we simply won’t be good enough to get a result. If we don’t beat those two, who can we..?

I actually thought we started well against Brentford and were putting a shift in. Unfortunately, it capitulated after their lucky goal and as soon as we conceded, key players (probably subconsciously) drop their game 5% and we are like a shrivelling violet....

There are two key points made above: quality and effort e.g. Brentford are quality and Luton put in the effort. We all accept our quality is what it is. It isn’t what it has been, it isn’t going to get us promoted, but it should be sufficient to avoid relegation over a season. So, it comes down to this point about effort. 

For me, this is can again be broken down into two. Effort at the start of a game and effort after conceding. As I said above, I think we start most games ok. As per our defensive record, it is rare we are ripped apart and/or sides create an abundance of chances against us. They don’t. Our issue is simple - it is heart or stomach for a scrap. Once we suffer adversity: conceding, a sending off, even a period of pressure where we don’t score, our collective heart sinks and our effort levels go with it. We simply do not believe we can get a result and we.....well, we give up. We do not take the fight to our opponents. We do not take risks on the pitch or in our tactics. We do not RAISE our game to combat the situation, we LOWER our effort, knowing the game has gone.

This is criminal and unacceptable. Maybe this is DCs fault. However, I believe it is an issue with players and the senior players to boot, pardon the pun. Add to this, it doesn’t feel as if Thommo can affect this at present, we are stuffed. How can we possibly expect to avoid relegation, when we have no heart? I believe the quality is there and I think the team puts in the effort. Without this inner will to win or change the dynamic, our other weaknesses are also amplified. Players simply don’t believe in each other and look for someone else to create the spark or magic. They don’t take responsibility......

No heart I am afraid... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1