What players should have played internationally?/more?

Roland Nilsson. 

116 caps for Sweden during a period when they genuinely challenged for European and World Cup wins. 

I know it’s the complete opposite of what this thread is designed for but I think we should have a policy of mentioning Roland Nilsson in as many threads as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’ve only heard of Pelle there, know nothing about any of the others.

I did think he was talking rubbish at first but looking at that then maybe FF would have been good enough. Was never going to be selected though unless he was playing in the PL.. surprised Watford let him leave and come here at the time tbh

He definitely was not good enough. All those players are better than him

A championship level player who couldn't hold down places in either the Watford or our starting 11, but good enough to play for Italy.

Give me strength

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He definitely was not good enough. All those players are better than him

A championship level player who couldn't hold down places in either the Watford or our starting 11, but good enough to play for Italy.

Give me strength

Completely agree Immobile and Insigne both still star players at clubs challenging at the top of the league. I think Pelle at the time was scoring a lot in the premier league. 

FF was an excellent player for us at that time but not at the same level as the players Italy had to call on. 

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I did think he was talking rubbish at first but looking at that then maybe FF would have been good enough. Was never going to be selected though unless he was playing in the PL.. surprised Watford let him leave and come here at the time tbh

😂😂😂😂

Yeah they probably should have dropped Ciro Immobile for FF because FF had a decent 18 months of second tier football.

🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I'm sticking it by it. Forestieri was one of the Championships best players that season.

I watched Italy in that tournament and genuinely thought he was what they were missing.  

I'm not one for Blue and White tinted specs either. 

4 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Look, I watched the tournament,  they were terrible going forward,  no spark at all. Simone Zaza was hilariously bad. 

Look at the clubs they are from though. I hardly think they would have been looking at second division English tier for international footballers.

2 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I'm sticking it by it. Forestieri was one of the Championships best players that season.

I watched Italy in that tournament and genuinely thought he was what they were missing.  

I'm not one for Blue and White tinted specs either. 

For him to be on there radar he would have to be doing Messi- Ronaldo type work in the Championship and he wasn't doing that. 

• Like 2

On 26/02/2021 at 06:09, markg said:

Des Walker should have played more, definitely. How players like John Scales got called up to friendlies etc around Euro 96 is criminal. Pressman should have made some squads. Hard to argue that he should have been starting but certainly deserved to make some friendly squads.

I agree on Des Walker - it is true he was a better player in the 1988-92 era, but he was still a fine player for us. I think Adams, Campbell, Southgate playing ahead of him was fair enough, but it was perverse to see the likes of Scales, Ruddock, Howey, Bould, Unsworth and Colin Cooper getting caps ahead of him.

I think Pressman is a case of blue-and-white specs though. I guess it was because we were used to seeing Chris Woods in the team, having inexplicably kept out David Seaman for a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I agree on Des Walker - it is true he was a better player in the 1988-92 era, but he was still a fine player for us. I think Adams, Campbell, Southgate playing ahead of him was fair enough, but it was perverse to see the likes of Scales, Ruddock, Howey, Bould, Unsworth and Colin Cooper getting caps ahead of him.

I think Pressman is a case of blue-and-white specs though. I guess it was because we were used to seeing Chris Woods in the team, having inexplicably kept out David Seaman for a couple of years.

Yep, agree. There's an argument that England didn't see the best of Seaman, given that he didn't become an England regular until nearly 30.

Not sure if this was covered earlier- should Carlton have got more than 18 caps? I didn't pay as much attention after he left Wednesday but there's an argument that he was better than the likes of Steve Hodge by 1990 and that he was still playing at a good standard through the mid-90s...