What players should have played internationally?/more?

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Mark Bright.

Guaranteed 20 goals a season in the top flight. If he were playing now he’d have at least a dozen caps.

Also Kevin Pressman. 

Guaranteed 20 goals a season in the top flight? How many times did he do that in his career?

And when Bright was playing there was Shearer, Sheringham, Lineker, Beardsley, Ferdinand, Wright, Cole, Sutton, Fowler, Collymore and Dublin. You putting him in front of those?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

A simple answer to that one.

He was absolutely hopeless for England for 18 months under Graham Taylor and was a big part of our failure to qualify for the World Cup in 1994 with some absolutely terrible defending.

GT playing him at left back didn't do him any favours though

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

GT playing him at left back didn't do him any favours though

He was woeful at centre back for England as well in those qualifiers.

I have said it many times-  the Walker we had was a shadow of the player at Forest, where he was an unbelievable player.  At Wednesday, our defensive record got worse with him in it not better.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I have said it many times-  the Walker we had was a shadow of the player at Forest, where he was an unbelievable player.  At Wednesday, our defensive record got worse with him in it not better.

Hero worships Garry Monk and Adthe Nuhiu and moans about Des Walker.

Unbelievable Jeff 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

I know, I know!..but..

2016 Euros,  Italy didn't really have many options up front,  and FF had finished a good season with us .

He has dual nationality so would have qualified for them

I remember watching one game and thinking he would definitely have been a good option off the bench. 

Argentina..yeah possibly a few forward players ahead of him there...

Erm... 

Screenshot_20210226_093727.jpg.a0ee20c89e5890b5c45d3a3d5bb75928.jpg

Bright - Had a big queue infront of him though. 

Waddle - no explanation required

Walker - Experience - yes had a bad spell under Taylor probably put pay to his caps

Pressman - should of atleast had a few caps as a min

Hodge - as per big kev

Simek - only had 5 caps for the US

Hirst - the great unknown if only the boy wonder had of stopped fit

Chapman - for his returns at that level surely would of been worth a punt

Pearson - For leadership skills alone, did he have enough to deliver at that level? 

Carbone - Surely good enough

Di Canio - as above (though his antics on his travels might have something to do with it, would of been fun though)

Zico - 1 cap against the Saudi's and a trip on concorde - would of been interesting to see how many caps he would of had if he had a random irish relative come out the woodwork when Big Jack was in charge 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Give over! Never played more than 2 or 3 games in the top flight.

Lee Chapman much I love the fella was never an international player.

Regular goalscorer and far worse players have won international caps fir England, don't forget Arsenal paid £500K for him when that was a lot of money. 

His record stands upto say John Fashanu who won England caps. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Guaranteed 20 goals a season in the top flight? How many times did he do that in his career?

And when Bright was playing there was Shearer, Sheringham, Lineker, Beardsley, Ferdinand, Wright, Cole, Sutton, Fowler, Collymore and Dublin. You putting him in front of those?

Half of those are a generation later to be fair, and he was  considered at one point due to injuries to those in front. 

Certainly as effective as Dublin and Sutton in his role. 

The problem for many players the England squad was pretty much settled for most of  the period 86-90.

Shilton, Lineker, Pearce, Butcher Beardsley Steven Barnes etc it was very difficult to break into that clique no matter how well you played domestically unless you were at Man Utd, Everton or Arsenal. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Half of those are a generation later to be fair, and he was  considered at one point due to injuries to those in front. 

Certainly as effective as Dublin and Sutton in his role. 

The problem for many players the England squad was pretty much settled for most of  the period 86-90.

Shilton, Lineker, Pearce, Butcher Beardsley Steven Barnes etc it was very difficult to break into that clique no matter how well you played domestically unless you were at Man Utd, Everton or Arsenal. 

He joined us in 1992 and they were all playing in 92 or within a couple of years.

With the service that was coming from Waddle at that time any decent striker would have scored goals at Wednesday.

What year do you think he should have been picked? Sutton and Dublin didn’t get a look in either but they’d have been ahead of Bright. Sutton’s a premier league winner and broke the British transfer record when he went to Blackburn

16 hours ago, mcmigo said:

We conceded something like 3 goals more the season he signed and similar the season after......Not to mention the likes of Pearson, Worthington, Nilsson were eventually replaced with the likes of Andy Pearce!

The 1st time he got a decent partner in Thome and we signed Hinchcliffe I’m sure we had something like the 4th, 5th best defensive record 98/99 only conceding around 42 goals.

Big Ron said in his book he gets in his best 11 and he should have gone to either euro 96 or France 98

Guest LondonOwl313
18 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Erm... 

Screenshot_20210226_093727.jpg.a0ee20c89e5890b5c45d3a3d5bb75928.jpg

I’ve only heard of Pelle there, know nothing about any of the others.

I did think he was talking rubbish at first but looking at that then maybe FF would have been good enough. Was never going to be selected though unless he was playing in the PL.. surprised Watford let him leave and come here at the time tbh

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, dani_armo said:

We conceded something like 3 goals more the season he signed and similar the season after......Not to mention the likes of Pearson, Worthington, Nilsson were eventually replaced with the likes of Andy Pearce!

The 1st time he got a decent partner in Thome and we signed Hinchcliffe I’m sure we had something like the 4th, 5th best defensive record 98/99 only conceding around 42 goals.

Big Ron said in his book he gets in his best 11 and he should have gone to either euro 96 or France 98

By the time of France 98 we had Adams, Campbell, Southgate and Ferdinand so not sure who we’d have dropped to take an ageing Des Walker