Tactics

Would love to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room before the game and at half time to listen to what our actual tactics last night were. I can’t understand why we would play Rhodes up top on his own against 4 big defenders that are all good in the air and then play long balls into him and expecting him to win anything! We never play to his strengths. 

Bannan and Hutchinson slow the game down too much, why can’t be be positive when ball comes into feet and look to move the ball on quickly instead of taking 5 touches and then passing sideways?!! We never take advantage of the other teams players being out of position and push 3 or 4 players forward to support the attack.

The way we try to attack teams is baffling there’s no wonder we can’t score 

My first post by the way...hi all 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bigdigits said:

Would love to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room before the game and at half time to listen to what our actual tactics last night were. I can’t understand why we would play Rhodes up top on his own against 4 big defenders that are all good in the air and then play long balls into him and expecting him to win anything! We never play to his strengths. 

Bannan and Hutchinson slow the game down too much, why can’t be be positive when ball comes into feet and look to move the ball on quickly instead of taking 5 touches and then passing sideways?!! We never take advantage of the other teams players being out of position and push 3 or 4 players forward to support the attack.

Fair points... But what holds us back is that we haven't any god damn, mother tuckers forwards... Just saying. 

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fair points... But what holds us back is that we haven't any god damn, mother tuckers forwards... Just saying. 

Totally agree.

Just be good to see wingers and midfielders getting closer to what we have got up front and actually running beyond them. We seem to play in front of defences and midfielders and then can’t break them down, we end up going backwards to Westwood who kicks long and then we lose the ball. Then repeat 50 times every game 

6 minutes ago, bigdigits said:

Totally agree.

Just be good to see wingers and midfielders getting closer to what we have got up front and actually running beyond them. We seem to play in front of defences and midfielders and then can’t break them down, we end up going backwards to Westwood who kicks long and then we lose the ball. Then repeat 50 times every game 

Yep very one dimensional, we should be mixing it up but with no quality up front the ball quickly finds its way back to the final third as they don't have the ability to put pressure on the defence.   When was the last time an attacker ran with the ball beat one or two and unleashed a belter?  A thing of the past. 

Edited by Inspector Lestrade
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigdigits said:

You can tell you’re new here as you think we have tactics.

• Haha 1