Who Is On The Verge Of The England Squad ?

Kopparberg

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't think any of the players you mention regarding dual nationality are any great loss and a bit much to pin that all on Southgate, should he pick them just in case even though others are performing better?

Lingard is on form and has done it before for England. He wouldn't get in my team but Southgate said he only got in by the skin of his teeth and if it wasn't for injuries he probably wouldn't have made it. 

Antonio is good but is 30 years old and is injury prone, I don't see him as a regular England international.

Alexander Arnold has been awful at times this season, a shadow of the player he was last season, not many seem that surprised or disappointed that he is out of the side, it is up to him to earn his place back.

Dier I agree, with, I hope he doesn't get anywhere hear the team but it is not like we are flush with on form top centre-backs unfortunately. It isn't very often that any England manager makes all the decisions that the public agree with but to say that this squad that he is picked is a joke and base that on what you have just said is more of a joke to me. 

Southgate didn’t even speak to McTominay on the phone when communicating with him about international football. McTominay’s family are on record as saying Southgate sent him a text. That is shocking management whatever way you look at it and it kind of proves Ellis’s point.

Scotland sent people to Scott’s training camp to meet him including the manager at the time Alex McLeish, Alex Ferguson naturally recommended Scotland, Mourinho his manager at the time was recommending Scotland, and McTominay’s family were all wanting him to play for Scotland. Thankfully he made the right choice

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Southgate didn’t even speak to McTominay on the phone when communicating with him about international football. McTominay’s family are on record as saying Southgate sent him a text. That is shocking management whatever way you look at it and it kind of proves Ellis’s point.

Scotland sent people to Scott’s training camp to meet him including the manager at the time Alex McLeish, Alex Ferguson naturally recommended Scotland, Mourinho his manager at the time was recommending Scotland, and McTominay’s family were all wanting him to play for Scotland. Thankfully he made the right choice

Exactly, it obviously took a lot of work on Scotland’s part to convince him so I would imagine we were his first choice. Gareth seems to not give a damn while he picks players who have tried and failed out of loyalty. McTominay is a good player, box to box midfielder. I could imagine he would have eventually taken Henderson’s place.

End of the day we England is quite ethnically diverse these days and lots of players can represent multiple nations. There are already a limited amount of players eligible for selection playing first team football so you need to ensure that you have a big pool by picking your strongest team and the rest of the squad should be developmental, to tie players down and give younger players a chance to show how they play with our best players. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 07:06, edinburghowl said:

McTominay made the right decision because he wouldn't get a regular game for England. In years to come we wont look back and think we wish hadn't missed out on him. He is a decent player but not better than what England have in midfield. Scotland are that bad he has to play out of position for them even though he would be your best midfielder.  

On 20/03/2021 at 07:06, edinburghowl said:

I know of an incidence where a player had dual nationality - he was/is a very highly rated youth team player

A coach at his club also does work for the FA with the England younger age groups so naturally he recommended that England take a look

Nothing happened

Now, i also know Scotland are very committed to checking all players with dual nationality who qualify for them - a bit like Ireland in the 90's - but at junior levels not just full international

Malky Mackay personally phoned the player and his parents - he also watched him play and met him and his parents personally 

The player did play for Scotland - at 16 he was playing in u19 matches and getting good reviews

A year later england wanted to send a scout to watch him...

England tend to pick from the players at the top academies - and we are losing players - good players because the fa/englandare too f*cking lazy and/or intransigient to look at players outside those clubs

Meanwhile the other nations are hoovering them up

Edited by scram
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, scram said:

I know of an incidence where a player had dual nationality - he was/is a very highly rated youth team player

A coach at his club also does work for the FA with the England younger age groups so naturally he recommended that England take a look

Nothing happened

Now, i also know Scotland are very committed to checking all players with dual nationality who qualify for them - a bit like Ireland in the 90's - but at junior levels not just full international

Malky Mackay personally phoned the player and his parents - he also watched him play and met him and his parents personally 

The player did play for Scotland - at 16 he was playing in u19 matches and getting good reviews

England tend to pick from the players at the top academies - and we are losing players - good players because the fa/englandare too f*cking lazy and/or intransigient to look at players outside those clubs

It's typical FA snobbery which has held us back throughout history. These players might appear not England level right now but like Zaha has shown players improve. We do need to be more pro active with the whole nationality thing-Bale was eligible for England at one point!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

McTominay made the right decision because he wouldn't get a regular game for England. In years to come we wont look back and think we wish hadn't missed out on him. He is a decent player but not better than what England have in midfield. Scotland are that bad he has to play out of position for them even though he would be your best midfielder.  

McTominay would have got capped for England, maybe not a regular, I agree, but looking at your squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers and I wouldn’t have Phillips, Ward-Prowse, or Rice instead of McTominay. They are decent players but I wouldn’t swap him for any of them.

He has the versatility to play at right back and that’s handy for us because it’s a weak area in our team. We don’t really have a decent full time right back. Liam Palmer, Stephen O’Donnell and Callum Paterson are all average compared to other players in our squad. I think Tierney will probably be shifted to right back for the Euros. McGinn is our best midfielder BTW.

1 hour ago, scram said:

Nothing happened

Interesting example that mate, it’s pretty poor and astonishing given the resources and finance you have at your disposal. Surely you’ve got plenty of people that could be doing that?

Why do they solely focus on those top academies? It seems very short sighted.

There was a thing when the fa set up the hopelessly flawed eppp - someting like "the best playing with and against the best"

The whole eppp was designed to eliminate good academies at "lesser" clubs and the tariff system totally allowed bigger clubs to steal the talent from other clubs 

All any club had to do was offer the tariff fee and the player could leave - previously it had tpo be an agreed fee between the clubs and if not then a tribunal would decide

The example that most illustrates this is that Oxlade-C moved to Arsenal from Saints for around £12m under the old system - under tariffs of the epp he would have cost around £175k - plus add-ons

The football governance for the richest league in the world is disgraceful

Edited by scram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1