Yorkshiremans

image.png.ec6b8c4bae95207d80bfd2c8c3585d7a.png

So the Yorkshiremans has gone.

Never to return.

As part of the doing up of town the major building work next door and demolishing then rebuilding the old co-op. Unfortunately has meant  scaffold through the Yorkshireman which will compromise the structural integrity of it. 

Which seems a bit convenient to me. But there we go.

It brings a feeling of emptiness to the stomach. As these things do.

This is another "forever building" of me memory maps erased. The brickwork, it's shape, the way the windows sit, are etched in the mind. And always will be, though those images will distort slightly over time I'm sure.

Become willowy, like a heat mirage.

It will live on, in our heads anyroad . The Architecture of our surroundings sits deep in our own personal and shared psychologies.

But it's more than the bricks and mortar, though they represent the maps of the memories, the anchors of the memories. The physical triggers of associations . But it's within the name that the experiences are saved. Not the bricks, for the future generations at least.

It's in the immaterial world that floats around us an within us, that it will live on. In shared memory and recollection.

My mates dad met his date in there at the early days of the 1960'. Some 20 years later their lad would be down there himself. My own first appearance there was in the early '90s, a comfortable place that came with none of the threat of violence that seemed seep out from the seams and gaps of towns other boozers.

image.png.bc0117ee0d1a282462d696b2d309f8c6.png

Tucked away off the beaten track ,a haven for rockers. loud and lively but with the relaxed atmosphere of a local.

It's genuinely the only boozer in town I have ever been fully able to be relaxed it. Never on edge.

It was repurposed for a time as a dance place and they changed the name.  But always it lived in minds as a rockers boozer. Hopes that it would be again. And it was. Reborn as Yorkshireman Rock Bar a few years back. But still and always The Yorkshiremans.

And now it's closed. It's going. The bricks may be taken down, the slates may come from the roof.  It may come down, or be replaced with a souless glass and chrome shell. Who knows.

But it will live. In that fluid , drifting world of our minds eye. A place where people laughed, and danced, and chatted. Where couples met and some marriages made.

It will live forever in the consciousness of those who went there. Embedded in our psyche, our associations and memories and eventually when we're gone it will live on in myth and legend through the snippets and snapshots of lives saved forever in that other world of the Internet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 25/02/2021 at 19:24, theowlsman said:

As a rocker, as a young man, that was my main drinking hole in town.

Sad news.

Great boozer. 

Like you say, sad news.

Been a boozer on that site since 1790

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

It was funny, I used to go in quite regularly in the 70's...Great pint and atmosphere, an unusually quiet pub at times, to say where it was located, quiet as in..busy but not loud.

Hadn't been in for years when me and the wife were in town and fancied a drink..I said I know somewhere quiet...Walked into The Yorkshireman and it was like that Blue Oyster bar in police Academy!!!!....

• Haha 2

On 25/02/2021 at 19:24, theowlsman said:

As a rocker, as a young man, that was my main drinking hole in town.

Sad news.

me too mate......and then down to rebels. The best of days.......

• Like 1

Whenever I see yorkshiremans it reminds me of Terrorvision playing there the day before supporting Def Leppard at Don Valley.

So many good rock pubs gone. Sportsman, Yorkshiremans. And even Rainbow, which I never went to as I think I was too old. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Yeah , i know they have live bands on at night in the church house , any idea if they have a DJ Saturday afternoons like the Yorkhireman used to ?

I'm not sure it is a regular thing on Saturday afternoons, but they do have DJs on at various times.

There's always good music on in there at pretty much any time though.