I'm so pleased

Guest Grandad

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is great work mate- thank you

Now we need that putting into a list  of 

Date  - Player - Transfer fee paid

Also if it's a loan or transfer

But, back to our previous exchange (and accepting that finding the murky stuff out is probably beyond us), a poor record in the transfer market is hardly unusual. Indeed it can (would) be seen as evidenced of him chucking money at it....

Now, if the fact some of those inexplicable signings were from specific agencies and were 'parked' here could be ascertained, then we'd be talking.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is great work mate- thank you

Now we need that putting into a list  of 

Date  - Player - Transfer fee paid

Also if it's a loan or transfer

I'll leave you to it! 😂

I know what you mean, the fees would put meat on the bones, I just saw your previous post and remembered I had put this list together a while ago in a different thread discussing how many successful or unsuccessful signings we have made.

6 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

When you read it like that its frankly astonishing how many players we have signed

What is more astonishing is the players we have sold and received money for.

A much shorter list for sure! 

7 minutes ago, wmb said:

The worrying thing is I reckon out of that list about a 1/3 (Maybe a little less) have contributed anything of note to the club. The rest have either spent all of their time injured, been useless or not even made an appearance for the first team.

That was the discussion we were having when I originally posted the list. 

Chansiri had said something about the successful transfers that Paixao had been involved in but when you look at the overall picture there have been far too many unsuccessful ones, regardless of who has providing the advice. 

It was also noted that a fair few of the players that could be considered as an overall success during Chansiri's time were either already at the club when he took over or were signed in his early days when there was a defined transfer committee in place.

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

I believe there will always be a Sheffield Wednesday, regardless of what Chansiri can do to us.

Sheffield Wednesday isn't about Chansiri, and it isnt even about the incorporation papers from 1867 (lets pretend they are from 1867 for the purposes of this)

Sheffield Wednesday is about you and me, all of the other fans, our families, and grandparents (who were probably responsible for cursing us with this love) and it WILL survive in whatever shape or form that might take.

If Chansiri folded us - it would just be another chapter in the book

Which is looking more realistic by the day.

I for one would fully back it

There be factors that have happened in the pst

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Youve done nothing BUT back Chansiri

Right back to your regurgitating supposed statements made by David Hirst when all the furore kicked off over George Hirsts contract

Statements that have never been corroborated.

I certainly started by backing Chansiri. He came and poured a lot of wanted money into the club. But he failed1 I believe thatany man should be given a chance. I was prepared to back him untIL he proved otherwise. \tjjen I withdrew my backing In other words I changed my mind Like many others, I believe he is doing the club a disservice by staying, but don't forget that he wasintroduced to the 'saviour' of SW, a certain Milan Mandaric, who obviously knew enough to get us  out of trouble with the Taxman, then got shut.

I may only have one good ear, but when you are sat at a table in the restaurant in the South s|tand, and one of your favourite ex-players comes along, you start chatting.Since his son, the afore mentioned Geo. Hirst, was doing well in the juniors, I personally asked David when his son would be signing proffesional forms. It was David himself, who replied 'Never, if I have my way', or wordss to that effect. |I would have loved George to sign for us. I think we could have made better use of him than happened. It didn't , and doesn't sit well with me, and I take no pride in 'regurgitating what was unpleasant truth

As for the present predicament we find ourselves in, I cannot and will not back Chansiriand his ideas, but it is my considered opinion afetr watching Wednesday for over SEVENTY years, that the current crop of players are not pulling their weight.I have respect for a man who tries and fails, but not for one who fails to try

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That was the discussion we were having when I originally posted the list. 

Chansiri had said something about the successful transfers that Paixao had been involved in but when you look at the overall picture there have been far too many unsuccessful ones, regardless of who has providing the advice. 

It was also noted that a fair few of the players that could be considered as an overall success during Chansiri's time were either already at the club when he took over or were signed in his early days when there was a defined transfer committee in place.

It’s not just the poor initial purchases is it. It’s the subsequent failures to manage the squad, loan or sell at the right time ie the basics of a football club. We’ve spent all that money but how many have we got a return on? How much have we saved by loaning players? How much have we brought in by selling promising young players? You literally couldn’t make it up. 

2 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

It’s not just the poor initial purchases is it. It’s the subsequent failures to manage the squad, loan or sell at the right time ie the basics of a football club. We’ve spent all that money but how many have we got a return on? How much have we saved by loaning players? How much have we brought in by selling promising young players? You literally couldn’t make it up. 

Absolutely. That's where I lost my faith in it. Initially we signed made our best signings with long  -3 or 4 year contracts - Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper, and the younger players with potential like Joao and Matias also got long contracts.

Fair enough I thought, as the stated plan was to go and try and get promoted in two years - sounded reasonable - have a two year crack at it at some expense but if it fails we can then sell the good players we have contracted rather than lose them for nothing, recoup the losses, have a season or two to refresh and go again.

The sales never happened and never looked like happening, assets wore out their contracts and we are still chasing losses now. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely. That's where I lost my faith in it. Initially we signed made our best signings with long  -3 or 4 year contracts - Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper, and the younger players with potential like Joao and Matias also got long contracts.

Fair enough I thought, as the stated plan was to go and try and get promoted in two years - sounded reasonable - have a two year crack at it at some expense but if it fails we can then sell the good players we have contracted rather than lose them for nothing, recoup the losses, have a season or two to refresh and go again.

The sales never happened and never looked like happening, assets wore out their contracts and we are still chasing losses now. 

And then in recent years we’ve let / are letting all players with resale value wind down their contract and leave for free. The incompetence is staggering. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

TIME OUT 

Can everyone just take 5 minutes here and remember that we're all Wednesday fans, we all want the same thing?

We're in a really crappy situation and people have differing views on how to solve the situation

There's no reason whatsoever for anyone to be bitching at each other, or having a pop and falling out

If this were a conversation in a pub over a pint we'd all be having a laugh and being sound with each other

So be sound with each other on here too.

No more personal digs - let's just be reyt with each other ffs

YOU REMIND ME OF A MATE OF MINE WHO WENT ON TO BE A SENIOR COPPER.

HE WAS 6’ 5” BUT WHENEVER A FIGHT USED TO KICK OFF IN THE WOODTHORPE HE USED TO SHOUT “ACT NORMAL, ACT NORMAL, ACT NORMAL!!!!!”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

HE WAS 6’ 5” BUT WHENEVER A FIGHT USED TO KICK OFF IN THE WOODTHORPE HE USED TO SHOUT “ACT NORMAL, ACT NORMAL, ACT NORMAL!!!!!”

It's a bit like a rough pub in here at the moment

lol

Bottles and glasses flying everywhere

Chansiri defence committee windmillinig round the place shouting "LEAVE HIM ALONE !!! HE'S PUT ALL HIS OWN MONEY IN!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

59 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

But, back to our previous exchange (and accepting that finding the murky stuff out is probably beyond us), a poor record in the transfer market is hardly unusual. Indeed it can (would) be seen as evidenced of him chucking money at it....

Now, if the fact some of those inexplicable signings were from specific agencies and were 'parked' here could be ascertained, then we'd be talking.

A number of poor transfers over time is not unusual, happens at most clubs. Looking at the amount of transfers in that period and the high number that haven't worked out at all is a bit alarming, even without digging deeper into who was involved in them and why they ended up here. 

9 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Surely a rare occurrence? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

This is your website and you run it how you chose. I personally think it’s hyperbole and very distasteful to use analogies about domestic violence (and indeed WW2 for other posters) to stir up how people view an argument about a man who, like it or not, legally owns our club. The debate on all sides is about how best to remove the chairman for the betterment of the club. Painting people who thinks there might be at least a point in trying to remove him in a less disruptive way as domestic abuse apologists, war appeasers etc, might make for a fun sound bite but ultimately doesn’t advance the debate at all. 
But as I say, it’s your website. In the way Sheffield Wednesday is Chansiri’s club. I doubt my reasoned comments will change your mind. Do you think protesting will change Chansiri’s mind?

Brilliant post and very well put. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The players have got us enough points to be fighting against relegation. They are not totally blameless and plenty have rightly been critical of their performances.

However:

• It didn't take a genius to work out that with Fletcher and Nuhiu leaving we needed a target man to be effective with the players we have and the way we play. The club failed to deliver on absolute squad priority in 2 transfer windows.
  • The owner backed a manager who should have been shown the door last season. He gave him the coaching staff he wanted - he sacked him 12 games into the season.
  • His next appointment was seen as a bit dull and pragmatic but should have got better results. This didn't happen and he was sacked in little over a month
  •  Curiously, that manager was also allowed to bring in his choice of staff. He chose as his assistant, a prominent scout of Celtic football club with little or no recent coaching experience. Within a few weeks our young prospect is signing a deal with Celtic FC.
  • the club started the season on minus 12 points - due entirely to the way the club is run
  • the points deduction made us an unattractive prospect for new signings
  • we have now gone around 12 games in the midst of a relegation battle with an academy coach with no managerial experience at this level in charge, hardly his fault he has been left to hold the fort. The owner has not backed him by giving any assurance over the job but has also taken over 2 months and counting to try and find someone to do the job on a permanent basis.
  • Arguably our best performers in the past couple of months have been a goalkeeper frozen out by the manager that the owner gave his backing to and a player we allowed to leave on a free transfer in the summer.
  • players are being paid in a strange roundabout way which must be somewhat disconcerting. 

That's just a few of the mitigating factors that the mismanagement of the club has contributed to in relation to affecting on-field performance without even getting into the off-field matters. 

A very good list, but there is another significant item to add to it.

• Half of the squad are out of contract at the end of the current season. By now, those that the club have no desire to retain beyond that will be aware of this, whether they have been told formally or not. Given the overall circumstances, some of them may want to leave regardless. Even if they are all entirely upstanding (and some may not be), the effects on their motivation are the routine consequences of human nature and completely obvious. In some cases, this might also cost the club a potential transfer fee that might otherwise have been achieved, thus further damaging the club's future prospects.

We can go on all we want about the chairman, the caretaker manager, the referees, the bad luck etc but I’m sorry, that performance last night from a group of well paid professional footballers, not the first time either this season, was totally and utterly unacceptable.

This is a division of very fine margins, top to bottom, a coupon killing league but you get absolutely fuccck all if you fail to turn up and that is what happened last night.  Again!!!!

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

A very good list, but there is another significant item to add to it.

• Half of the squad are out of contract at the end of the current season. By now, those that the club have no desire to retain beyond that will be aware of this, whether they have been told formally or not. Given the overall circumstances, some of them may want to leave regardless. Even if they are all entirely upstanding (and some may not be), the effects on their motivation are the routine consequences of human nature and completely obvious. In some cases, this might also cost the club a potential transfer fee that might otherwise have been achieved, thus further damaging the club's future prospects.

Similar situation to last season. Lots of clubs have players out of contract as they come towards the end of each season but I guess in our case the situation is somewhat more pronounced in that the short term prospects of the club don't appear to offer much and so playing for a renewed contract doesn't hold that much appeal. I suppose the players should have a sense of pride and also the belief that playing well may put them in the shop window for other clubs to pick them up in the summer but like you say with the rest of the backdrop of the club, motivation might well not be optimal to say the least.