41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

0_GettyImages-1228881794.jpg

Time to put this to bed with a bit of honest chat

Adam Reach

Left winger 
Most effective when putting in early crosses

Doesn't / can't tackle
Will never tackle and never be able to tackle

Plays horrifically bad in any other position to the point where it's just filling a shirt with him if he's selected to play anywhere other than the left wing

He should never ever be selected to play in any other position than left wing/midfield - if he can't play there he shouldn't be picked to play full stop

Now...

If you're a fan who knows the above and slags Reach off when he plays in any other position, or slags him off because he doesn't tackle then YOU are the problem not Adam Reach

Also

Adam Reach doesn't select himself. If he's being selected in other positions over other players by managers then that's an issue with the managers tactics/selection and not the player

AND

If you think Adam Reach is suddenly going to tackle hard, or you think Adam Reach might suddenly turn into some amazing central midfielder then YOU are the problem not Adam Reach

It's not all about the tackling though, he simply isn't aggressive when in possession of the ball. When was the last time he actually ran at player to get past him, draw a foul? Go to meet the ball in front of a marker, again to take a kick. Its as though his first thought when he has the ball or when the ball is coming to him is to get rid as quickly as possible. Harris has his faults as a winger but at least he'll have a go .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Beard said:

Harris has his faults as a winger but at least he'll have a go .

Which is why I rarely slate Harris. It won’t come off a lot of the time, but he works bloody hard and is always positive 

33 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Bye Reach, don’t let the door hit your lazy backside on the way out. Can’t wait to see you tearing it up for a Norwich lol feel free to bump this post 

Nailed on for Stoke

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Reach 194 games, 19 goals, 30 assists

Harris 70 games, 3 goals, 7 assists

Bannan 223 games, 11 goals, 35 assists

Harris isn’t really comparable. 

Bannan, who is hero worshipped has produced less than a player who’s been played at LB, RB, LWB, RWB, LW, RW, CM, CF. Bannan also gets to take all the set plays. 

A goal/assist every 4 games is not a bad return. I only wish we had two of him. 

Agreed

• Like 1

Last 50 games. Thought this was interesting 

That’s 34 out of 50 games where he’s played LW/RW/Attacking midfield right/Attacking midfield left 

Any good modern day winger should be comfortable in any of those positions, and be able to play on both flanks. There’s hardly a huge contrast between them. 

AF1C8B47-3D2A-4840-A1A8-AF1E7D3F53ED.jpeg

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Any good modern day winger should be comfortable in any of those positions, and be able to play on both flanks.  

I give up

You just can't possibly debate when things like this are being posted

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

That’s 34 out of 50 games where he’s played LW/RW/Attacking midfield right/Attacking midfield left 

Any good modern day winger should be comfortable in any of those positions, and be able to play on both flanks. There’s hardly a huge contrast between them. 

Conversely, how does any player gather momentum or form when played 11 separate positions in last 50 games.

3-4 I’d agree he’s much of a muchness, but 11???   

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

No that must be wrong. He can only play as a left winger.

lol

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I give up

You just can't possibly debate when things like this are being posted

Good. Because I’m wouldn’t be interested in debating anyway if you miss glaringly obvious facts 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Conversely, how does any player gather momentum or form when played 11 separate positions in last 50 games.

10/14 games out of the last 50 where he's played in his natural position

Imagine if managers did the same with Liam Palmer or Joey Pelupessy too?

You'd 100% have fans slagging Pelupessy off for being rubbish at left back or up front

To debate with those still slagging Reach off is tantamount to bullying in my opinion as they're clearly deficient in the most obvious areas

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Do you honestly think there’s much of a difference between LM/RM/ALM/ARM? 

I’d be interested in hearing how the job roles differ between those positions 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m not sure if you misunderstood my post. 3/4 of those positions are much of a muchness is what I said. Then you quote me 4 positions that are much of a muchness. 

Let’s just agree to agree!! Those 4 are much of a muchness.

How about Forward right to Defender left. Do you think Fox be any good as our centerforward or does he just not have the right attributes? 

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

10/14 games out of the last 50 where he's played in his natural position

Imagine if managers did the same with Liam Palmer or Joey Pelupessy too?

You'd 100% have fans slagging Pelupessy off for being rubbish at left back or up front

To debate with those still slagging Reach off is tantamount to bullying in my opinion as they're clearly deficient in the most obvious areas

Imagine if Bannan was asked to play upfront, or right back? Or Hutch, Or Lees Or anyone??? 

Proof will be in pudding when he leaves and flourishes. Our fan base are at times the easiest to con I’ve ever seen. Put in a meaty tackle, run about quickly and you’re a good player. Create more chances, score more goals than any other midfielder at the club and you’re a fraud of a footballer.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Adam Reach CAN play on the right side of midfield

He CAN play right winger

He can also play central midfield

He could even play left wingback

Or even in central defence

Or even in goal or as a striker

Of course he can

But he can't play AS WELL in those positions as he can on the left

So you choosing to attack the player when it's clear to everyone that he can't only really play well on the left, but managers play him in other positions is totally misdirected frustration

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Imagine if Bannan was asked to play upfront, or right back? Or Hutch, Or Lees Or anyone??? 

Proof will be in pudding when he leaves and flourishes. Our fan base are at times the easiest to con I’ve ever seen. Put in a meaty tackle, run about quickly and you’re a good player. Create more chances, score more goals than any other midfielder at the club and you’re a fraud of a footballer.

Andy Booth over Gerald Sibon

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Andy Booth over Gerald Sibon

You’re right, it’s been the same for years. But their eyes don’t lie, they know more than the facts or stats. 

I can’t imagine how few goals from open play we’d have scored this last 4-5 years you take away Adam reaches assists.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Adam Reach CAN play on the right side of midfield

He CAN play right winger

He can also play central midfield

He could even play left wingback

Or even in central defence

Or even in goal or as a striker

Of course he can

But he can't play AS WELL in those positions as he can on the left

So you choosing to attack the player when it's clear to everyone that he can't only really play well on the left, but managers play him in other positions is totally misdirected frustration

I agree with all that, but the point I’m making is a good winger at this level should be able to transition between both flanks with relative ease

RW or LW, you’re still attacking the full back and whipping a cross in, it doesn’t get any more technical than that 

But I know what you’re saying. LW and nothing else, but I feel we should expect more 

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

When you are so heavily reliant on your left foot, yes, there's a significant difference. Why choose to play someone in different positions that they are not comfortable or effective in?

Just now, Philb125 said:

You’re right, it’s been the same for years. But their eyes don’t lie, they know more than the facts or stats. 

I can’t imagine how few goals from open play we’d have scored this last 4-5 years you take away Adam reaches assists.

I  still remember when (as usual) our fans heard something coming out of the club, took it as gospel, and started repeating it and still repeat it to this day as if they'd come up with it themselves, as if they weren't just repeating something that had come out of the club, and as if it were true

The thing they heard/repeat?

DiCanio and Carbone were 'fancy dan' footballers that we didn't want/need

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

When you are so heavily reliant on your left foot, yes, there's a significant difference. Why choose to play someone in different positions that they are not comfortable or effective in?

I rest my case. So playing him LW on the basis he ‘may’ whip in a good cross once every 5 games, but not carry out the rest of what’s required for that position, isn’t enough for me, and is why I’ll be happy to see him leave