Adam Reach

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I agree with all that, but the point I’m making is a good winger at this level should be able to transition between both flanks with relative ease

RW or LW, you’re still attacking the full back and whipping a cross in, it doesn’t get any more technical than that 

But I know what you’re saying. LW and nothing else, but I feel we should expect more 

Despite his poor form, despite playing in more positions than any other player he contributes with an assist or goal every 4 games on average. That’s more than Todd Cantrell at Norwich. Out of interest how many goals/assists would he need for you to not expect more? 

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Imagine if Bannan was asked to play upfront, or right back? Or Hutch, Or Lees Or anyone??? 

Proof will be in pudding when he leaves and flourishes. Our fan base are at times the easiest to con I’ve ever seen. Put in a meaty tackle, run about quickly and you’re a good player. Create more chances, score more goals than any other midfielder at the club and you’re a fraud of a footballer.

I remember some (thankfully a minority) being critical of Waddle for not tracking back or getting stuck in. 

Yeah, get a 33-year old who was one of the most naturally gifted attacking players this country had produced around that time to waste his energy doing a diligent marking job. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I remember some (thankfully a minority) being critical of Waddle for not tracking back or getting stuck in. 

Yeah, get a 33-year old who was one of the most naturally gifted attacking players this country had produced around that time to waste his energy doing a diligent marking job. 

But Reach isn’t naturally gifted, and apart from a decent left peg, what other attributes does he bring to the team? Because he seems to severely lack in every other department

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Pure laze from him, couldn’t be bothered to tuck himself in either!!  Body language shows he didn’t care! That’s what I’d expect to hear on here if he played nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I rest my case. So playing him LW on the basis he ‘may’ whip in a good cross once every 5 games, but not carry out the rest of what’s required for that position, isn’t enough for me, and is why I’ll be happy to see him leave 

Most of our goals and chances created from open play come from Bannan or Reach, and often both, being heavily involved in the build up - there's no 'may' about it, they are our most productive outlets. Reach is most effective at this when positioned wide left. 

Playing him anywhere else, taking away his main attributes and expecting him to do things that he isn't very good at is not going to have much long term success. 

In the season we reached the play-offs for the second time (but lost to Huddersfield) Adam Reach played 41 times for us, scoring 3 goals and giving 4 assists

This season he's been played out of position mostly but has 30 appearances but has still already scored 3 goals and given us 2 assists with games left to beat the 2016/17 season stats

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But Reach isn’t naturally gifted, and apart from a decent left peg, what other attributes does he bring to the team? Because he seems to severely lack in every other department

The stats just don’t back up your argument. So either you’re incapable of reading the positives he’s delivered whilst in derogatory conditions or you understand that he’s delivered more than any other midfielder at the club but have an agenda against him. 

It’s fine not to like him. But to deny he’s been the most productive player from midfield in his tome here just doesn’t marry with the stats. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We all know Reach isn't going to tackle much.

Is it frustrating? Of course it is! And that's putting it mildly.

But we also all know he's got genuine capability with his left foot. And he's got the assists from there to prove it.

I have absolutely no idea why on earth managers persist with trying to play Reach anywhere other than the left.

However much Reach can frustrate, it's nothing to the mind-numbing stupidity of persistently trying to play Reach in a more central position when he's consistently struggled to play there. He has a decent game there at a rate of about 1 in 10.

If we're not going to play him on the left, then 9 times out of 10, we'd have been much better off not playing him at all.

But really, that's on whoever picks the team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

The stats just don’t back up your argument. So either you’re incapable of reading the positives he’s delivered whilst in derogatory conditions or you understand that he’s delivered more than any other midfielder at the club but have an agenda against him. 

It’s fine not to like him. But to deny he’s been the most productive player from midfield in his tome here just doesn’t marry with the stats. 

He has contributed I know that, but as an attacking winger, any of those 4 positions can’t be classed as derogatory, as they all interlink very closely. They’re just sub positions with exactly the same requirements 

The overall feeling I have is none of them have contributed enough, which is why I won’t be bothered to see the back of him 

11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

He has contributed I know that, but as an attacking winger, any of those 4 positions can’t be classed as derogatory, as they all interlink very closely. They’re just sub positions with exactly the same requirements 

The overall feeling I have is none of them have contributed enough, which is why I won’t be bothered to see the back of him 

Fair enough, I post that he contributes in a goal or assist more often than Todd Cantrell (probably the best LM in league IMO). That’s despite playing many less favourable positions SNES whilst playing in a far worse team. 

You believe he doesn’t contribute enough but refuse to say what an acceptable return would be. 

Cool. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Fair enough, I post that he contributes in a goal or assist more often than Todd Cantrell (probably the best LM in league IMO). That’s despite playing many less favourable positions SNES whilst playing in a far worse team. 

You believe he doesn’t contribute enough but refuse to say what an acceptable return would be. 

Cool. 

I can’t argue with what you’re saying as that would be impossible. I dunno, perhaps it’s just me. His whole demeanour on the pitch just irritates me, and if he was more positive I believe he and we would have more to show for it.

Some people can forgive that for a decent stats return, I guess I have a different mindset on it. 

Which is why I can excuse Harris, as he leaves his body on the pitch even though his stats aren’t as good 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I can’t argue with what you’re saying as that would be impossible. I dunno, perhaps it’s just me. His whole demeanour on the pitch just irritates me, and if he was more positive I believe he and we would have more to show for it.

Some people can forgive that for a decent stats return, I guess I have a different mindset on it. 

Which is why I can excuse Harris, as he leaves his body on the pitch even though his stats aren’t as good 

What did you think of Waddle out of interest. That lazy demeanour and body language must have had you right agitated. 

• Love 1