Thompson on Brentford result

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For those criticising Thompson in ANY shape or form..

Imagine you work for a hotel. Occasionally check people in and work behind the bar. That’s your usual day to day. 

The hotel owner sacks the hotel manager.

The hotel owner then comes to you and says ‘look I’ve sacked the hotel manager, I need you to run the hotel until I find the right person to come in and replace the guy I just sacked. By the way no one else in the hotel can do this, we haven’t got the staff so if you don’t do this for me we’re screwed. Oh yeah and you’re going to get paid the same amount as you do for working behind the bar.’

You let the hotel owner know that you have zero experience managing a hotel. You also remind the hotel owner that customers are currently really unhappy. The hotel is failing, the rooms stink of wee, customers are leaving bad trip adviser reviews, the lifts don’t work and you can’t attract any staff because they all want to work for the shiny nice hotel down the road.

The owner says ‘yeah sorry about that. Also we have no money to improve all those things you mentioned. Good luck!’. Owner puts phone down and gives you no timescale for when the new manager will come in.

And then people get angry at the interim hotel manager who has never managed a hotel in his life, doing a job forced upon him with absolutely no support.

How is that fair? 

*got a bit carried away with the analogy*

Great analogy, I'd say, though, SWFC is more  a blending of Fawlty Towers, and Are You Being Served.  How so?

"Young Mr. Grace" = DC.

"Basil Fawlty"         = that Paixo fella, or however you spell his name.

I could go on.....

Anyway, I don't think SWFC is going to be relegated.

Guest Bulgaria

Actually, yeah my gripe is with Thompson because last night he was the one who decided to play the long ball all night to Jordan Rhodes. It doesn't work, never has and never will.

Negative, brain dead tactics are ingrained into our club and it's killing it.

We will get what we deserve.

1 minute ago, Guesswhosback said:

Heard Thompson doesn't even pick the team DC does. 

DC maybe many things but I just can’t see that. Im

basing this on banishing Westwood and Hutchinson twice when Jos and Monk were managers and now they are both back in the fold when Bruce and Tomo took charge. The manager picks the team, 100%. 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Actually, yeah my gripe is with Thompson because last night he was the one who decided to play the long ball all night to Jordan Rhodes. It doesn't work, never has and never will.

Negative, brain dead tactics are ingrained into our club and it's killing it.

We will get what we deserve.

Agree, we've had years of defend deep and hoof. A couple of weeks on the training ground with our u23 coach wasn't going to change that. 

When players revert to type, that's what we are. We are so very boring to watch. The mantra seems to be...if at first you don't succeed, just keep doing the same thing over and over again anyway until the game is over. 

I don't get all this "you can't criticise Thommo" stuff.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke, in sure he's doing his best, but he's also got the responsibility of managing a football team in the second highest league in the country.

The team looked totally devoid of ideas last night, and the previous few games. The only tactics seemed to be "give it to Bannan".

I know, maybe we could try Reach in a more central role? Yeah, nice one Thommo.

But he didn't want the job, so best keep quiet

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Proving my point,just yes men 

Yeah, being the big man, challenging your employer knowing it will effectively change nothing and lead to you losing your job which no doubt pays nothing in comparison to the multi million pound contracts the previous managers have had the joys of receiving, with a massive pay off if they fail works every time.

Makes perfect sense to me to lose your job performing a role you are not contracted or likely remunerated to do.

I'd be sitting there hoping that I can ride the storm until chairman Chansiri leaves.

Last night went like could be expected. We got beaten away to the side second from top. 
What was actually infuriating is at 1-0 down Brentford felt very nervous and if we had made attacking changes earlier and got at them a bit we might have stood a chance. We still might have lost but at least it would have been interesting. Instead nothing happened. We made one attacking(ish) change once we were 2 down. 
The way we set up hasn’t made sense to me for the last two games. We had something that worked and we should have stuck with it regardless of opponent in the hope we picked up more wins than losses. 
So, the big question is do I blame Thompson? He’s the bloke whose here making the decisions so he’s to blame for the decisions that lose games as much as he’s to be lauded when things go well. 
Problem is he’s working with very little and is out of his depth. He didn’t give himself the job. He was supposed to be here for a bit, stabilise the ship and wait for the new man. That’s what he’s done. 
I still think he has it in him to learn from the last couple of games and turn things around to some extent. But I think we are going down. 

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Don't blame Thompson at all myself.

The bloke, regardless of how loyal and nice he is happens to be a paid employee by SWFC to be a coach. He has been at the club years. If he is unable to fathom out that playing Jordan Rhodes up top on his own and then getting our keeper to boot it up to his head, then I am sorry, he is IMO in the wrong job.

Why should he be exempt from criticism?

His job is to coach our players to try and win football matches!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

The bloke, regardless of how loyal and nice he is happens to be a paid employee by SWFC to be a coach. He has been at the club years. If he is unable to fathom out that playing Jordan Rhodes up top on his own and then getting our keeper to boot it up to his head, then I am sorry, he is IMO in the wrong job. 

You're right 

He IS in the wrong job

He's in the first team managers job

He's been told to be the first team manager when he doesn't have the neccessary experience / skills to do so

He IS in the wrong job

Slagging him off is no different to slagging off a 7 year old who's not able to dance perfect ballet after you shoved them through the door for their first ballet lesson

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Bulgaria
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're right 

He IS in the wrong job

He's in the first team managers job

He's been told to be the first team manager when he doesn't have the neccessary experience / skills to do so

He IS in the wrong job

Slagging him off is no different to slagging off a 7 year old who's not able to dance perfect ballet after you shoved them through the door for their first ballet lesson

He is a coach, what difference does it make whether he decides on tactics or formations for the first team or the u23s?

Why did he play Reach out of position?

Why did he play Rhodes up top on his own?

Has he still not grasped after all these years that playing Rhodes like that doesn't work?

He a coach FFS.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

What was actually infuriating is at 1-0 down Brentford felt very nervous and if we had made attacking changes earlier and got at them a bit we might have stood a chance. We still might have lost but at least it would have been interesting. Instead nothing happened. We made one attacking(ish) change once we were 2 down. 

This....In the last 3 games we've played teams on bad runs, devoid of confidence. We should have been at them from the start, not let them settle.

Then when things aren't working in an attacking sense, are slow to make changes. He should have changed things at half time, taken off the ineffectual Kachunga for Paterson and brought others on. He's got 5 subs, use them, shake things up, not plod on doing the same thing until it's too late.