Thompson on Brentford result

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

We’re under water for sure. And I agree with you on the last bit. 

Literally only hope left is Jordan Rhodes suddenly wakes up in 2015 for 5/6 games between now and the end of the season. And he’s done that once in 4 years. 

Pathetic.

Rhodes was played up front on his own tonight and had the ball blasted 100 yards up to him and onto the heads of their seven foot tall defenders 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

For those criticising Thompson in ANY shape or form..

Imagine you work for a hotel. Occasionally check people in and work behind the bar. That’s your usual day to day. 

The hotel owner sacks the hotel manager.

The hotel owner then comes to you and says ‘look I’ve sacked the hotel manager, I need you to run the hotel until I find the right person to come in and replace the guy I just sacked. By the way no one else in the hotel can do this, we haven’t got the staff so if you don’t do this for me we’re screwed. Oh yeah and you’re going to get paid the same amount as you do for working behind the bar.’

You let the hotel owner know that you have zero experience managing a hotel. You also remind the hotel owner that customers are currently really unhappy. The hotel is failing, the rooms stink of wee, customers are leaving bad trip adviser reviews, the lifts don’t work and you can’t attract any staff because they all want to work for the shiny nice hotel down the road.

The owner says ‘yeah sorry about that. Also we have no money to improve all those things you mentioned. Good luck!’. Owner puts phone down and gives you no timescale for when the new manager will come in.

And then people get angry at the interim hotel manager who has never managed a hotel in his life, doing a job forced upon him with absolutely no support.

How is that fair? 

*got a bit carried away with the analogy*

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Steve1212 said:

What the flip do our coaches do with the players in between games?

Every game it’s the same old dross as though they expect a different outcome.
Why isn’t the goalie coach telling wildsmith to command his area?

The set piece coach must have been smack for three years and looking at the half time stats who the heck said yeah just keep lumping it long boys? 

Absolutely spot on. If I were coaching Wildsmith, I would hire 10 rugby forwards. I would then ping crosses to the penalty spot and make Wildsmith come out and catch it, while the rugby lads walloped him. Then I’d make him do it again and again until he worked out a method of dealing with it. Every session, every day, every week......

• Like 3

I said months ago that we have more chance of staying up with Thompson, than we would have done with some foreign coach plucked out of a hat and I still stand by that... They were the only realistic choices under Chansiri, because the man has no idea how to run a football club... He is to blame for the position we find ourselves in, no one else.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Rhodes was played up front on his own tonight and had the ball blasted 100 yards up to him and onto the heads of their seven foot tall defenders 

I know. We could have had Harry Kane up front and he’d have had as much influence. 

My point was just that our only way out of this is someone taking the very few chances we may get in any game between now and the end of the season to snatch us a win here and there. Because we’re not going to outplay anyone. 

And there’s only one who’s done it before.  

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

We’re under water for sure. And I agree with you on the last bit. 

Literally only hope left is Jordan Rhodes suddenly wakes up in 2015 for 5/6 games between now and the end of the season. And he’s done that once in 4 years. 

Pathetic.

You can’t criticise Monk on here and there are some who genuinely believe he would’ve kept us up and I’ll be honest I thought things would improve when he left but the goalkeeping situation he left was a shambles. He didn’t really address the lack of creativity in the middle of the park and generally brought in one paced players. The forward options he left us with was f***ing criminal.

I don’t want to criticise Thompson because he’s doing his best with the utter sh!tshow he’s inherited but I think the Chairman has to throw the managerial dice again as we need a fresh pair of eyes and ideas to stand any chance of salvaging this season.

22 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

he hasn’t but we have to try something different dont we? 

There is diddly squat he can do about the situation. He has no players at his disposal to make any difference. To be fair no  manager could change anything with this current shower. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

You can’t criticise Monk on here and there are some who genuinely believe he would’ve kept us up and I’ll be honest I thought things would improve when he left but the goalkeeping situation he left was a shambles. He didn’t really address the lack of creativity in the middle of the park and generally brought in one paced players. The forward options he left us with was f***ing criminal.

I don’t want to criticise Thompson because he’s doing his best with the utter sh!tshow he’s inherited but I think the Chairman has to throw the managerial dice again as we need a fresh pair of eyes and ideas to stand any chance of salvaging this season.

Yeah Monk 100% definitely recruited the players 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Jim said:

He does. He has to get someone in and hope for a bounce. 

Pulis may be a lot of things, but one thing he wasn’t wrong about was the state of our lopsided squad. The summer was shambolic on reflection.

8 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Absolutely spot on. If I were coaching Wildsmith, I would hire 10 rugby forwards. I would then ping crosses to the penalty spot and make Wildsmith come out and catch it, while the rugby lads walloped him. Then I’d make him do it again and again until he worked out a method of dealing with it. Every session, every day, every week......

To be fair you would probably also have to hire someone to put a cross into the box.. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah Monk 100% definitely recruited the players 

And Carlos didn’t want Abdi, Rhodes and Van Aken. 

DC just hasn’t learned and gone through the same mistake manager after manager.

and it’s going to cost us enormously. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Thompson is a yes man 

DC's kind of bloke 

Him and bullen ain't got a set between um 

Him and Bullen wouldn't get a job anyway near as big as this in football , there'll be hanging on for dear life, at any other club they'd have been outed by now , we've had about 5 different managers and in all that time bullen and Thompson have bn at the club , how ?

10 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Thompson’s tactics the last few games have been very concerning. Booting balls up to Rhodes tonight was crazy. 

Also...

Playing Reach as an inside right tonight.

Telling the press even though we played better with a back 3 he’s changed it to a 4, and yet somehow managed to sacrifice an attacker in the process. 

Like I said earlier tons of sympathy for the bloke, but he’s started tying an arm behind his back every game with his team selections & approach. 

Didn’t watch it and won’t watch the next match. Season is done for me. It’s not enjoyable to watch. Hopefully in League 1 next season we might win more matches and get to the ground.

At least when you can go to the ground, it’s about more then just the football, currently it’s only about the football. 

It just gets me down and makes me feel like I’ve wasted 95 mins of my life. These are tough times for everyone, why make it worse.

Thompson has been asked by the club to manage the team on an interim basis.

He's never claimed to be a manager, any more than did Bullen when he was in the dugout.

And, like Bullen, he had a honeymoon period of several matches, but now that appears to have come to an end.

To be fair, that we've lost tonight isn't really a surprise comparing the relative strengths of the two teams.

Our relegation will be due to the defeats against fellow-strugglers, rather than in fixtures such as this.

Cook should have been appointed, then he'd have been apt for whatever happens this season and next.

But Paixao doesn't want him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

We started brightly

Does he mean when, from their kick off, our players ran forwards past the ball expecting it to go back, while their player casually turned and took them out of the game, then set Brentford off on the attack with a simple forward pass to feet, setting the tone for the half?

Compared to our kick off tactics of passing it forwards, then hoofing it forwards out for a throw, 20 yards or so past the half way line?

We are a mess. 

NT has to take some responsibility for the way the players have been coached to play.