i just cant believe were still offering contracts to players that are past their best and are into their thirties, Bannan was a good player but hes past his sell by date and another player we wont get a transfer fee for where as players like shaw which are the future arent being tied down as possible future assets to sell. The club doesnt seem to learn from its mistakes 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, OwlsItGoing said:

i just cant believe were still offering contracts to players that are past their best and are into their thirties, Bannan was a good player but hes past his sell by date and another player we wont get a transfer fee for where as players like shaw which are the future arent being tied down as possible future assets to sell. The club doesnt seem to learn from its mistakes 

Its ok tho because our fanbase has covered all bases by slagging off Bannan AND Shaw 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Its ok tho because our fanbase has covered all bases by slagging off Bannan AND Shaw 

cant slag of shaw if i was 19 and being offered a contract from celtic which are probably going to be paying him best part of £10k a week id snap your hand off and anybody that says theyd stay at their boyhood club thats going under needs their head checking

57 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Bannan is not having his best season, he will know that, however he runs his heart out for this club. You don't see many others do that right now.

When a player is off form, they can compensate that by putting the extra miles in.

Bannan does that.

Also watching Hutchinson sprint back at full pelt when Harris lost the ball was good to see, he made Palmers attempt at getting back laughable.

I picked up on that - poor effort from Palmer when Hutchinson was busting a gut. 

14 minutes ago, OwlsItGoing said:

I’m more concerned we’re offering contracts to players who aren’t good enough to take said 30+ year old players positions in the side.

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

This is what I've been saying for over a Season,  seems only know other people are waking up to this.

Apart from you every other poster has told me I know nothing and he's the best player we have.

I wish I saw what others do.

Not me i have been consistent,i dont want any of them,been here too long

• Like 1
  • Love 1

They miss Kieran Lee,his goals made them look productive,suprised DC didnt bring him back too!

Wheres Wallace when you need him.

The strategy and forward planning at the top level just beggers belief, the pin and blindfold approach died out years ago!

7 hours ago, bobness said:

What do you plan on doing with the £50 payout?

*£75

Put it towards next season's ifollow pass 

:Chansiri:

1 hour ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Thought Bannan was in goal last night he was that deep...

That really is the issue with our team where we have 8 or 9 players deep and become a long ball side. Every other side we meet seems to have more possession and play more in our half than we do in theirs. We really would struggle with Ivan Toney up front for us. Unfortunately the U23's played the same way when Burokov was up on his own. Even the the most ardent fans of Bannan admit he needs a defensive minder so why then drop so deep creating the more long ball style. 

The whole team needs to be a lot fitter and smarter than they are. They need play some football further up the field, sadly I can only see this with a decent manager but don't have confidence in Chansiri finding one. If you can't afford new players then you need a coach with a plan and some development capabilities.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Injuries and recovery time are killing this side/ our club...surely we would be a more consistent side with Luongo and Iorfa in there. Even getting Luongo fit and shoving Hutchinson into the defence may have produced a result or two.  I honestly don’t know what any coach or manager could do to succeed given that there are so many of them injured or trying to get fit. Now we have Westwood out for god knows how long..(.incidentally, when I partially fell through the loft hatch and cracked my ribs a couple of years back the hospital said they don’t x Ray ribs, so how he knows he’s broken some God only knows.) It would be nice if someone at the club gave some idea of potential return time of the likes of Odubajo, Iorfa, Luongo, etc (don’t really want to know about Van Aken to be honest).

10 hours ago, OwlsItGoing said:

i would imagine thats so at least the club can get a fee for him after relegation, lead by example to others than leaving us with no income at all

i'll wager that over a season Bannan passes back (you know what pass I mean = that pass a player in an England shirt makes when he's absolutely no idea what to do so he thinks bugger this ...better someone else drops a bõllock than me type of pass..) way more than he makes an advancing forward pass ...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Hutchinson needs to be moved into defence. We don’t score any goals with him in midfield and he contributes nothing to our attack.  He played the game in acres last night which looks good on tv but he had no impact on the game at all.

I would gamble on brown in midfield. There is quality there somewhere, we need to find it quick .

• Like 2
12 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

Still our best two players tonight.

Exactly. Although things are bad, but as I’ve said before without these two they would be so much worse. 

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don’t get me wrong I like Bannan. But he’s pointless in this team when we don’t have sufficient quality around him. There’s no point. We’re just seeing a once quality player for us go through the motions and gradually lose that spark which once made them a joy to watch.

For footballing reasons it made no sense for him to sign a new deal. Bannan and the club needed a fresh start.

But ultimately this club needs a fresh start in more ways than one. More than just the players who are picked on a Saturday or Wednesday.

This ^
Its the old debate we sometimes get into under a bad spell, does Bannan really make us a better team? Unsure if his decline is down to tactics or lack of quality in the team but similar to Reach and eventually will be Irofa, just another example of us wasting the rare occasion when we bring in somebody with talent. 

11 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Just think if we had a set of scouts that could source a better midfield than what we have. They are out there. Just look up the road at Barnsley. Punching well above their weight while our overpaid lazy shysters go through the motions.

This is the real killer.

As fans we think because we’re a ‘big club’ the culture and philosophy behind the scenes must be brilliant, progressive, innovative, strategised all the good stuff. When actually over time it becomes clear we haven’t got a clue. But yet ‘small’ clubs like Barnsley with a fraction of the resource can get all that good stuff right?

There was a thread on here about Brentford the other week, they are the best example of how a small club changed their philosophy/culture and are now reaping the rewards. What has taken us so long to figure it out? Why are we so stuck in the past? 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I love some folk on this site

Spend all season slagging Bannan off 

Then when they realise it doens't work they lump 'hutch' into it to try a bit harder

lol

Or Kieran Lee when he was for some. Yep Im not joking!

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Hutchinson needs to be moved into defence. We don’t score any goals with him in midfield and he contributes nothing to our attack.  He played the game in acres last night which looks good on tv but he had no impact on the game at all.

I would gamble on brown in midfield. There is quality there somewhere, we need to find it quick .

Brown needs to show more fitness and application to warrant a start.

Wod give Hunt a go before him

6 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Brown needs to show more fitness and application to warrant a start.

Wod give Hunt a go before him

Fair shout. I like hunt, just less proven.

Hutchinson came back and played well in defence. Steadied it, organised and we got some better results. He then got moved in to midfield. It has happened with him a lot in his Wednesday career. He gets moved to midfield because we don't have any better options.