Class of 09/10 vs Class of 20/21

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

Exactly - the current lot remind me of 02/03, right down to disastrous Chelsea loan signing (Leon Knight vs Izzy Brown) and a complete lack of cojones...

A typical line-up might be:

Pressman

Haslam    Westwood Bromby    Barry-Murphy

Hamshaw   MacLaren   Soltvedt    Quinn 

Owusu    Kuqi

God damn it you've nailed it.

I'd nearly wiped that team from memory, what a shambles. 

We were so dire at times.

2 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

A question I’ve been thinking about a lot lately, but maybe a thread to revisit in May.

But who wins?

Most picked 11’s would be...

2009/10 

Lee Grant 

Lewis Buxton

Darren Purse

Mark Beevers

Tommy Spurr

Jermaine Johnson (5 goals)

Darren Potter (7 assists)

James O’Connor

Michael Gray

Marcus Tudgay (10 goals)(9 assists)

Luke Varney (9 goals)(6 assists)

That team finished on 47 points, averaging 1.02 points a game. 11 wins, 14 draws & 21 defeats. Michael Gray also credits the lack of professionalism in this team as the reason he ended up ‘hating football’.

vs..

2020/21 (as it stands) 

Kieren Westwood

Liam Palmer

Tom Lees

Joost Van Aken

Moses Odubajo

Kadeem Harris (3 assists)

Barry Bannan (4 assists)

Joey Pelupessy 

Adam Reach (3 goals)(2 assists)

Callum Paterson (6 goals)

Josh Windass (3 goals)

Currently bringing in 1.10 points a game, leading to a projected total of 51 points (excluding points deduction which makes it 45). 9 wins, 7 draws & 14 defeats.

Never knew Michael Gray said that. FFS

I need to come clean 

I’ve thought this for a while actually...

I don’t think Potter and JOC were that bad of a combination. 

I even think the ‘Potter’s 3 failed corners in a row’ is an overrated humiliation.... as no one has taken a good corner since that anyway.... and that’s a lot more than 3 tries 

Right lads !?

Hello ?

13 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Never knew Michael Gray said that. FFS

Just listened to that podcast this morning. He singles out JJ and particularly, Leon Clarke. Chris Sedgwick has also spoken about JJs lack of professionalism on the same podcast.

That Laws team was getting away with murder by the sounds of it, and Irvine couldn't straighten them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The team from league one under Irvine with clinton morrison leading the line would beat this current tripe 

09/10 would take the pi55 out of this lot,while laughing at the fact we are paying some of these lot 25k a week 

We have had some shocking sides over the last twenty years, but this lot are right up there tbh. 

I struggle to think of too many more spineless, insipid sides and that's saying something. 

On a par with the dross of the early 00s? Yeah, probably. 

Honestly, some of our so-so sides (the one that finished 12th under Laws) would give this lot a pasting. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Varney and Tudgay...  

better than we have today. 

Grant wasn't the keeper that Westwood was, but he was always fit and a very capable keeper. 

Defence...well, I think some of the current lot are probably better defenders, but they are equally hopeless on the ball. 

Midfield...JJ absolutely walks into this current side. Potter and O'Connor were awful, but then is our current midfield set up any more effective? Probably not. 

And yeah, up top it's not even really a contest. Tudgay, Varney, Clarke and so on are far better than the current lot. 

• Like 1

I think that Potter and JOC don’t seem as bad to me because I give them some credit for that win at the Lane, an individual day that mattered, amongst a few other bits and bobs of stuff. 

I can only compare something like that to us losing badly to Rotherham this season. 

I couldn't stand Potter, but I don't think any of the current midfielders are any more effective tbh. 

Yeah, Hutchinson gets around and wins the ball back, but he offers little going forward. I think his best position now is a CB.

Bannan...talented footballer, but, more often than not, his only creative contribution is the hollywood ball over the top...which is hilarious when you consider the fact we have zero pace in the side. 

Edited by SiJ
3 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The 2009/10 team scored 49 goals over the season.

The 2020/21 team has scored 21 goals in 31 games so isn’t getting near 49

The fact the current team does not have an actual striker other than Rhodes, who can hardly move, doesn't help. 

If the two teams were combined, Grant would play in goal when Westwood is injured, Buxton would walk into the side, Spurr would play as the only decent left-back even though he wasn't great, as would JJ, Tudgay and even Varney. 

The defensive record is better this season, Lees is better than Purse & Beevers were, Hutchinson would also be in the team.

Not much between the two, especially in terms of points but they 2009/10 team were probably more enjoyable to watch due to them actually having a goal threat every now and again. Sadly that team got even worse in 2010/11. Who know what 2021/22 holds for us. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, kristmace said:

There at least seemed to be fight and leadership in the 09/10 team. 

I remember Purse screaming orders at players and JJ crying leaving the pitch after a mistake of his cost us points. They were poor but they cared. 

20/21 just don't seem to give a to55 at all. 

Yeah, that great fighting spirit and care for the club that saw us win 1 of our last 12 games and fail miserably at home in a relegation decider on the final day. 

6 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I do not miss Darren Purse. 

Flop. 

Purse had a bad start in a bad team.

However, I am sure there was a stat showing average goals conceded when he played was 1 yet when he didn’t play on average we conceded 2.

The way fans booed the likes of Beavers and Spurr was dreadful.

10 hours ago, Animis said:

the 09/10 team was better than this one.

I'd say 02/03 one runs this one close.

For me  there's more of a similarity for the 1999/2000 squad. Just like  now we had some big money flops, players who came with a big reputation and players we wasted big fees on that added nothing to the team. Siibon, yonk, Rudi, donnely deBilde. Hunch cliff. 

Toothles up front, not bothered or willing to roll there sleeves up. Yes there were the few like Atherton who had a bit of a battle in them, the problem was they weren't good enough. 

8 hours ago, OohAahGuyWhittingham said:

Just listened to that podcast this morning. He singles out JJ and particularly, Leon Clarke. Chris Sedgwick has also spoken about JJs lack of professionalism on the same podcast.

That Laws team was getting away with murder by the sounds of it, and Irvine couldn't straighten them out.

whats this podcast? wouldn't mind a listen, especially the episode giving insight into the laws side.

Potter and O Connor is at best a very average Central midfield pairing, however I would rather see them line up for us than Bannan and Hutch there.

• Haha 2