Lennon leaves Celtic

@Hookowl - I just had a read of the website you quoted from, and it's primarily focussed on the case of Richard Bittain, and it explains how the situation could be pertinent in Shaw's case (assuming he's actually signed such a pre-contract):

However, Richard Brittain subsequently changed his mind about the transfer for personal reasons and signed a new contract with Ross County. St Johnstone insisted that Richard Brittain was bound to the pre-contract that he had signed and threatened legal action against Richard Brittain for breach of contract.

The dispute involving Richard Brittain was ultimately resolved after Ross County agreed to pay St Johnstone compensation.

So Ross County ended up paying compensation in order to keep a player who never actually left their club, but signed a pre-contract agreement with another club.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Another factor taken into account by the DRC is whether the pre-contract has come into effect. If the pre-contract has been terminated prior to when it is due to take effect, then the DRC has been reluctant to find that the pre-contract is binding,

So if it is cancelled because Shaw has received a better offer elsewhere and hasn't started to perform any part of their new contact then the pre contract isn't binding ??

15 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So if it is cancelled because Shaw has received a better offer elsewhere and hasn't started to perform any part of their new contact then the pre contract isn't binding ??

That's how it seems to read, as I say I've just been trying to read up on it.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Really?

Are there any examples of players signing pre-contract agreements with more than one club?

I'd have thought that signing a pre-contract with one club would be final and binding, otherwise what's the point?

Folarin balogun for Arsenal has signed a pre contract agreement with rb leipzig but Arsenal are confident of coming to some agreement to stop with them. 

It’s so all the details are there and Celtic can’t turn round and say you know what we are taking x amount away from the deal or to stop shaw asking for more right at the last minute.

The pre contract will most likely be binding. Celtic would be aware of the potential pitfalls and ensure it's watertight. So would Shaw's agent.

The lad must have been prepared to leave us before he signed it.

It's 99% certain he's not staying. Get used to it. The club need to get their act together and make sure we tie these kids up tp prpoer contracts as soon as they look like they have potential. It doesn't cost much if you sign them before they get in the first team. Chicken feed compared to what we lose if they leave when they are regular first team players.

At least include an option for us to extend their contract if we want to. That would buy us time to make a decision.

Bad management early on. Pulis spotted his ability straight away and brought him in. Monk should have done the same, he had plenty of opportunity. Ultimately the buck stops at the top but we know DC wouldn't know a football talent if it got up and bit him. That's why the manager needs to start the ball rolling.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Harvey Elliott Fulham to Liverpool - £4.6m

Ethan Ampadu - Exeter to Chelsea - £2.5m

Dominic Solanke Chelsea - Liverpool - £3m

That’s off the top of my head. I’m sure there are more cases you can find online if you are so desperate for the information. 

Shaw is a good prospect but not sure Premier League club would risk potentially a few million in compensation for him at this stage of his development. I don’t think he’s ever going to be an England international but the fact remains he holds value to us at the moment. And we’re going to lose him for less than he potentially could make us. 

The ‘if he’s good enough Prem clubs would sign him argument’ is so rubbish. A lot of factors to take into account.

Celtic are in the best position to take a gamble because of the low compensation fee. Means they can offer more in wages.

Harvey Elliott was a record fee for a 16-year-old. Initial £1.5M plus bonuses. He had played 10 times for England under 17's, far different to Shaw who turns 20 next month.

Ethan Ampadu was also 16 when he moved and had youth international caps. His initial fee was £1.3M which was chosen upon based on making a senior international appearance.

Dominic Solanke had played a full season in Holland and had made numerous international appearances at every youth level before his move to Liverpool.

Amazing really that you choose these 3 players as a benchmark for comparison to Shaw. 

The compensation fee for PL clubs would be a drop in the ocean and Celtic are in no position to be able to offer more wages on that basis than any PL club. That's a ludicrous point to make, just look at the comparative levels of income. 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Harvey Elliott was a record fee for a 16-year-old. Initial £1.5M plus bonuses. He had played 10 times for England under 17's, far different to Shaw who turns 20 next month.

Ethan Ampadu was also 16 when he moved and had youth international caps. His initial fee was £1.3M which was chosen upon based on making a senior international appearance.

Dominic Solanke had played a full season in Holland and had made numerous international appearances at every youth level before his move to Liverpool.

Amazing really that you choose these 3 players as a benchmark for comparison to Shaw. 

The compensation fee for PL clubs would be a drop in the ocean and Celtic are in no position to be able to offer more wages on that basis than any PL club. That's a ludicrous point to make, just look at the comparative levels of income. 

Celtic will pay less in compensation than a Premier League club.

That’s all there is to it.

I provided you with examples. And now you’re saying the examples aren’t good enough. 

Can’t win. And please stop targeting my posts and being so passive aggressive with them. Ta! 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Celtic will pay less in compensation than a Premier League club.

That’s all there is to it.

I provided you with examples. And now you’re saying the examples aren’t good enough. 

Can’t win. And please stop targeting my posts and being so passive aggressive with them. Ta! 

Its called debate. I haven't been abusive or offensive, I am putting an alternative view out.

The size of any potential tribunal fee would not be enough to put any Premier League club off and every Premier League club could easily more than match the wages that Celtic can offer.

I didn't feel that Solanke, Ampadu and Elliott were appropriate comparisons for Shaw and stated my reasons why.

Sorry if this offends you. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Its called debate. I haven't been abusive or offensive, I am putting an alternative view out.

The size of any potential tribunal fee would not be enough to put any Premier League club off and every Premier League club could easily more than match the wages that Celtic can offer.

I didn't feel that Solanke, Ampadu and Elliott were appropriate comparisons for Shaw and stated my reasons why.

Sorry if this offends you. 

But they haven’t? And Celtic have.

And Celtic will pick him up cheaper than any English club due to how compensation works.

So you’ve gone off on a tangent for absolutely no reason.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But they haven’t? And Celtic have.

And Celtic will pick him up cheaper than any English club due to how compensation works.

So you’ve gone off on a tangent for absolutely no reason.

The reason is because if English clubs really wanted him they would happily pay a little over the £300K that is has cost Celtic and depsite what you said would have no problem bettering the wages on offer. 

He just isn't that sought after. 

3 hours ago, MarvelOwls said:

Completely agree.

But also imagine if our fanbase was going as mental as they seem to be for Lennon to leave after not really losing that many games?

He did worse at Hibs and was a favourite up there 

It's all down to expectations bud. 

Hamilton and Livingston  for example were averaging 3,000 fans and 6/7 teams were averaging less than a lot of conference teams here. 

Hence given the vastly lopsided difference in cash and quality of players /staff, if your managing one of the big two your expected to win almost every game with exception of the Derby. 

It's a totally different situation to us, so we can't expect a manager to have a 70% win ratio, have we ever had one in?? 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The reason is because if English clubs really wanted him they would happily pay a little over the £300K that is has cost Celtic and depsite what you said would have no problem bettering the wages on offer. 

I don’t think English clubs can start negotiations with him yet. Which would explain why Celtic are his only offer as it stands.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is probably the case.

The argument we could have got millions for him is a complete hypothetical.

I doubt they'll be PL clubs lining up around the block to pay millions for the kid.

Celtic have taken a punt which will cost them nothing really.

Our biggest issue is the fact we allowed him to get to the end of his contract. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t think English clubs can start negotiations with him yet. Which would explain why Celtic are his only offer as it stands.

We all know that representations can be made, even if clubs are not technically meant to do so.

Just now, SiJ said:

This is probably the case.

The argument we could have got millions for him is a complete hypothetical.

I doubt they'll be PL clubs lining up around the block to pay millions for the kid.

Celtic have taken a punt which will cost them nothing really.

Our biggest issue is the fact we allowed him to get to the end of his contract. 

English clubs can’t start negotiations with him yet. That’s probably why Celtic is the only interest we’ve heard of. 

Why did he sign so soon then, if other offers are likely? 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why did he sign so soon then, if other offers are likely? 

I don’t know, why don’t you ask him ffs. Plenty of potential factors behind his decision. 

In my opinion he probably won’t be getting offers from clubs in England bigger than Celtic in terms of history and size. 

*in before someone points out how crap the SPL is*

How do you know they haven’t?

Perhaps the lad is just really keen on Celtic which is why he’s signed the pre-contract. 

So he has signed for Celtic when he could have waited for offers from the PL? 

Why would he? If Celtic are so keen then surely their offer would remain in place is he is so keen on joining them despite loads of potential interest from elsewhere? 

Your just providing conjecture now, no facts. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So he has signed for Celtic when he could have waited for offers from the PL? 

Why would he? If Celtic are so keen then surely their offer would remain in place is he is so keen on joining them despite loads of potential interest from elsewhere? 

Your just providing conjecture now, no facts. 

The irony of this post.

You’re providing incredible conjecture as to why he’s signed a pre contract with Celtic.

How do you know he would get an offer anywhere else?

How do you know Celtic’s interest will remain and they won’t move on to other targets?

In terms of interest, Pulis has come out and said there’s been interest in Shaw. Including from a Premier League club. 

lol

Edited by SallyCinnamon