Lennon leaves Celtic

19 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Bannan has already stated that Shaw is not destined to leave with 100 % certainty. Shaw has been sensible and got an offer on the table from Celtic. Its up to DC to match or better. Celtic may no longer be prepared to take a risk on a youngster. Bad luck for Shaw really. Could work out better for us now

I wonder what Celtic have offered 15-20k a week? I can understand Chansiri not matching it if so until he knows our league status! 

5 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

Hasnt he got a 70% win rate? 

Pretty good stats I'm just reading. 16 defeats in 110 games. 

I also have a 100% win record in arm wrestling against my eight year old son.

Doesnt make me a world class arm wrestler.

Context important in these win % stats - Lennon was hopeless at Bolton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If, as reported, Shaw has signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic, then there's nothing we can do to stop him leaving, and Celtic will be obliged to sign him.

It all hinges on whether he's actually signed on the dotted line, doesn't it?

Think Bannan hinted that Shaw still has options

Turned on Talksport and caught the end of a call about who should take over from Lennon. A caller suggested Carvahal. Simon Jordan comment was that Carvahal is a manager that flattered to deceive.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He did seem to, yes.

Which was surprising, given that it was reported he'd signed a pre-contract agreement with Celtic.

Both can't be true, surely?

As already pointed out, Davies had a pre-contract with Celtic but signed for Liverpool instead.

I'm guessing there's a subtle difference between a pre-contract and contract.  Perhaps a fee was paid by Liverpool/Davies to release from the Pre-Contract.  Maybe the Pre-contract is more of an agreement that carries some weight but not the full weight of law because the person is already employed.  

Pre-contract[edit]

A pre-contract is an agreement by a player and an agreeing to take his registration at a later date, and became more well known after the Bosman ruling in 1995.[245] A club may sign a pre-contract with a player while he is still with another club, by which the player agrees to move to the club at a future date, usually after his contract with his current club expires. Under the Bosman ruling, a player can sign a contract with a new club up to six months before his existing contract expires.[246]

A pre-contract agreement may be broken by the player or the club,[245] as was the case when Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,[247][248] but Brittain changed his mind three months later,[249] citing family reasons.[250] Ross County registered the player as their own in June,[251] and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,[252] St Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation.[245][253]

Although a pre-contract agreement is usually signed to secure the future registration of a player, an agreement can be reached where the club gaining the registration can pay a fee to the other club to sign the player earlier, as was the case in January 2013, when Schalke 04 midfielder Lewis Holtby, who had six months remaining on his contract, signed a pre-contract agreement with Tottenham Hotspur,[254] but at the end of the month, Tottenham paid a fee of £1.5 million to bring the transfer forward.[255]

From Wiki.  

7 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I think Lennon is a better option than most of the names being mentioned. Just because Bolton which was earlier in his management career was not very successful has little bearing on his abilities now as a manager / coach

No thanks, the last ginger manager we had failed big time at Hillsbro. 

11 minutes ago, Manwë said:

As already pointed out, Davies had a pre-contract with Celtic but signed for Liverpool instead.

I'm guessing there's a subtle difference between a pre-contract and contract.  Perhaps a fee was paid by Liverpool/Davies to release from the Pre-Contract.  Maybe the Pre-contract is more of an agreement that carries some weight but not the full weight of law because the person is already employed.  

It turns out he didn't sign the pre-contract agreement with Celtic, despite reports to the contrary...

Liverpool exploited a Celtic contract clanger to steal Ben Davies from the Scottish champions.

The Preston defender was all set to move north of the border on July 1 after agreeing personal terms on a pre-contract, with his Deepdale deal ending in the summer.

But Sunday People Sport can reveal that Celtic inserted a clause requiring the 25-year-old to be injury-free and fit to play when reporting for duty.

While Davies wavered Liverpool jumped in to agree a deal worth up to £1.6 million with Holland Under-19s defender Sepp van den Berg going the other way on loan.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon was left frustrated, believing he had landed the impressive central- defender for free.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-ben-davies-signing-celtic-23454860

It seems like the terms of the contract were agreed, then altered at the last minute by Celtic, which delayed the signing on the dotted line and allowed Liverpool to sneak in.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Good point. Very recent example of how securely tied to the actually contract a pre contract is. Seems like its more of a gentleman's agreement rather than set in stone 

18 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I think Lennon is a better option than most of the names being mentioned. Just because Bolton which was earlier in his management career was not very successful has little bearing on his abilities now as a manager / coach

Lennon isnt an option at all because he wouldnt come here, simple.

Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It turns out he didn't sign the pre-contract agreement with Celtic, despite reports to the contrary...

Liverpool exploited a Celtic contract clanger to steal Ben Davies from the Scottish champions.

The Preston defender was all set to move north of the border on July 1 after agreeing personal terms on a pre-contract, with his Deepdale deal ending in the summer.

But Sunday People Sport can reveal that Celtic inserted a clause requiring the 25-year-old to be injury-free and fit to play when reporting for duty.

While Davies wavered Liverpool jumped in to agree a deal worth up to £1.6 million with Holland Under-19s defender Sepp van den Berg going the other way on loan.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon was left frustrated, believing he had landed the impressive central- defender for free.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-ben-davies-signing-celtic-23454860

It seems like the terms of the contract were agreed, then altered at the last minute by Celtic, which delayed the signing on the dotted line and allowed Liverpool to sneak in.

Money talks. Lennon only has himself to blame for trying to get Davies on the cheap then ??

21 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Overseeing the point swing he has this season seems to say otherwise.

Car crash of a manager

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Money talks. Lennon only has himself to blame for trying to get Davies on the cheap then ??

Either way, I don't think there's much we can do if Shaw has signed on the dotted line.

Contracts (and pre-contracts) exist for a reason.

If he's not actually signed anything but just agreed the terms of the deal, then there's still a glimmer of hope, perhaps?

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Either way, I don't think there's much we can do if Shaw has signed on the dotted line.

Contracts (and pre-contracts) exist for a reason.

If he's not actually signed anything but just agreed the terms of the deal, then there's still a glimmer of hope, perhaps?

An agent with a player like shaw would surely want to keep his options open while having an agreement to fall back on or negotiate with as a starting point. 

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Interesting.  We've taken the media's word on Davies signing a pre-contract, and I guess we're doing the same for Shaw too

• Like 1