your Team v Brentford

As someone said in another thread, bit of a free hit, nobody in their right mind expects us to get anything tonight. Might as well go for it:-

Westwood

Dunkley

Lees

Uroghide

Harris 

Hutchinson

Bannan

Reach

Windass

Paterson

Rhodes

Kick them when they have the ball, but not too hard. 

13 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Play Rhodes after missing an absolute sitter on Saturday?

Play Rhodes as he’s our only actual striker. 

Jordan Rhodes should start every game from now until May if fit. He’s been terrible here but we haven’t helped him. Time to put it all one side and do what we can to stay up. Looks like crossing is our best route to goals and that’s what Rhodes thrives off. Bit of confidence in knowing he’s gonna play may help him too. 

• Like 2

Westwood

Ozaze                Lees              Hutch

Reach                     Joey                 Bannan           Penny

Harris              Rhodes            Patto

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Play Rhodes after missing an absolute sitter on Saturday?

I imagine you are being ironic?

But if not, worth thinking why Rhodes got himself two six yard chances in his 20 minutes, whereas Paterson and Windass got no chances whatsoever in their combined 150 minutes.

They aren’t strikers. Their anticipation and movement aren’t those of strikers.

It’s why we scored a goal every two games when they were are mainstays. It’s why we need Rhodes.

This season:-

Rhodes on the pitch - goal every 85 mins

Rhodes in the stand - goal every 150 mins

It cannot continue if we have any desire to stay in the Championship.

34 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I imagine you are being ironic?

But if not, worth thinking why Rhodes got himself two six yard chances in his 20 minutes, whereas Paterson and Windass got no chances whatsoever in their combined 150 minutes.

They aren’t strikers. Their anticipation and movement aren’t those of strikers.

It’s why we scored a goal every two games when they were are mainstays. It’s why we need Rhodes.

This season:-

Rhodes on the pitch - goal every 85 mins

Rhodes in the stand - goal every 150 mins

It cannot continue if we have any desire to stay in the Championship.

It was a bit tongue in cheek and knew it would bring you out...

I just think the miss got overlooked and there would have been a meltdown if Paterson or Windass missed it.

It was woeful.

If we are actually watching football instead of stats we can see how bad it is.

But you are like a site bot with your biased stats about Rhodes.

You cannot say games are won and lost based on stats of one player ( completely skewed by that hat trick).

I will give my opinion on players and matches based on watching their game and what they actually do.

Plenty of games he has looked lost, been weak and innefective. And we cannot just change our game to suit one player.

And he hasnt tried to change his game since he signed. 

I would start him tonight and see if his run of goals continues.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Play Rhodes as he’s our only actual striker. 

Jordan Rhodes should start every game from now until May if fit. He’s been terrible here but we haven’t helped him. Time to put it all one side and do what we can to stay up. Looks like crossing is our best route to goals and that’s what Rhodes thrives off. Bit of confidence in knowing he’s gonna play may help him too. 

We cannot change everything to suit a player who refuses to change his.

I'd go for something like this

Westwood

Lee    Dunkley    Urgohide

Harris     Patterson      Hutchinson    Bannan      Reach

Kachunga    Rhodes

about best we can muster our best players on the pitch but still a shape that can defend and has worked for us at times.

11 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I just think the miss got overlooked and there would have been a meltdown if Paterson or Windass missed it.

It was woeful.

You cannot say games are won and lost based on stats of one player ( completely skewed by that hat trick).

I will give my opinion on players and matches based on watching their game and what they actually do.

Plenty of games he has looked lost, been weak and innefective. And we cannot just change our game to suit one player.

What did Paterson and Windass do?

8 minutes ago, trask43 said:

I'd go for something like this

Westwood

Lee    Dunkley    Urgohide

Harris     Patterson      Hutchinson    Bannan      Reach

Kachunga    Rhodes

about best we can muster our best players on the pitch but still a shape that can defend and has worked for us at times.

Good team. 

I’d forgotten the option of playing Paterson in midfield. I was only thinking we had Joey left standing, but yours is a very good shout IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It really was.

Six yards out and put it corner and we equalise. It was a weak effort.

He can score chances no doubt.

To me a sitter is missing an open goal or a one on one. He got into a good position to get the header on target, decent save. Was his first touch of the game.

Sitter is harsh. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

We cannot change everything to suit a player who refuses to change his.

Change ?? We don’t attack full stop. When we have over the last few games it’s come from the wings Reach Penney Harris putting crosses in. 

When we played possession based attacking football yes we didn’t need to buy Rhodes or change for him or try changing him to us.

Right now we are terrible. We aren’t changing anything we’re using the one and only striker we have. 

• Like 1

Need some mobility from at least one of our forwards for me. Put Windass in for that reason. Let Rhodes concentrate on getting in the box. Brown has done nothing for me to justify him being in there but I can't think of an actual alternative in that position.

Westwood

Lee's           Dunkley       Urhoghide

Harris    Hutchinson       Bannan       Reach

Brown 

Windass              Rhodes

What I think we will see:

Westwood

Lee's           Dunkley       Urhoghide

Palmer  Hutchinson   Pelupessy    Bannan       Reach

Kachunga

Paterson               

27 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Change ?? We don’t attack full stop. When we have over the last few games it’s come from the wings Reach Penney Harris putting crosses in. 

When we played possession based attacking football yes we didn’t need to buy Rhodes or change for him or try changing him to us.

Right now we are terrible. We aren’t changing anything we’re using the one and only striker we have. 

Agree with this, some fans cant change there views on rhodes having previously been mostly right on his failings. Rhodes was a ridiculous signing at a time when we were good, had better strikers already at the club and were pretty successful playing a type of football that he couldnt adapt too.

But thats all gone now and hes currently the best option for a team that doesnt play any style of football, doesnt own any strikers and is bottom of the championship. He should be first name on the team sheet until the end of the season, hes still probably the worst signing in our history.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It was woeful.

That's the thing about not following the stats though and just following what your eyes are telling you. You sometimes only see the bits you want to see.

Believe it or not Joey Pelupessy has a better stats rating then Liam Shaw this season overall. And Shaw's rating as centre back is better than his ratings as a centre midfield. But because we don't want to believe that to be true (And some live in hope he is the next Steven Gerrard) our eyes only see the plays we want to see and not the whole picture. Same applies to Rhodes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's the thing about not following the stats though and just following what your eyes are telling you. You sometimes only see the bits you want to see.

Believe it or not Joey Pelupessy has a better stats rating then Liam Shaw this season overall. And Shaw's rating as centre back is better than his ratings as a centre midfield. But because we don't want to believe that to be true (And some live in hope he is the next Steven Gerrard) our eyes only see the plays we want to see and not the whole picture. Same applies to Rhodes.

I have no issue with what ratings Shaw gets. He has played well in both positions but he needs to remember he cant tackle like Sounness.

The lad has potential and has shown more than Pelupessy imo.

I understand people maybe getting carried away and thats natural. We are desperate for a genuine home grown talent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trask43 said:

Agree with this, some fans cant change there views on rhodes having previously been mostly right on his failings. Rhodes was a ridiculous signing at a time when we were good, had better strikers already at the club and were pretty successful playing a type of football that he couldnt adapt too.

But thats all gone now and hes currently the best option for a team that doesnt play any style of football, doesnt own any strikers and is bottom of the championship. He should be first name on the team sheet until the end of the season, hes still probably the worst signing in our history.

He should def get a chance but we can't blindly assume he should play every game.

Lets not get carried away yet.

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

1.The reason he looks weak and ineffective is because he hasn't had the service from which he plays best. 

2.why not? Nothing else seems to work 

3. It's up to the manager to get him to play how he wants. That hasn't worked either. 

4. Agreed. Play him if he's fit for the rest of the season. 

Theoretically he is the best player on our books. His record and transfer fee says he is. 

It's not rocket science to play the best player you have in his best position. Nothing else has worked since we signed Rhodes. 

If you have to blend a team/tactics around him then do it. 

It's the last roll of the dice for us from tonight onwards. Drastic action is needed to get some wins. 

Rhodes may not be the answer but if you don't try then you will never know. 

Rhodes has to take some responsibilty as well. Yes our attacking play ain't great but neither is his general play. He has to adapt even slightly and he hasn't.

He probably has deserved longer runs but more than one manager hasnt done it. We won't know reasons for this.

Give him some games and service and we will see.

And he isnt and never been our best player. Transfer fees dont make you a good player.

I feel it was a sitter on Saturday, I really did.

• Haha 1