Scrap/reformat football heaven?

“B***dy rubbish!” 

“Mind your language Dave. Have you been to the game?”

”No I listened on’t wireless”

Next up Mark

”Ya know yeah, I fink that Chansiri’s ad enuff yeah and I fink e wonts art but e wants too much money and I’m werried abart weir we going”

Brian what’s on your mind?

”Wilder, we’ve had enough and believe you me, it’s time to get down to bramall lane and protest”

”But Brian this is statistically one of the best managers you’ve ever had”

“I’ve managed in football Adam and believe you me, he’s not playing the right players or formation. He needs to start Billy Sharpe and Sean Bean up front and it needs to be 4-4-2”

• Haha 7

Haven't listened for years.

As others say: think it started to go down hill once they lost Walker, Staton etc.

It's just a bit of a tired old format really, isn't it? These football phone ins were all the rage back in the 00s etc.,but now they are largely inhabited by the regular oddballs callers who fancy themselves as some sort of whacky local celeb.

Think that's the same for local radio and the bigger national stations.

This is something I have been thinking about for a while. I think the main issue, and this is just a personal opinion, there isn't a great presenter on the team anymore. Giddings is probably the best but when you consider he was probably the third best three years ago that tells you all there is to know. Mike is fine but a bit bland at times and Adam tries hard and is clearly enthusiastic but neither him or Mike tends to challenge people like a Paul Walker or Rob Staton used to.

I'd probably have two presenters on most nights and not just when they have games to commentate on, it means they can bounce ideas off each other and it isn't just one person listening to the views of fans of six different clubs. It worked before with Rob and Jonathan Buchan, Buchan was an average presenter but was better alongside Rob.

It's a tricky one, would it be better if it was on less? Maybe but football is all over the place at the moment, and it is something to listen to for an hour. A big problem for me is when someone like Phil the Man City fan comes on talking about things not to do with the local area (or even football) then cut him off, maybe some different guests on, The Wednesday Week seem to be able to pull in some good guests with what they have been doing, I'm sure Radio Sheffield could do similar. 

No issue with regular callers and most of them I actually like listening to, you need people like that with a show like Football Heaven. Praise or Grumble's problem is you always end up with the presenter having a good view of the game they have been at and clueless about the others, not their fault of course, but there's only so many times you can hear "Were you at the game? No I was at Hillsborough" before it gets a bit tiresome.

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Haven't listened for years.

As others say: think it started to go down hill once they lost Walker, Staton etc.

It's just a bit of a tired old format really, isn't it? These football phone ins were all the rage back in the 00s etc.,but now they are largely inhabited by the regular oddballs callers who fancy themselves as some sort of whacky local celeb.

Think that's the same for local radio and the bigger national stations.

Absolutely, 606 seems to revolve around the same handful of regular callers. 

Guest Hornsby

Come on, a little unfair.

First, context. Call ins are cheap radio so here to stay.

Yes, current presenters poor, usual BBC white, middle class males when best footy reporters now all female, from Frostick to Cates. .

Yes , Pearson correct , local press is Pravda wearing Prada. That's why they are local.

No way they gonna discuss Doyen or Bin Laden. Reporters, not investigators.

But for those of us that have left our fair city, it is a vital link to home and our great Communities, Owls and others.

Similarly , the recent work on mental health was really interesting, especially during these terrible times.

To hear these gruff,  egoist local male footy fans confessing their health issues has been both educational and helpful, to all.

But do please phone -in. Don't be put off by Giddings intellectual snobbery. Most on here , more than a match.

Praise or grumble & Football Heaven both used to be really good when it was Paul Walker and Seth Bennett. 

The whole format needs a revamp now though.  I hate to say it but the way Talk sport get as many and such a variety of people to phone in is there's two presenters who both disagree with each other and both of them play good cop bad cop and say things that will make people furious. Could this work on Radio Sheffield? 

Piggings: It's Sam on the line, Sam, what say you?

Simple Sam: Ah fink, ah fink, ah fink, ah fink........................ah mean, ah fink, ah fink, ah fink.......................ah fink, ah mean, ah fink, ah fink...........................................................ah fink...............ah fink wi'll win 'em.

Piggings: Sam, thanks for your call.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Grandad said:

Bet it's been 3 years since I last listened

Got sick to death of Brian the Blade and the tedious as hell Mark the Pitsmoor Owl - that Rotherham fan who sound as thick as mince (Mick?)

If Radio Sheffield want to get it back to anywhere like it was they need to ban all of them

Well said grandad. Pompous Rawmarsh, the happy clapper, Mark the OTT faked fanaticism, Brian the senile Blunt, the Donny fan who thinks it clever to call everybody "Mr", Stuart who could send bricks to sleep and the number of times he says (about 10 times) " the last thing I want to say", most of the other regular Owls are excellent, and I quite like Brian the Miller and the two Blunts, 2-1 Ken and Dave the Bolton Blunt.

Used to love Ahmed the taxi driver and the elderly lady, both Owls, who both seem to have disappeared.

The programme is now a sad pastiche of its former glories.

8 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Piggings: It's Sam on the line, Sam, what say you?

Simple Sam: Ah fink, ah fink, ah fink, ah fink........................ah mean, ah fink, ah fink, ah fink.......................ah fink, ah mean, ah fink, ah fink...........................................................ah fink...............ah fink wi'll win 'em.

Piggings: Sam, thanks for your call.

You missed the " ah fink we should go at them from the start".

what is it about this mark the pitsmoor owl anyways? he lived in pitsmoor was that an upgrade on moss side manchester? then he went up the ladder to gleadless valley l o l now he is back in pitsmoor my god cant he aim higher  like say shiregreen ? bit like in football us having an upgrade from pelepessy to potter . i listen at most a couple of times a week but same few always on sounds like question time repeating the same callers word for word.  mind who listens to radio in this day an age? a few mins a week of that and thats my lot. 

• Haha 1

I never listen. Radio shows are competing with platforms like Owlstalk, Facebook, Twitter etc. It has a place I guess but it’s not going to evolve much because it’s target audience are people who like things to stay the same. My dads 80 and he says it’s to dated for him to bother with! We used to listen on the way to games and then on the way home but now we just look at our screens for all of the pre-match news and post match analysis.

Guest Hornsby
31 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Well said grandad. Pompous Rawmarsh, the happy clapper, Mark the OTT faked fanaticism, Brian the senile Blunt, the Donny fan who thinks it clever to call everybody "Mr", Stuart who could send bricks to sleep and the number of times he says (about 10 times) " the last thing I want to say", most of the other regular Owls are excellent, and I quite like Brian the Miller and the two Blunts, 2-1 Ken and Dave the Bolton Blunt.

Used to love Ahmed the taxi driver and the elderly lady, both Owls, who both seem to have disappeared.

The programme is now a sad pastiche of its former glories.

Don't let the booze , bluff and cant make you miss the message.

Both Pitsmoor Mark and Brian the Blade do sometimes make good points.

Stop with intellectual snobbery and call in.

7 hours ago, terrycurran said:

Absolutely, 606 seems to revolve around the same handful of regular callers. 

You do get a lot of the same callers but I still put 606 in the background and find it enjoyable. I think that a lot of it is because they have different features and have two presenters on. 

I enjoy the Monday Night club that 5 Live do too where they have 3 people in the studio talking about the week's  events. I'm sure that Radio Sheffield could do that maybe once  week to debate what's happening at local clubs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, morganowl said:

what is it about this mark the pitsmoor owl anyways? he lived in pitsmoor was that an upgrade on moss side manchester? then he went up the ladder to gleadless valley l o l now he is back in pitsmoor my god cant he aim higher  like say shiregreen ? bit like in football us having an upgrade from pelepessy to potter . i listen at most a couple of times a week but same few always on sounds like question time repeating the same callers word for word.  mind who listens to radio in this day an age? a few mins a week of that and thats my lot. 

he's one of the reasons i stopped listening unfortunately, made some good points at times but then he thought he was famous 😀

Guest Therealrealist
20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When Rob Staton used to do it you could tell he was punching himself in the face, rolling his eyes and then just taking a deep breath before absolutely making total mincemeat out of the puddings that called up and spouted nonsense

Paul Walker was similar - never messed - just called idiots out to their faces

Seth Bennett was a bit nicer but then he is a big cuddly teddybear in real life anyway

What does he do now? Havnt heard him on owt for ages

As bad as Football Heaven is (or isn't), I'd rather listen to that than watch all these dumb4ss, low budget "celebrity does this" / "celebrity does that" reality (not at all) shows we get lumbered with.

Having said that, "Celebrity Bricklaying" would be a good watch, seeing  Gemma Collins trying her best with a Dutch Bond and Gordon Ramsey having one of his hissy fits and getting filled in by a six foot nine hod carrier.