What’s Your Opinion

No points this season after going behind shows our squad just hasn't got the mental capacity to come back. It's therefore madness to go on the defensive from the off, we may as well set off on the front foot & give it a go. At least if we go infront we've got something to defend. 

10 minutes ago, NobbyStyle said:

I hate it when Managers/coaches even players say in pre match pressers things like 

“we’ve watched their videos so we know how they set up”

Play to your strengths, try to win a game don’t over analyse it.
It is “tactical fads”

I’ve been into football since I left nursery in the early 70’s. I have no idea what a “false No9” is and I’m not bothered about finding out.  

This 100%.

Would't it be refreshing to have a manager who said they had no idea what the opposites would do and generally didn't care. 

Their only focus should be on how we are going to play and then on the day seeing how it pans out  and what if any tactical tweaks are required. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

Managers at Sheffield Wednesday who play defensively lose games and get sacked

Managers who start off attacking and do well, but then change strategy and play more defensively end up losing games and getting sacked

Managers who play offensively, with attacking football and who continue to do so are the ones and the only ones who are ever successful

When we go for it we win games and succeed

When we don't and we over complicate it and start thinking tactically about the other side, shutting up shop, hoping for goals on the break, we lose games 

It's pure simple facts

Also - football players don't fall in love with the game by wanting to play defensive football where you defend for 90 minutes and hope to get a lucky break - therefore when they're asked to play like that they don't enjoy it, don't flourish and don't play as well as they could

I also think that fans who say things like 'we haven't got the players to do it' or 'we'd get hammered if we tried that' are simply overcomplicating their thinking about football.

No matter what current hype or spin there is about football being a complex game, and all these different tactics, styles, approaches are needed are just that - fads

That's my opinion

More than happy to be proven wrong

I've always said from the early 80's only Wednesday beat Wednesday. It always seems to be when it matters we change tactics or don't turn up or try to be too clever.

I would also add that the crowd at Hillsborough will immediately recognise an attacking approach in a game and suck the ball into the net if they see the team going for it

On the flip side they'll rip players to shreds if they see hoofball, header tennis in the centre circle or playing defensively and hoping to nick a game 1-0

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I would also add that the crowd at Hillsborough will immediately recognise an attacking approach in a game and suck the ball into the net if they see the team going for it

On the flip side they'll rip players to shreds if they see hoofball, header tennis in the centre circle or playing defensively and hoping to nick a game 1-0

Particularly under Wilkinson even being behind at half time wasn't a big concern as we were usually kicking towards the kop in the second half and we knew we'd have them under pressure right from the kick off.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The only time we get away with defensive tactics is if we break quickly and draw the opposition on to us but for years we haven't been able to break quickly for lack of pace. Even this though has to work or the crowd gets restless quite easily.

3 hours ago, owlsruleok said:

Why oh why do we set up our formation to counteract the opposition.

Why not let them set up to counter ours. 

Game after game there’s no pattern of play apart from humping the ball upfield, I realise we are not Barcelona but at least we could try to play a nice type of football because this system isn’t working.

Chey Dunkley IMO is a huge problem, he has no talent and this has been obvious most times he has played. 

I know he will have a few fans but Paterson is not the answer up front, we should stick with Rhodes ( yes some of you don’t like him ). 

It’s ok stating we need heart and the will to fight but we also require skill and that is very sadly lacking. Stick with Kachunga, Alex Hunt, Andre Green, Urhoghide plus Dom Iorfa (when fit) and bring back Izzy Brown then keep a settled team. 

Some of you may say negative comments about this but FFS look where we are in the table and I am sure they will not be any worse than what we have had to put up with this frigging season.

This type of football? well Liverpool couldnt deal with it from Everton,no solution to it at all,and our neighbours were undone by the long ball too at the weekend.....Its because we dont do it well thats the issue, Take Barnsley in our division as an example,very direct,and playing well up the field,with the defence pushing forward too,catching the opposition continually offside..

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

Managers at Sheffield Wednesday who play defensively lose games and get sacked

Managers who start off attacking and do well, but then change strategy and play more defensively end up losing games and getting sacked

Managers who play offensively, with attacking football and who continue to do so are the ones and the only ones who are ever successful

When we go for it we win games and succeed

When we don't and we over complicate it and start thinking tactically about the other side, shutting up shop, hoping for goals on the break, we lose games 

It's pure simple facts

Also - football players don't fall in love with the game by wanting to play defensive football where you defend for 90 minutes and hope to get a lucky break - therefore when they're asked to play like that they don't enjoy it, don't flourish and don't play as well as they could

I also think that fans who say things like 'we haven't got the players to do it' or 'we'd get hammered if we tried that' are simply overcomplicating their thinking about football.

No matter what current hype or spin there is about football being a complex game, and all these different tactics, styles, approaches are needed are just that - fads

That's my opinion

More than happy to be proven wrong

Bang on Neil.

I think when Pulis got the push and NT took over he just took the shackles off the players and let them go for it. The players obviously responded positively and were in a much happier frame of mind. 

Since then and more observant than ever on saturday we seem to be far more worried about the opposition, whoever they may be. This has resulted in a much more defensive application and to a degree the shackles have gone back on. 

We need to have a freedom to play attitude with the players which may be more risky but something I am sure the players would welcome and may get some results. 

As proved under Pulis negative play produces more often than not negative results. Let the opposition worry about us not vice versa.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Owlinator said:

Rhodes has to start every game. We have no choice, I dont understand why he got dropped again.

In the past I could understand why we picked the likes of Fletcher, Hooper, FF over Rhodes, genuine quality players with a special quality that JR couldn’t quite match. Whereas now...utterly perplexing! 

Our style of play is the problem. We are obsessed with launching long balls every possession and in order for that to work you need somebody good in the air and somebody fast to chase the flick on = Paterson & Windass.

As much as I like his attitude I think Paterson is probably one of the worst strikers we’ve had in recent years. Apart from being ‘physical’ and ‘works hard’ offers nothing, belongs in L1. Zero technical ability and whenever he scores it looks like a fluke, like he didn’t mean to do it...genuinely like a comedy show sometimes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Owlstastic said:

The selection, formation and 'style' on Saturday was a disaster.

We have two decent wingers. Play them on the correct side and cross into Rhodes plus Paterson or Kachunga - simple but can be effective. 

If it doesn't work, fair enough - but at least we get relegated trying to be positive. 

I'd rather go down playing like that than have to endure the aimless hoofball we saw against Birmingham. 

Well said sir

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Bang on Neil.

I think when Pulis got the push and NT took over he just took the shackles off the players and let them go for it. The players obviously responded positively and were in a much happier frame of mind. 

Since then and more observant than ever on saturday we seem to be far more worried about the opposition, whoever they may be. This has resulted in a much more defensive application and to a degree the shackles have gone back on. 

We need to have a freedom to play attitude with the players which may be more risky but something I am sure the players would welcome and may get some results. 

As proved under Pulis negative play produces more often than not negative results. Let the opposition worry about us not vice versa.

Maybe it’s just me but I never really noticed the shackles coming off.  With the exception of the Bournemouth game, I think we’ve been pretty poor and a little fortunate to win so many games since Thompson took over.  I really think we have little chance of staying up now, but have to start every game with Rhodes up top, Harris at RWB and Reach at LWB.  Would prefer to see Hutchinson as part of a back 3, but without Shaw and Luongo, he probably has to start in midfield with Bannan.  Lees and Urhoghide deserve to start at the back, the other 4 names you could draw out of a hat for me.

Why do we have ' wing backs ' these days and not ' wing forwards ' ? I'm sure we would offer more of a threat if we played 4 4 2  with Reach and Harris pushing forward , rather than running back .

Dare I say it ,Colin's philosophy of playing without the notepad giving players some freedom  to push on [or do we call it a 'high press' these days?] has some merit .

• Like 1

Thompson started off by letting the players play to their strengths and let the shackles off, it worked and results started coming. 

Then...

He has done what Monk, Pulis have done by going defensive and concentrating on the opposition and making sure we don’t lose quite happy to play for a point and good it forward while playing players out of position and dropping players that have performed well.

Oh for the days of concentrating on us and our shape to attack teams and win games, hopefully one day this will return under a forward thinking manager. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attack, attack, attack...even when defending, don't just block the shot, pass, corner, throw-in, TAKE the ball and make the opponent defend.  

Easy to say, especially when the "sayer" isn't a Player.

I honestly think the Squad is quality,  but, the Squad are employee's, and will do what their employer tells them to do, even when they (the Squad) know that it's stupid...

Still, I don't honestly believe the SWFC will be playing 3rd Tier in 2021-22.   If so, see you there.

WAWAW.

The approach against Birmingham was unforgiveable 

We was 5 games unbeaten 

They had 1 win in 11

And we set up to counter THEIR strengths 

Like I said in another thread

We need a manager who has a set of B0ll0cks who will go for it 

And make the opposition worry about us

• Like 1
  • Love 1